PDA

View Full Version : Cup Shocks

greggtt
17-08-2013, 16:50
Recently bought a set of original cup shocks and fitted them to the car , my car is lowered but the camber is now crazy compared to before , are they designed to run with lowering springs and if so does any one know what springs to use or are they designed for standard springs? Any help appreciated.

olidaviesuk
17-08-2013, 16:54
The cups run with a fair amount of camber as standard mate - if you are using cup springs you can expect to get 2-3degrees otherwise you'll have to get some camber bolts to correct it.

Off the top of my head cup springs are slightly lower than std gtt ones - someone on here will know exactly tho.

greggtt
17-08-2013, 17:15
Cheers for that , must be the design of the shocks , just got the cup shocks , no cup springs just an unknown set of lowered springs that were originally on the car. Got the top of the wheel pulled out as far as i can and still the camber is silly , probably improve the cornering on the back roads but the tyres are taking a hamering on the inside edges so need to try to sort it.

(if thats your cup car in the pic then you looking for a spare set:D)

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-08-2013, 17:24
Wouldn't want cup shocks on the road... Very very firm... Then again my 5's suspension is a lot more firmer than me old cup car :)

The new Bill J
17-08-2013, 17:33
Wouldn't want cup shocks on the road... Very very firm... Then again my 5's suspension is a lot more firmer than me old cup car :)

Wasn't your old cup running the Super Coupe spec' shocks? The cup shocks are a lot firmer than those! :cry:

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-08-2013, 17:42
Wasn't your old cup running the Super Coupe spec' shocks? The cup shocks are a lot firmer than those! :cry:

That's true billy, I forgot about that..

F*ck driving with old school "proper" shocks...

greggtt
17-08-2013, 17:45
[quote=Penfold aka The Dealer;344506]Wouldn't want cup shocks on the road... Very very firm...

they sure are , just thought id try them out and plus might be worth a penny or two to the right person , but for practicality I think I might have to change them for something more forgiving for everyday use.

Greg

Brigsy
17-08-2013, 18:00
Have you got the right top mounts fitted? Ph1 shocks need ph1 mounts and ph2 needs ph2..this could explain the additional camber.

As far as i know the cup cars had the shocker holes elongated for camber increase.

andybond
17-08-2013, 18:12
Easy way to spot ph1 is the top of the shock goes bang middle through the top of the strut on the inner wing. The ph2 is offset .

greggtt
17-08-2013, 18:18
Have you got the right top mounts fitted? Ph1 shocks need ph1 mounts and ph2 needs ph2..this could explain the additional camber.

As far as i know the cup cars had the shocker holes elongated for camber increase.

Phase 1 all the way mate, renewed the rubbers , bearings and top hats , there is a bit of play in the shockers when hub bolts are slack but got the top of the wheel pulled all the way out and still visibly noticable there is alot of camber, Unsure how low the car is but it may be adding to the problem, would camber correction bolts help or do they just work with what play is available where the shocks meet the hubs?

Greg

Brigsy
17-08-2013, 18:42
Take a pic of the bottom of the shocker and post it up.

greggtt
18-08-2013, 08:52
Take a pic of the bottom of the shocker and post it up.

Im offshore just now mate but will post up on my return , cheers for the help

Greg

greggtt
04-09-2013, 22:31
Got home and tried the bolts I ordered and they seem to work fine , plenty of room for adjustment so highly recommended , easy fix in the end , thanks for the replies :D

TopCat
04-09-2013, 22:40
Got home and tried the bolts I ordered and they seem to work fine , plenty of room for adjustment so highly recommended , easy fix in the end , thanks for the replies :D

How does it drive with the cup suspension Matey?

greggtt
06-09-2013, 21:10
Hard as nails mate , especially round these shi#*y scottish roads but she does hold in when she needs too;) there is practically no movement when you bounce the front end :laugh:

In other words highly recommended:agree:

TopCat
06-09-2013, 21:22
Hard as nails mate , especially round these shi#*y scottish roads but she does hold in when she needs too;) there is practically no movement when you bounce the front end :laugh:

In other words highly recommended:agree:

Haha, good work. Is this on your leccy 5?

greggtt
07-09-2013, 00:29
Yeah , all good though till you hit a pothole and loose a filling or damage a vertebrae :agree:

TopCat
07-09-2013, 10:40
Yeah , all good though till you hit a pothole and loose a filling or damage a vertebrae :agree:

Stiffer than a honeymooners dick I presume...

Get some pics up of how it sits :)

greggtt
07-09-2013, 16:22
Will do , cars at my mates garage so picking it up Monday so will get some then