PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Starting Problems

Northerner
07-01-2009, 20:11
Anyone else having issues starting the R5 from cold in this recent cold snap?

It can take upto 5 minutes of cranking to start but when it warms up, it will start ok.

Fuel is getting to the carb and there is a decent spark.

However, when I pulled the fuel line from the carb to test the fuel pump, the fuel that was pumped into the container became cloudy after a few seconds and appear to freeze. Is this commonplace and how do I stop this?

bones660
07-01-2009, 20:15
Anyone else having issues starting the R5 from cold in this recent cold snap?

It can take upto 5 minutes of cranking to start but when it warms up, it will start ok.

Fuel is getting to the carb and there is a decent spark.

However, when I pulled the fuel line from the carb to test the fuel pump, the fuel that was pumped into the container became cloudy after a few seconds and appear to freeze. Is this commonplace and how do I stop this?
park in a heated garage:laugh:

RICHIE
07-01-2009, 20:16
are you using the choke

Northerner
07-01-2009, 20:20
are you using the choke

Yes - at varying levels

RICHIE
07-01-2009, 20:23
Yes - at varying levels

check dizzy cap for cracks as maybe the damp wether is causing moisture to get in and obviously check leads plugs ect

Northerner
07-01-2009, 20:29
Its got a new dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads

jantheeven
07-01-2009, 21:53
Weird... yesterday I started the car when it was -12C outside and it started right away. When it's hot, it doesn't start half as good as when it's freezing :laugh:

dangerous dave
07-01-2009, 22:53
mines a bit of a git to start, but only if i pump the pedal.. if i just turn the key it fires, but if i then touch the gas it conks out, so have to feed the choke in carefully with a very light rev and then its fine.. :)

TomH
08-01-2009, 20:17
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I find the same thing Dave, as soon as i try to give it beans it dies, im not sure why this is, perhaps too much cold air getting in and cooling the fuel too much?
I just have to try and start it a few times, not the end of the world but not good for the battery!