PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal.

casper
27-09-2013, 13:56
:confused:Since my clutch cable snapped i have had a few niggles in trying to get it set up as before.I have managed to sort it by turning the pedal stop upside down as the problem is as soon as the pedal touches the stop the quadrant pops out of the ratchet.Turning the stop round holds the pedal that bit further away and prevents this.What am i doing wrong?Valeo green box clutch by the way.

DaveL485
27-09-2013, 16:06
:confused:Since my clutch cable snapped i have had a few niggles in trying to get it set up as before.I have managed to sort it by turning the pedal stop upside down as the problem is as soon as the pedal touches the stop the quadrant pops out of the ratchet.Turning the stop round holds the pedal that bit further away and prevents this.What am i doing wrong?Valeo green box clutch by the way.

Cable is too long. Space the fork end out a bit. It's releasing the quadrant on its self adjusting ratchet by the sound of it.

Either that or you threaded it wrong....did you feed it through the loop at the top of the quadrant?

casper
27-09-2013, 17:00
Cable is too long. Space the fork end out a bit. It's releasing the quadrant on its self adjusting ratchet by the sound of it.

Either that or you threaded it wrong....did you feed it through the loop at the top of the quadrant?

:agree:Its an oe cable Dave routed the same way as the old one which is the correct way in the clips.I think.You are right though that is exactly what the problem is the quadrant is popping out when it gets to the pedal stop.Unless as stated i turn the stop upside down.

casper
27-09-2013, 17:04
:agree:Yeah i threaded it through the loop.

DaveL485
27-09-2013, 18:36
Try spacing the cable out at the fork end, see if that helps. If it does, you know you have the wrong cable, or quadrant. IIRC there was more than one quadrant for the R5 and they are not interchangeable. Might be the wrong quadrant?

Also check that your ratchet teeth on the auto adjust are OK and there's no bits missing.

casper
27-09-2013, 19:22
Try spacing the cable out at the fork end, see if that helps. If it does, you know you have the wrong cable, or quadrant. IIRC there was more than one quadrant for the R5 and they are not interchangeable. Might be the wrong quadrant?

Also check that your ratchet teeth on the auto adjust are OK and there's no bits missing.

I have checked the teeth Dave and they look ok to me.The quadrant is the black one with the white ratchet if that makes sense.The cable is off mike and looks the same as the one it replaced.When i first changed it and let it auto adjust the biting point was too low so i removed the stop and held the quadrant against the ratchet at a point i thought would be ok now the biting point is really high as before but with the said problem.

DaveL485
28-09-2013, 11:11
So it returns the pedal higher if you moved the stop right?

Put it back how it was and work from there. Something isn't right and you wont fix that by making something else wrong, IYSWIM.