PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning metal filings out of a chargecooler??? help...

stu21t
29-08-2013, 10:37
I've had a load of work done on my chargecooler and there's loads of metal filings inside it now.
I cut the end tanks off and grinder off the faces so they were clean/flat to have new ends welded on and also drilled a bleed hole in the water circuit.
Now I need to clean it out to refit it.
I tried washing it with parts wash, nothing. I've got a cleaner that goes on an airline and let's you fill it with brake fluid cleaner then fire air through it at 3bar, that helped but wasn't enough.

What can I do to clean it all out?
I've spoken to a local firm that make intercoolers/radiators....
They will steam clean it for me but don't guarantee to get it all out. And it's £60.
What else can I do?

Any others ways of cleaning it???

Trevhib
29-08-2013, 11:43
£60 for a steam clean! :scared:

Mart
29-08-2013, 11:46
Oil? That's pretty handy in 'collecting' metal particles, then flush out the residual oil with 'Gunk' or the such like.

JP Racing
29-08-2013, 11:50
I have been told to flush it out with petrol before from a friend who works with ally :/ never tried it myself :)

stu21t
29-08-2013, 11:57
Both good ideas, I will do them.

And yea £60 for a clean is a lot but its a lot less that a ****ed engine!

Mart
29-08-2013, 12:00
Could always plumb it in, but leave the outlet boost hose disconnected - Fire up the engine, give it a few high revs, and the charge air should help blast out any bits.

Probably best to do that when the core is completely bone dry, so that the particles have nothing to 'stick' to.

stu21t
29-08-2013, 13:04
Could always plumb it in, but leave the outlet boost hose disconnected - Fire up the engine, give it a few high revs, and the charge air should help blast out any bits.

Probably best to do that when the core is completely bone dry, so that the particles have nothing to 'stick' to.

I did think that but would like to wash it out as best I can first.

I will also try pressure washing it too.

w35ty
29-08-2013, 13:16
Maybe try some good alloy cleaner? i use it at work and gets alot of **** off.. Watch out as burns your hands too :cooter:

Trevhib
29-08-2013, 13:16
And yea £60 for a clean is a lot but its a lot less that a ****ed engine!

Absolutely. The point I was making was that it seemed a lot for a steam-cleaning service. If it's the same type of machinery, better to go to a valeting company and get it done for £15 using the thing they use to steam-clean engine bays??

stu21t
29-08-2013, 14:29
Maybe try some good alloy cleaner? i use it at work and gets alot of **** off.. Watch out as burns your hands too :cooter:

Can you recommend some that won't damage the alloy?

stu21t
29-08-2013, 14:31
Absolutely. The point I was making was that it seemed a lot for a steam-cleaning service. If it's the same type of machinery, better to go to a valeting company and get it done for £15 using the thing they use to steam-clean engine bays??

Good point. He did say that was the minimum charge they have and he would spend an hour doing it, not that I believed him lol.
I'm not going down that route now anyway, had a lot of good ideas from here,
Also been told to fill it with water and washing up liquid and slosh it about, and to flush it through with petrol

It's going to be the cleanest chargecooler ever lol

Mart
29-08-2013, 15:33
Metal particles won't 'stick' to water or petrol though.

Oil, or something that has a high viscosity (even honey would work :D)

stu21t
29-08-2013, 16:00
I was told the reason for those 2 working is that they will degrease the cooler and wash away whatever the particles are sticking to.
But I see your point.
I can flush it through with some cheap oil first and then again with cleaner after.

youngscottie
29-08-2013, 16:42
Diesel or kerosene
Won't damage the alloy finish either

Trevhib
29-08-2013, 21:19
What about one of those magnets on the end of a flexible thing, er, thing. :D

Loads of good options :)

Tutuur
29-08-2013, 22:17
I've had the same with my pace cooler as i chopped and welded it too.

I had just put it in the sink, fill with hot water and soap and then just shake and flush over and over again until no more junk came out.

I seriously advice you to not use oil. Oil may stick to the fillings but they will stick to the rest of the cooler too.

After flushing it many many times use a vac. Cleaner on one end and compressed air on the other end to make some turbulent air inside.

I had the engine which the cooler was fitted to apart and didn't find any scuffs or something in the bores.

hickman
29-08-2013, 22:32
Jet wash:cooter:cooter:

rs250nut
30-08-2013, 00:03
What about one of those magnets on the end of a flexible thing, er, thing. :D

Loads of good options :)

Aluminium sticks to magnets real mint:laugh:

Nad-5GTT
30-08-2013, 09:03
Aluminium sticks to magnets real mint:laugh:

:laugh: that is funny, we all have them moments every now and then.

Trevhib
30-08-2013, 10:41
Pah, the statement was metal filings stuck in a charge cooler. Where does it say those filings are aluminium? :cooter:

:innocent:

Mart
30-08-2013, 11:09
I seriously advice you to not use oil. Oil may stick to the fillings but they will stick to the rest of the cooler too.

Which is why I said to use 'Gunk' afterwards ;)

Ashy
30-08-2013, 11:53
Run it through the dish washer a few times too and Leave it to soak in a large bucket of hot water with a few dishwasher tablets!

rs250nut
30-08-2013, 12:40
Run it through the dish washer a few times too and Leave it to soak in a large bucket of hot water with a few dishwasher tablets!

Dishwasher part cleaning ftw

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii108/rs250nut/null_zps794fbca2.jpg

Tim B
30-08-2013, 13:05
I always use boiling water and dishwasher powder. I did think about using the dishwasher but my misses :rant: would kill me and burn my Renault :D

Ashy
30-08-2013, 21:28
I always use boiling water and dishwasher powder. I did think about using the dishwasher but my misses :rant: would kill me and burn my Renault :D

She'd have to catch you and that's a risk worth taking :smokin:

clee
30-08-2013, 22:40
You young lads ...As long as I clean up after myself then not a problem in our house ...It's my dishwasher as much as hers ...think on :coffee:;)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543418_10151892304524874_952728089_n.jpg

Ashy
30-08-2013, 22:46
It's funny how everyone takes a photo of the crime to show their mates down the pub!!! :laugh:

clee
30-08-2013, 22:54
:laugh:

Ahh but not my pic...SHE took it to prove a point to her mates on FB ....:cooter: Funny buggers them there wimmin .I did get a right round of ****s for putting the chicken's water feeder thing in with the pots :scratch::)

DaveL485
03-09-2013, 17:04
Vacuum cleaner. I tape the biggest bit of hose that will fit into the small attachment to clean out 21Turbo blocks of dust and rust around the liners without taking them out.

Basically make your own attachment for the Vac.

Maybe a toothbrush inlaid with some small silicon tube that leads back to a vacuum. Use your imagination :agree::)

And yes I use the normal household vacuum cleaner. And no, I don't have a live-in Mrs lol