PDA

View Full Version : Need Someone to set up carb in North West

The Baron
11-09-2013, 16:33
Hi,

Can anybody recommend someone who sets up carbs in or around Manchester. Please let them be trustworthy, am losing patience with the Baron and am losing trust in mechanics.
Thanks in advance.

Red October
11-09-2013, 17:05
GT josh
GT matt
GT Phil

Any of those three are in Manchester and understand the dark arts of the solex.

GTphil
11-09-2013, 17:11
Where abouts are you in Manchester? Do you have an afr gauge?

And honestly it's actually quite straight forward we could easily guide you through it on here.

The Baron
11-09-2013, 17:57
Around Burnage, the car is stored in Withington.

Thanks

GTphil
11-09-2013, 18:33
I don't mind having a look for you, you would have to come to me tho in sunny Burnley, or give us an idea of what engine/turbo/cooler you have and we can give you and idea of jet sizes and anything else that might need doing.

The Baron
11-09-2013, 18:48
Thank you very much for the offer. RE engine, bar the bits i have done not really sure what is in there. I had receipts for lots of bits when i bought the car but these had been stripped off before i got it (Fortunately i did not buy the car because of the receipts)
Recently is has had
1. Performance Refurb Cyclinder head with Piper springs from CGB
2.Turbo Technics Stage 3 T25/T25 Turbo again from CGB
3. RE: Cooler i think this is just a double capacity, its not the standard with plastic top/bottom but amay not be double capacity

Thats about all i know. Ideally i would like to do this myself as we've all got to learn sometime. I have just taken the car to local garage for MOT and he did not even try to put it through. It is smoking pretty bad and he thinks it may just be the set up of the carb as the HC levels were V high. 1776 tickover, 2400 3500 revs. This carb was set up by Ric Wood over in Davenport before it blew up but as mentioned i would like to learn to do this myself (And i cant afford to take it to another garage). Therefore any suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated.
many thanks

Nottswoody
11-09-2013, 19:01
My suggestion is go and see phil.. It will be cheaper in the long run as phils a top lad.. Learn off phil and do it next time.. That's what being a member is all about bud.. Get it wrong and it could be costly.

sean5gtt
11-09-2013, 20:10
I don't mind having a look for you, you would have to come to me tho in sunny Burnley, or give us an idea of what engine/turbo/cooler you have and we can give you and idea of jet sizes and anything else that might need doing.

My old hometown is Nelson, not far from Burnley LOL:agree::smokin:

B18ftMOJO5
11-09-2013, 20:23
Bring it down to scoffs end of month. There will be lots of capable hands and minds and its closish to manchester.;)

royz
11-09-2013, 21:12
i could pop over and have a look only in stockport. has the mot run out.

mk5gtt
11-09-2013, 21:59
I could pop over to if needed got a spare carb that is in good working order that just came of my car. What are the problems you are having with the carb?

GTphil
11-09-2013, 22:17
Lots of offers here, if your happy to have a go yourself and you have the kit (you don't need loads) then get the thing off and and see what jet sizes it has in already.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=15054

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4801

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4734

here is a start:agree:

With an afr gauge your laughing.

You will probably want to start off at 1 bar boost then jetting to roughly suit and take it from there.

gtmatt
11-09-2013, 22:34
Around Burnage, the car is stored in Withington.

Thanks

I thought you lived in sale of frammingham ??

GTphil
11-09-2013, 22:38
My old hometown is Nelson, not far from Burnley LOL:agree::smokin:

I actually live in Nelson, been here for 2 years now, I have noticed you mention it on a few other threads, I'm originally from Oldham.

Brigsy
11-09-2013, 22:39
What colour smoke is coming out of the exhaust?

LiamR
11-09-2013, 23:03
I was total rubbish at setting up my carb. Still no expert tbh. But one afr setup bought from Scoff and Dave Reed popped over for the evening (:agree:) he showed me what to do and I am always tinkering with my carb now.

It's not that tough to have a basic knowledge. :) am sure some of the guys up ur area will show you the way.

mk5gtt
12-09-2013, 09:56
Hi ive also got a spare aem afr gauge do you have a bung welded in your down pipe to check the afr's as you go.

The Baron
12-09-2013, 10:15
Thank you all for your ver generous offers of help and advice.
I am going to try and answer all the responses in 1 go. This may get very confusing.

Gtmatt. This car is a track day day project that three of us have. Adam indeed does live in Sale.

The car currently has NO mot so the offers of help where I have to take the car will be my last option at the moment.

GtPhil. Many thanks for your offer of help and link to the threads. If I have no joy I will be getting a trailer and coming to Burnley for a visit. Thanks again.

Brigsy. Black smoke out of exhaust

Mk5gtt. Yes I have a Ning welded in down pipe but no AFR. It would be great if we could meet if its not too much bother.

Thanks again to everybody for help. Hopefully the Red Baron may make a track day again soon

Dan

mk5gtt
12-09-2013, 12:15
Hi dont mind popping over one night to lend a hand and use the gauge to setup.pm your details and when your free and we can arrange somthing

Nad-5GTT
12-09-2013, 19:00
I'm loving the rtoc help here :cool: it's nice to know members are still helping one another out.

gtmatt
12-09-2013, 19:44
Black smoke running very rich it will be ,if car is In sale or your in area here to help