PDA

View Full Version : Measuring lift at TDC

olidaviesuk
06-01-2009, 14:03
Just a quick question, have been playing around with the cam timing on the 5, (using a DTI gauge to measure inlet lift at TDC..) just to check i've done it right no. 1 inlet valve will be the second valve in from the flywheel end or is it the second valve in from the camchain end?

Andrew Cooke
06-01-2009, 14:06
Just a quick question, have been playing around with the cam timing on the 5, (using a DTI gauge to measure inlet lift at TDC..) just to check i've done it right no. 1 inlet valve will be the second valve in from the flywheel end or is it the second valve in from the camchain end?

pretty sure that it won't matter as they are just 360 crank degrees from each other.

have you played with this? http://www.rtoc.org/cam/

olidaviesuk
06-01-2009, 14:25
Phew, thought that might be the case, I didn't have the manual to hand when I was doing it and had been working on a vauxhall smallblock in the morning which I think is the other way round from the renault, was getting 1.25mm / 0,050" measured on both valves at TDC, but always great to bounce it off someone else to check its right as well!

The valve graph is a very, very, very cool tool! Just wish it had been live when I got my cam from cat..

From looking at the curves - my cam is an in between grind of the 5500310 and 320, but I might have chanced the piper 270, but whether that might have moved the power band up a little too much than is optimum for a T2 turbo could be debatable...

Andrew Cooke
06-01-2009, 17:57
Phew, thought that might be the case, I didn't have the manual to hand when I was doing it and had been working on a vauxhall smallblock in the morning which I think is the other way round from the renault, was getting 1.25mm / 0,050" measured on both valves at TDC, but always great to bounce it off someone else to check its right as well!

The valve graph is a very, very, very cool tool! Just wish it had been live when I got my cam from cat..

From looking at the curves - my cam is an in between grind of the 5500310 and 320, but I might have chanced the piper 270, but whether that might have moved the power band up a little too much than is optimum for a T2 turbo could be debatable...

I seem to recall suggesting the piper 270 way back, my gut feeling is it'll work well well with the standard turbo. The 285 is certainly too much.