PDA

View Full Version : Headlight problem

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 18:06
I have a new Renault genuine front panel.

I have offered it up to the car and something does not feel/look quite right. One side fits on like a glove (drivers) and the other is slight off (passenger side)

I have been suspecting the car to be slightly out of alignment, as I would have thought a new panel would be bang on.

Anyway decided to remove and fit the headlights with the panel off the car on a flat surface, this highlights the problem as you can see by the photos. One side fits in nice and tight (drivers) but the other there is a large gap (passenger). I have also tried another set of headlights but the problem is the same.

Good side (drivers)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/mingblus3/Panel/20130828_161723.jpg

Bad side (passenger)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/mingblus3/Panel/20130828_161716.jpg

There is not much I can do here as I am not prepared to extend the holes, basically with this wrong nothing will line up correctly.

Not good.

Could someone check how their lights sit up against the front panel. Is there a gap visible as large as this on the passenger side?

Cheers

Nad-5GTT
28-08-2013, 18:13
I had this problem too, although I used a patterned headlight surround on one side, I just enlarged the bolt holes a touch and had a little jiggery pokery about, it's not perfect but it's a renault 5 so it blends in lovely:D

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 18:18
This is a complete one piece unit and extending the holes doesn't really help in this situation. I am 100% confident this has been spot welded incorrectly. It's measuring up short on one side.

This picture is where I am seeing the problem, the other side is different and measuring my old panel this side is wrong.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/mingblus3/Panel/20130828_171557.jpg

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 18:26
The old piece here shows the gap difference between the first wing bolt hole. Shown in red

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/mingblus3/Panel/20130828_182120.jpg

NRG
28-08-2013, 18:50
Drill the spotwelds out and reweld in right place. Spot the holes up with mig and grind off .

Nad-5GTT
28-08-2013, 19:18
You keep bringing up old problems I had to overcome, I had to drill out spot welds then 're weld the bonnet hinge bracket on my headlight panel, before it was 10 - 15mm out:eek:

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 19:25
Could do but even drilling the holes will not make the light sit further back into the surround. I would have to break at least 8 spot welds and move the light cluster back.

Bloody nightmare to be honest this was not a cheap panel in the first place and should not need that many hours work to sort.

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 19:27
You keep bringing up old problems I had to overcome, I had to drill out spot welds then 're weld the bonnet hinge bracket on my headlight panel, before it was 10 - 15mm out:eek:

:eek: so my next problem will be? lol.....

TopCat
28-08-2013, 22:13
Shouldn't have to "cut and shut" a brand new panel mate. :( keep the faith though buddy. Maybe get a second hand one which you know is good? Is this a genuine panel?

mingblus3
28-08-2013, 22:49
Shouldn't have to "cut and shut" a brand new panel mate. :( keep the faith though buddy. Maybe get a second hand one which you know is good? Is this a genuine panel?

Yes genuine, still got the Renault label. I opted for a genuine one over a patent panel so that it was a better fit, the patent ones also come with the bonnet hinges pre-welded and the Renault ones do not.

I agree mate, the front panel is clearly seen when the bonnet is open and not ideal to start having to re-jig it to work.

Anyway I'm sure it will work out fine.

TopCat
28-08-2013, 22:51
Yes genuine, still got the Renault label. I opted for a genuine one over a patent panel so that it was a better fit, the patent ones also come with the bonnet hinges pre-welded and the Renault ones do not.

I agree mate, the front panel is clearly seen when the bonnet is open and not ideal to start having to re-jig it to work.

Anyway I'm sure it will work out fine.

It'll all be fine mate. I'm sure it'll get sorted. See u tomorrow afternoon!!

Trevhib
29-08-2013, 10:27
Whatever you do, make sure it's sorted properly because if you hatch it, it will surely bother you for the rest of all time. :agree: