PDA

View Full Version : Poor Starting - Distributor Related?

chris_t
06-01-2009, 13:36
Hey guys just want some opinions on a problem I'm having with the 5.

Over the past few weeks the car has been a pain to start. I replaced the battery which helped a little but it was still taking around 4/5 turns of the key to start.

I've just been out and noticed the distributor cap is knackered (worn on all 4 terminals inside the cap). I've also noticed that the distributor pin which the rotar arm sits on has around 2/3mm of movement in all directions.

Should this be the case or should it have no movement at all?

Cheers,
Chris

Big Steve - Raider
06-01-2009, 13:42
The Distributor cap terminal wobbles a bit?

It's always worth buying a new one if you suspect the old part.

The amount of times i've replaced a Dizzy cap & cured a problem! :rolleyes:

Brigsy
06-01-2009, 13:45
The play in the dizzy drive shouldn't affect the starting chris, my gtt has the same amount of play, if not more & still runs fine.

Replace the cap/arm, plugs leads if they need doing, should sort it.

chris_t
06-01-2009, 13:48
The Distributor cap terminal wobbles a bit?

It's always worth buying a new one if you suspect the old part.

The amount of times i've replaced a Dizzy cap & cured a problem! :rolleyes:

Not too sure we're talking about the same thing.

I'm concerned that the movement of the rotar arm on the distributor is causing it to come into contact with the distributor cap terminals inside the cap itself. So putting a new cap and rotar arm on would not solve the problem.

chris_t
06-01-2009, 13:49
The play in the dizzy drive shouldn't affect the starting chris, my gtt has the same amount of play, if not more & still runs fine.

Replace the cap/arm, plugs leads if they need doing, should sort it.

Cheers mate, I just didnt want to buy a new cap and arm just for it to break.

Thanks for the replies guys :agree:

Nick k
06-01-2009, 23:55
Are you saying the bearing is worn in the dizzy drive shaft causing the arm to contact with the cap as it turns and knackering the cap and arm?? If so, you need to replace the dizzy drive :crap:

chris_t
07-01-2009, 16:56
Are you saying the bearing is worn in the dizzy drive shaft causing the arm to contact with the cap as it turns and knackering the cap and arm?? If so, you need to replace the dizzy drive :crap:

Thats what I was thinking but looking at the old dizzy cap it looks as though it was just worn out.

Replaced the cap and arm today and it seems to be running ok - time will tell.

Cheers for the help :D