PDA

View Full Version : best wax for black paintwork

Nad-5GTT
22-08-2013, 14:12
I've recently purchased a new car ( well New to me ) I've had alot of it resprayed a couple of weeks ago and want some help and direction in how to keep it in tip top condition. It's metallic black. Obviously most of the car is in great shape now so do I just need to apply wax, maybe clay bar before hand? What's the best wax out there peeps don't mind spending a bit but not huge amounts just quickly done a search and found waxes into the £000`s :eek: any help would be appreciated.

djinuk
22-08-2013, 14:14
colonite 476 is great imo and cheap to.. nice and easy to apply, you will want a wax applicator

Nad-5GTT
22-08-2013, 14:22
colonite 476 is great imo and cheap to.. nice and easy to apply, you will want a wax applicator

Thanks for the reply bud I'm guessing this applicator is a foam pad? Really new to this type of cleaning :ashamed:

scratcher
22-08-2013, 14:38
There's no hard set 'best' wax out there. It's all down to preference.

What do you want from a wax, glossy looks, durability? Is it garaged, living outside, daily driver or anything?
And what's the budget?

Nad-5GTT
22-08-2013, 14:48
There's no hard set 'best' wax out there. It's all down to preference.

What do you want from a wax, glossy looks, durability? And what's the budget?

I know what your saying is true, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to detailing hence me asking for advice. Glossy look is a must, and I don't think I'd want to wax it more than once a month, budget wouldn't want to spend more than £ 50

scratcher
22-08-2013, 15:04
I'd recommend Victoria Concourse. It's amazing on black, well, any colour really. It'll see 3 months before it needs topping up :agree:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-6oz-concours-wax/prod_234.html

They do a smaller tub too.

Bumblebee1990
22-08-2013, 15:12
Poor boys is the one the vag boys are using at the minute seen a couple of cars with it and they look flawless.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poorboys-Black-Hole-Glaze-Nattys-Blue-Car-Wax-2-x-Pads-Microfibre-Cloths-/121125427337?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleani ng&hash=item1c33a35889

scratcher
22-08-2013, 15:21
The Natty's waxes are a good shout. I like the Red on better, it's slightly more durable too.
Prima Amigo glaze topped with either wax will look great and last well. And both be under budget ;)

gttjames
22-08-2013, 15:54

il agree with above - does the job - also dont over look auto glym hd wax

steveT2
22-08-2013, 17:11
I'd recommend Victoria Concourse. It's amazing on black, well, any colour really. It'll see 3 months before it needs topping up :agree:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-6oz-concours-wax/prod_234.html

They do a smaller tub too.

This is what I've been using and I'm very impressed with it.and there's no need for an applicator as u just use ur bare hands:D

Hoolio
22-08-2013, 18:43
Depending on whether or not the new paintwork was baked you may want to hold off on the wax as the paint with still be curing and you may get a reaction.

Phoenix Autosport
22-08-2013, 22:24
having tried all kinds of different waxes when preparing moulds the one that releases parts the best is maguirs mirror glaze no.16 in the blue tin (dont use the no.8 its pants) it works even better than all the waxes made specifically for moulding, its expensive but if you want something that will literally stop anything sticking to the paint work thats the one, you can just wipe off the dried bug remains with a duster after a summer afternoon of boosting :)

gtmatt
23-08-2013, 09:06
poorboys black amazing stuff , then any good wax , I used dodo juice wax after I used poor boys black hole that stuff is amazing for black cars

Nad-5GTT
23-08-2013, 10:54
I've decided to go with the Poorboys black hole with the natty wax, mainly because it may help hide any swirls that will come my way:rolleyes:. Thanks for the tips :agree:

Nad-5GTT
23-08-2013, 10:57
Depending on whether or not the new paintwork was baked you may want to hold off on the wax as the paint with still be curing and you may get a reaction.

thanks for the tip off but ye the paint was baked bud a couple of weeks ago:)

gttjames
23-08-2013, 12:07
depends on the paint weather it needs to cure/let gasses escape. If it was 2pk or base and clear

Nad-5GTT
23-08-2013, 13:16
It was base then clear. The painter said wait a week then polish it up so I'm not worried about it prob won't have time to do it for another week anyway:)