PDA

View Full Version : Hunting idle when cold

bishy3000
03-10-2013, 01:26
I have a 5 with an f7p from an r19. When I start it cold the engine hunts between 1.5k and 500rpm then just when it sounds like its cutting out it will rev up to 2k and start the hunting again. It never actually cuts out but it gets close. It only does it until the engine is warm then it idles fine.
If you try to drive straight after starting it still does the same and you have no power it just splutters a bit then it kicks in.
I thought maybe idle speed valve but as soon as the engine warms up it runs fine.
Any ideas?
Anyone had this before?
Thanks

kial
03-10-2013, 07:13
This used to happen in my old valver.

Mark mentioned it could have been a cold start injector fault or just tired injectors overall.

Could be idle valve also

Get a few more opinions in an start trying different things mate

Gtturbo
03-10-2013, 07:15
Had this on my valver and willy and it was the ISCV both times.

Or try the CTS (coolant temp sensor).

bishy3000
03-10-2013, 08:02
Cheers guys
The cold start injector seems most logical so far as it only happens when cold.
I've had a valver before and had to replace the ISCV because something similar was happening, it was hunting when idle constantly then though, it didn't matter wether it was cold or warmed up.
That's what confuses me, the fact it's fine when warmed up.
I'm not much of a mechanic and didn't know that cold start injectors existed, how would I check something like that?
Thanks

bishy3000
03-10-2013, 08:05
I also remember when my ISCV went on my valver the car would drive fine, no spluttering or anything when pulling away.