PDA

View Full Version : Head removal - advice please

jonnygtt
29-09-2013, 14:10
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all,

Need to remove the head as I have to drop off the sump and replace a con rod. Is it possible to leave the turbo / water pump on the head when it is removed?

Guess it would be easier to replace both the con rod and the piston so I don't need to muck about with gudgeon pins too. Is it OK to replace just one con rod / piston assembly, or is that asking for trouble (current pistons/rods are standard)?

Thanks folks.

Markey Mark (BD)
29-09-2013, 14:44
You can remove the head complete with manifolds, turbo and waterpump still fitted

If you have a complete piston/rod still in its liner its ok to just use the one, I've done it plenty of times. Just make sure what your fitting is good enough as its a lot of work to take it back out if its not

jonnygtt
29-09-2013, 14:49
Brilliant, thanks mate, appreciated much.

J$£5GTT
29-09-2013, 20:53
hi mate,as marky has said,i also have done this a load of times,nice fresh liner seal and make sure your replacing a good usable con rod/piston an liner!

whilst head is off you will be able to sort other things in the bay that are hard to get at with the head on!

DaveL485
30-09-2013, 01:04
Make sure the piston is the right way around when you fit it.

When you switch the big end bearings in the rod make sure they are spotlessly clean, you don't rotate the placement and they seat correctly.

Check the bore for abnormal wear.

Check the piston/rings for abnormal wear.

I would usually prefer fitting a used piston and liner pair (that have worn together).