PDA

View Full Version : trackday 5

Dudders
03-09-2013, 20:15
Had this for a while now and finally getting to grips with sorting it out for the track

Dudders
07-09-2013, 20:09
Ok today the dash was removed to make way for an aluminium one at a later date, fuel problem was solved once the pump was taken off and tested it was found to be workin fine, then proceeded to pump about two litres of somethin resembling coca Cola outta the tank!!!
Refitted it then added 2 gals of fresh fuel and pumped it into a container to make sure the good stuff was gettin through an hey Presto it fired up for the first ttime in about two years with no choke at all!
Then removed the heater unit, fitted a bypass made up of copper tube (see pics), filled up with coolant and ran till fan operated. All good for today. :)
Also took out the leaky rubber seal from the sunroof an replaced with an epdm seal to.stop the water gettin in

Dudders
07-09-2013, 20:13
Now preparing to fabricate a dash and get the cage bolted in
Happy days

TopCat
07-09-2013, 20:14
Another F plated 5 ending in EGO. Think that's 4 I've seen now.

Not heard of an Ali dash before mate- is it custom made?

Nad-5GTT
07-09-2013, 20:20
What is this seal you are using for the sunroof, mine leaks like a sieve :crap:

Dudders
07-09-2013, 20:20
I'm going to make one up as I have some aluminium about the place. Will really only be half a dash but Will have to see how carried away I get!

Dudders
07-09-2013, 20:22

I will let you know if it's good but it's a front door seal from wickes!!
Im going to test it for waterproofyness next week as its in the garage at the moment an I have given up for the night now

Nad-5GTT
08-09-2013, 21:20
I will let you know if it's good but it's a front door seal from wickes!!
Im going to test it for waterproofyness next week as its in the garage at the moment an I have given up for the night now

Put the results up here fella :agree:

w35ty
08-09-2013, 22:47
I was gonna do a ali dash before... Wouldnt mind stil doing it maybe oneday.. be good to see it all when its done mate:agree:

Dudders
04-09-2015, 21:53
OK well this is an update on what must be the longest running project ever for me!
The 5 has sat untouched for ages as it's at parents house 70 odd miles away and Mrs gets the right hump when we go down for a nice family weekend and I bury myself under the car for two days lol
Still my boy is showing an interest and helped me fit the front strut brace :D

So its been stripped
And rusty bits are being removed to weld in some acquired bits of panel (see pics)

I have (hopefully) a guy coming to collect the ally roll bar tomorrow so am in the market for a rear half cage if anyone has one??

We emptied what looked like Coca-Cola out of the fuel pump and once re filled it runs pretty sweet which is nice.

Omp seat is not fitting right even though I have an omp seat mounting kit specific for the 5 it doesn't look right?? :confused: anyone have experience with these mounting kits?

Also a question is I'm looking to have two or three sets of wheels/tyres and want some steelies or alloys but don't have to gtt ones, so I am looking at 5.5j 13 wheels or perhaps 14's of the same width but am unsure of required tyre size:confused::confused: I'm thinking as long as the stud patter of 4x100 and offset of E36? Can I use a 14in rim off say an early clip? An ideas welcomed.

More to follow

Trevhib
05-09-2015, 18:40
Great little project :agree:

I love the bypass, though you could have just put a single join between the coolant hoses :D

Dudders
06-09-2015, 13:01
Great little project :agree:

I love the bypass, though you could have just put a single join between the coolant hoses :D

Did think about that but thought I would challenge myself lol

Dudders
06-09-2015, 13:05

It was a 8mm think quick on real for a front door!!