PDA

View Full Version : Group A Carb

toby
06-01-2009, 14:25
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I bought a K-tec Group A carb before reading up on here that they are a total waste of money. What should I do it to make it better to use? E.g better fueling, better power.

Thanks.

Bigfoot
06-01-2009, 14:59
Place on eBay and get a normal Carb, money in pocket and better fueling.

r5 rich
06-01-2009, 15:27
Have to agree with Dale. I bought a 5 with one on and it over fueled the car badly meaning I was getting really rubbish miles per gallon and the air fuel ratios were well off. I sold my one for a silly amount on ebay and bought a 2nd hard carb and had the jets suited to the cars engine itself.:)

Tiny Tim
06-01-2009, 15:31
Unfortunately, all Grp A carbs are good for is making money on ebay from those who dont realise they're cack :(

Markey Mark (BD)
06-01-2009, 17:25
Best thing you could do with it mate is change the larger venturi back to standard size one and then jet it correctly for your car.

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-01-2009, 17:46
If it runs fine assuming you have it on, depending on how /if its been set up correctly regards the boost settings i would say leave it well alone, so called group a carbs are over priced re-jetted carbs in my opinion, they get a right roasting on here thats for sure , just make sure if you get another carb it gets set up well etc and/or its a good unit as it will be a nightmare else wise....:(, im thinkin of selling group j carbs..:laugh:

jantheeven
06-01-2009, 18:00
I recently installed an old K-tec gp A carb, just to try it and see what the AFRs were like... and I must say it's fine! AFR's are better than my modified and re-jetted standard card and it doesn't overfuel at all during normal cruising: AFRs in the mid 13s. In high gears, WOT and full boost (21 psi) I get low 12s. Idle AFR is in the low/mid 14s.
So... I really don't understand what all the fuss is about with the gp A carb. Can someone explain please?

Tiny Tim
06-01-2009, 18:03
I'd hazard a guess and say you're luckily running the right amount of boost for the jets installed in it.

The fact is, the tuners 'Group A' carb was sold as an off-the-shelf bolt on goody. As im sure you'll know, there's NO way a carb will be suitable for 2 different cars running 2 different boost levels.

Markey Mark (BD)
06-01-2009, 18:03
I recently installed an old K-tec gp A carb, just to try it and see what the AFRs were like... and I must say it's fine! AFR's are better than my modified and re-jetted standard card and it doesn't overfuel at all during normal cruising: AFRs in the mid 13s. In high gears, WOT and full boost (21 psi) I get low 12s. Idle AFR is in the low/mid 14s.
So... I really don't understand what all the fuss is about with the gp A carb. Can someone explain please?

To be honest some of the suposed 'group A' do fuel ok but most just overfuel the car loads apart from WOT, there not even group A just given the name there original carbs withy the jets changed and the venturi enlarge.

Tiny Tim
06-01-2009, 18:04
To be honest some of the suposed 'group A' do fuel ok but most just overfuel the car loads apart from WOT, there not even group A just given the name there original carbs withy the jets changed and the venturi enlarge.

Umm. One particular tuner didnt even touch the venturi. Air corrector, Main jet, new gaskets and a clean.

Andrew Cooke
06-01-2009, 18:06

optimised for LHD ;)

Markey Mark (BD)
06-01-2009, 18:10
Umm. One particular tuner didnt even touch the venturi. Air corrector, Main jet, new gaskets and a clean.

Who was that then mate? I know most of the old skool tuners went larger venturi

Tiny Tim
06-01-2009, 18:13
PM Mark.

bones660
06-01-2009, 19:17
If it runs fine assuming you have it on, depending on how /if its been set up correctly regards the boost settings i would say leave it well alone, so called group a carbs are over priced re-jetted carbs in my opinion, they get a right roasting on here thats for sure , just make sure if you get another carb it gets set up well etc and/or its a good unit as it will be a nightmare else wise....:(, im thinkin of selling group j carbs..:laugh:

your a bit behind bud . i am already selling grp k carbs . slightly better than the j carbs . :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Scoff
06-01-2009, 19:35

you've been lucky, thats your answer ;) maybe you have a 27mm choke, even just upping that to 27.5mm which most where it all starts to get pretty horrible. any bigger than that and it's a real waste of time.

I've seen my fair share that work OK too but the truth is that its always easier to jet a standard carb. if you spend equal time on each venturi you'll always get the nicer overall fueling from the standard one, you can have them run in 14's tootling around, no problem atall still with low 12's on boost.

I suppose it might be worth while jetting up the bigger choke if there was going to be some performance gain, but there isn't most of the time.

toby
06-01-2009, 21:15
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks for all the replys, but tbh I'm new to carbs.

I was recommended by a friend to get it set-up by BB Tuning, and to change the jet I have in the Group A to a smaller one, but still larger than standard.

Opinions?

scratcher
06-01-2009, 22:54
I know nothing about carbs but I'd stay with standard and re-jet that as everyone advises it and have had good results.
And talking group A, I've got a group A christmas tree :laugh:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/SDC11335-1.jpg

Nayls
06-01-2009, 23:21
I know nothing about carbs but I'd stay with standard and re-jet that as everyone advises it and have had good results.
And talking group A, I've got a group A christmas tree :laugh:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/SDC11335-1.jpg

Just you wait for the leccy bill! Them tree light's use loads of leccy on the old Group a trees!

jantheeven
07-01-2009, 07:34
your a bit behind bud . i am already selling grp k carbs . slightly better than the j carbs . :coffee::coffee::coffee:

"Engine: fully blown 2.0 8v turbo motor . pushing out a whopping 1060 bhp @ the wheels running 100 bar of boost."

:laugh: :wasntme: