PDA

View Full Version : Rad Fan Switch [low temp]

raj
06-01-2009, 21:17
while scoff and matt where going over my engine i noticed that the rad fan didnt kick in by itself and had to be bridged for it to work.

the rad fan switch thats in situ is brand new and is a normal temp switch.

firstly, is there anyway of checking the actual switch is faulty.?

just to add, my cooling system is shortened and ive done away with the swirlpot, my thermostat [brand new oe temp] has been drilled [3mm hole] to aid bleeding. my water temp sensor is also new. my rad is bigger than a std gtt one too.

any ideas why my rad fan isnt kicking in..? my temparature kept creeping up until the needle was nearly vertical..!!!! i cant see there being any air in the system either as the header tank is relocated to behind the scuttle so its the highest point and air would route itself to there would it not.?

anyway, im thinking of buying a low temp rad fan switch but i refuse to pay the stupendous price what cgb (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-5-GT-TURBO-LOW-TEMPERATURE-FAN-SWITCH-78-65-DEG_W0QQitemZ160248663253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item160248663253&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) is asking for them:sad2:
no does anyone know where i could get a low temp radfan switch for a reasonable price.?

Kris M
06-01-2009, 21:20
Check / replace the rad fan relay Raj, same happened to me the other week ( although my fan was on constantly ) and it was the relay at fault

Also, once or twice after bleeding my cooling system ive still had air in there, my fan once didnt kick in because air was behing the fan switch so it wasnt in contact with the water, i bled it again and the fan suddenly came on :)

raj
06-01-2009, 21:25
Check / replace the rad fan relay Raj, same happened to me the other week ( although my fan was on constantly ) and it was the relay at fault

Also, once or twice after bleeding my cooling system ive still had air in there, my fan once didnt kick in because air was behing the fan switch so it wasnt in contact with the water, i bled it again and the fan suddenly came on :)

is the rad fan relay the thing that hangs just below the alternator? the realy branches off front the engine loom if im not mistaken..?

and is this relay the same as the perc fan relay? as i have one spare.

Kris M
06-01-2009, 21:37
thats the one mate, it should clip to the alternator splash guard thing...yeah same as the perc fan and AEI relay etc

raj
06-01-2009, 21:52
thats the one mate, it should clip to the alternator splash guard thing...yeah same as the perc fan and AEI relay etc

nice one:agree: ill give the relay a try before anything else.

Shane P
06-01-2009, 22:02
my thermostat [brand new oe temp] has been drilled [3mm hole] to aid bleeding

It wouldnt bleed normally with the shortened cooling system?

raj
06-01-2009, 22:05
It wouldnt bleed normally with the shortened cooling system?

is that a question or are you telling me :confused:

Shane P
06-01-2009, 22:11
Sorry, that wasnt ment to sound arsy, it was just a question for future reference :)

I did put a question mark at the end :)

Chris Hebden
06-01-2009, 22:44
Raj as we managed to get the fan to work by bridging the 2wires it wont be anything but the switch i wouldnt have thought. Whats not happening is the switch in the rad isnt bridging the 2wires, like we did with that bit of wire.

Stick a new switch in from another working car if you can just to find out. I know the switch is new but doesnt always mean that it'll work