PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues wont start afer 12 hrs standing

Numptysnumnuts
02-10-2013, 13:06
Right I have looked here and whilst it sort of addresses my problem it doesn't do it 100%.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=645&highlight=Starting+Issues

Issue:-

Car will not start from cold. Tried with choke in, choke out, pumping the gas pedal a few times with choke and without. It might start after 10 - 15 attempts or 2nd time if I use easi start which is becoming a bit of a pain. Although I will admit that Toni and Kris managed to start it first time but they are the only ones.

Now strange thing is that once it starts I can turn off ignition after a couple of minutes and it will restart no issues. I can even drive it to a place and leave it for 8 - 9 hours and it will start first time but if I leave it any longer than that I have to go through the easi start or flatten my battery to get her going again.

I have looked at the plugs individually so making sure that I do not mess the firing order up (Mike and Toni rebuilt engine and gearbox and set it up. So should be right :ashamed:) and the plugs have some degree of blackness indicating its slightly rich (tick over 1100). I know this is slightly high but I can assure you I have not touched the carb settings. The only thing I have changed is the lobster pot on the top as the one I had was the Chinese variant that caused dents in my bonnet and I now have a proper one but surely this cant be the reason for this strange starting issue

The battery is brand new and holds a good charge and to make doubly sure I even popped it on charger to make sure its topped up but still the problem continues.

Its gone through 2 full tanks of gas since its rebuild and responds to gas pedal demands without hesitation so I cant see it being crap in the fuel lines as I would have thought it would be noticed whilst driving.

I am hoping to get it back down to Mike in the next couple of months for some new work but can anyone shed any light on why its doing this?

R5's aren't afraid of the dark are they? :rolleyes: As this is the only thing I can think of why it will not start.

Brigsy
02-10-2013, 13:12
How often do you use it? The carb bowl needs to fill up if you leave it for long periods without use. This results in loads of cranking.

If you use it regular and still have the same problem, i would suggest trying half choke and holding the throttle open by a 1/4 when cranking.

If you pump the throttle this usually makes them harder to start.

Remember, these engines are stone age now and wont start like a modern car:wasntme: