PDA

View Full Version : Sky broadband issues

JRP
10-08-2013, 23:08
It appears there is an issue that many are having logging on to Rtoc with sky broadband.

Once I'm on 3G it now works, but not for sky...

What's going on as the group on FB there is a big post up on it.

Guybrush
10-08-2013, 23:09
Sounds like a sky issue. I'm on BT, and it's blazing. :)

JRP
10-08-2013, 23:11
Good for you Gordon. But that doesn't help the many members that have sky broadband. Do we all ring up? Or is it the site not allowing it?

Guybrush
10-08-2013, 23:13
It'll be some kind of DNS issue with SKY. Best to ring them.
It won't be the RTOC end.

JRP
10-08-2013, 23:13
Errrgh

Guybrush
10-08-2013, 23:15
whats the error you're getting?

what happens when you navigate to http://91.215.180.207/boards

car.crash
11-08-2013, 08:16
Ring sky you prat.

Hoolio
11-08-2013, 14:07
Not working with a few systems it seems and the numbers on here bear that out, not all the missing members will be with sky surely? Is it a problem with the rtoc server and those particular providers?

Logg
11-08-2013, 14:13
Same thing is happening at the misses house with her sky boardband.

Maybe they've started blocking naughty sites and it some how associating RTOC as one of those sites. Had something similar when Vodafone first started doing 3g internet many years ago and to ring them up and opt out.

B18ftMOJO5
11-08-2013, 14:20
Same thing is happening at the misses house with her sky boardband.

Maybe they've started blocking naughty sites and it some how associating RTOC as one of those sites. Had something similar when Vodafone first started doing 3g internet many years ago and to ring them up and opt out.

Same my sky one isnt working.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-08-2013, 14:32
Strange thing is i'm on Sky broadband and its been working fine for me :confused:

robw
11-08-2013, 14:57
Strange thing is i'm on Sky broadband and its been working fine for me :confused:

Working fine on my sky bb too

JRP
11-08-2013, 15:11
Barely anybody online.... I'm not making it up, there's an issue.

Markey Mark (BD)
11-08-2013, 15:36
Barely anybody online.... I'm not making it up, there's an issue.

Got to agree mate, never known it so quiet on here all weekend

casper
11-08-2013, 17:08
Also on sky and its been fine.:confused:

Junglist
11-08-2013, 17:28
Can't get on connected to my WiFi but mobile network is fine. Tesco.

Guybrush
11-08-2013, 18:05
Bt is fine, but my tmobile 3G has issues.

TNT Tricky Nicky
11-08-2013, 21:13
I haven't been able to get on all weekend and I'm with sky, was out earlier without wifi and connected fine on 3G. Had to disable wifi as can't get on, all other sites are fine. Brings up an error message that the server cannot be found :confused:

mingblus3
11-08-2013, 22:07
Same here also using Sky. Currently using a remote server to access the site tonight.

TopCat
12-08-2013, 07:57
Yep my Sky wasn't working over the weekend either. Only on Rtoc though.

Phoenix Autosport
12-08-2013, 11:07
its being blocked at the isp
if i connect through sky broadband or through 3mobile on a 3g connection it wont find it but on both devices i can route my connection via a VPN to the states and get straight on.
both ways it uses the exact same connection as before the only difference is the data stream through the isp is encrypted so it doesnt get filtered.

turns out the men in tinfoil hats were right :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Trevhib
12-08-2013, 11:33
For anyone struggling to connect, can you use a proxy site in the mean time until the isp unblocks the site? I guess though that anyone who can't connect can't see this message either. D'oh :homer:

Ashy
12-08-2013, 12:39
It's not working for me at work either! Ok on my phone and at home too!

Logg
12-08-2013, 13:05
Has anyone got in contact with there Internet provider ask what's up?

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2013, 13:52
im having the issue with 3 different providers and my 3g so i cant see it being an issue there more here. im now on with gords help running through hidemyass.com to gain access, no issues what so ever with any other websites though, just rtoc.org. even now its loggig in and out and i cant get to certain areas but i put that down to running through hidemyass

JRP
12-08-2013, 13:57
FB post about ip black listing.

So I researched this, then researched getting a new IP address to see if it was that.

Sky technicians on a forum said reset router.

Now I'm back on, could be a dodgy block of IP addresses?

But I know nothing apart from basics.

Now the server can't be found again..... Bollox back on 3G and slow connection

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2013, 14:16
sky have just told me the issue isnt with them and probably the website host?

JRP
12-08-2013, 14:20
sky have just told me the issue isnt with them and probably the website host?

Brilliant well done the WOK.

What's the committee going to do then? I appreciate its in your own time but it would be nice to know.

Thanks

Penfold aka The Dealer
12-08-2013, 14:31
Ian S is dealing with this... By host thought rtoc was down completly.....which clearly it isnt!!

I have told Ian S that we do have access..

Adey aka Ewok
12-08-2013, 14:39
i explained that its an issue with sky customers mainly and that im using a mask website to gain access, they know the score and had a look themselves and were able to find rtoc. they are having a look into it but said as they could access it and i/others couldnt that the host site was possibly blocking ip address' ?

JRP
12-08-2013, 14:39
Ian S is dealing with this... By host thought rtoc was down completly.....which clearly it isnt!!

I have told Ian S that we do have access..

Thank you.

Red October
12-08-2013, 19:43
Hurrrahhhh

Iv just managed to get on after 2 days, virgin media is now working on the laptop but my 3network android is still unable to log me on.

Numptysnumnuts
13-08-2013, 10:48
Well as of 23:47 last night I still couldn't find the site via Virgin Media but my Vodafone 3G has been working all the time. Last access to www.rtoc.org via Virgin on Thursday.

LiamR
13-08-2013, 17:30
I am with Virgin and its still not working using conventional methods :disagree:

Madmax
14-08-2013, 09:04
Im with sky and not been able to get on since last Friday - now logged on at work which is fine. All quite annoying really as it means I have to sit and watch sh**e tv with the misses...!

Can someone please sort ASAP for my own sanity.

Thanks

Benjibrady
14-08-2013, 09:22
Ive had a problem with both my computer and mobile,

Cant log on on my phone on EE

Cant log on on my computer with mediaforce internet provider,

Can however log on at my parents using their BT

Phoenix Autosport
14-08-2013, 10:28
For all those still having issues I will say it again,
YOU NEED TO GET A VPN SERVICE
this site is being blocked by various ISPs as are many other sites, this is how the Internet is going to be in the uk from now on, areas of social networks and forums are automatically being blocked by ISPs
There are numerous and complex reasons for this which would take me hours to lay out but to put it simply big money and governments want greater control of the web because at the moment it works against them not for them.

I can't see this being fixed by the hosting company as they have no control over this.

Avast are currently offering a free trial of their VPN service or for multi platform support have a look at a company called "private Internet access"

andybond
14-08-2013, 20:02
this site is being blocked by various ISPs as are many other sites, this is how the Internet is going to be in the uk from now on, areas of social networks and forums are automatically being blocked by ISPs
There are numerous and complex reasons for this which would take me hours to lay out but to put it simply big money and governments want greater control of the web because at the moment it works against them not for them.

I can't see this being fixed by the hosting company as they have no control over this.

I think you are wrong. Big time.

Its a problem with the host. Not the World Wide Blocking Police ..

Guybrush
14-08-2013, 20:17
For all those still having issues I will say it again,

Avast are currently offering a free trial of their VPN service or for multi platform support have a look at a company called "private Internet access"

My work are their own ISP. We do not serve the public, we host infrastructure for large organisations. We don not implement blocking, or respect blacklists.
I cannot access the RTOC from work.

This is not an ISP issue.
The hosting company have already confirmed that this is their issue that's affecting a chunk of their server estate.

dangerous dave
14-08-2013, 20:20
I find it strange that Gordon turns up on the boards and the site goes to p1ss....

I've got my eye on you:rob:

mingblus3
14-08-2013, 21:48
So a VPN is the solution. lol. This is a joke if you ask me.

I run an IT company and never in a million years would this issue have been going on for so long. It would also not wash with my customers suggesting a workaround that your average end user cannot create. I have access to hundreds of servers in different counties and geographical locations no issues accessing RTOC.

RTOC are paying for a service that is not being delivered. The SLA has been exceeded and you need to employ someone to resolve this. I can't see any real action being taken and stupid advice being offered keeping the community in the dark. The common denominator here is that thousands cannot access RTOC but these thousands of users are not seeing a problem when accessing any other website. Generally in IT the common denominator is generally the issue.

I would be shifting the site immediately to a better web host.

TopCat
14-08-2013, 21:55
So a VPN is the solution. lol. This is a joke if you ask me.

I run an IT company and never in a million years would this issue have been going on for so long. It would also not wash with my customers suggesting a workaround that your average end user cannot create. I have access to hundreds of servers in different counties and geographical locations no issues accessing RTOC.

RTOC are paying for a service that is not being delivered. The SLA has been exceeded and you need to employ someone to resolve this. I can't see any real action being taken and stupid advice being offered keeping the community in the dark. The common denominator here is that thousands cannot access RTOC but these thousands of users are not seeing a problem when accessing any other website. Generally in IT the common denominator is generally the issue.

Couldn't agree more. I know this is no ones fault on the club, BUT this is costing the club money, No new members are able to access and not many can access the club shop.this makes the site on a whole look really bad :/

Adey aka Ewok
14-08-2013, 22:04
sucks not being able to see the for sale section, might be bits im missing out on buying lol.

Penfold aka The Dealer
14-08-2013, 22:25
The problem of just moving the site os not that straight forward, our site is very unique, uses a lot of old software and some is not supported but a lot of hosts... And who do we choose to host our site... We have been let done on more than one occasion....

Our current host has been perfect up until now (can't remember the last time the server has gone down in the last 2-3 years... Costs are very good aswell, we have been speaking about a dedicated server... With a much better back up package and support... But the cost are nearly 40% more...

Lets give our current host a few more days to sort this out....

But in the meantime we are looking at other options to get the website up and running fully to the masses....

Guybrush
14-08-2013, 22:37

Who do you suggest that host should be?

Who's going to liase with them throughout the purchase, migration, testing and teething issues of the site? You?
No one gets paid to run RTOC, it's done in the committee's spare time. It's a thankless task, believe me.

Ian's currently dealing with the hosts, and if it doesn't get resolved soon then i would expect that he'd be looking for a new host capable of providing a fully managed vbulletin service. Again, if you can suggest a host for this am sure he'd appreciate it.

mingblus3
14-08-2013, 22:56
I am not here for a dispute or disagreement. I have the means to access the site but many others don't. I am also part of the community to help out where I can.

I would be more than happy to assist Ian of course and offer some advice/recommend alternate hosts to do the job if its needed.

JRP
15-08-2013, 08:36
Rtoc has vanished from google. For me anyway, I normally tap Rtoc in the search bar and it comes up. Not now :(

Gttnutter
15-08-2013, 08:54
Yep johns right it's vanished from the top of search.. As that's how I log on.

But I've been fine with logging on all the time this has been going on.

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-08-2013, 09:31
Not on google.... Great, things just get worse... :(

Adey aka Ewok
15-08-2013, 09:32
how long does it take to sort, as of tonight itll of been playing funny buggers for a week

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-08-2013, 09:39
Adey it's out of our hands, even moving hosts can take time, even then who knows if it would work...

Brigsy
15-08-2013, 10:06
First time ive been able to get on in days on three mobile. Wont load whatsoever on virgin media.

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-08-2013, 10:22
Can people re try on google?

Trevhib
15-08-2013, 10:46
I would be more than happy to assist Ian of course and offer some advice/recommend alternate hosts to do the job if its needed.

Great. Expect a can of worms, as alluded to by one or two others here. To solve IT issues you need the requisite knowledge, control and impetus. At any given time, one, two or all three of those are missing in the case of RTOC. That's not any individual's fault but it is the reality.

Could the membership have not be emailed with advice on how to use a proxy website while these problems are dealt with?

Trevhib
15-08-2013, 10:48
Can people re try on google?

Facebook link to the RTOC group, an RTOC youtube link and some odd RTOC boards link. The main site is not there.

Guybrush
15-08-2013, 10:59
Adey it's out of our hands, even moving hosts can take time, even then who knows if it would work...

Hosts offer a free migration service. We could give it a dry run on a subdomain, eg. newsite.rtoc.org. Nothing lost if it doesn't work.
Here's a very popular vbulletin host : http://www.urljet.com/performance-vps-hosting.php

Alex
15-08-2013, 16:35
O.k. I'm now logged on via the works computer, I've not been able to do that at all up to now. That's a good sign?

Google search - nothing found....... :confused:

Guybrush
15-08-2013, 16:55
Google search - nothing found....... :confused:

Google need to spider-monkey us again. It takes a little time. Don't sweat it.

Adey aka Ewok
15-08-2013, 17:20
im getting better access now, seems patchy but its working on and off, so im assuming the site is being worked on

andybond
15-08-2013, 18:20
Hosts offer a free migration service. We could give it a dry run on a subdomain, eg. newsite.rtoc.org. Nothing lost if it doesn't work.
Here's a very popular vbulletin host : http://www.urljet.com/performance-vps-hosting.php

A little unsure why we need a VPS. RTOC doesnt really have the traffic to demand a VPS

TNT Tricky Nicky
15-08-2013, 18:31
It's working fine for me now :smokin:

Ian S
15-08-2013, 20:05
A little unsure why we need a VPS. RTOC doesnt really have the traffic to demand a VPSWe needed at least 20GB. That ruled out shared and most VPS as well.

As it's a vBulletin / MySQL site there're companies that say that can optimise the speed of all that. We like speed here :)

andybond
15-08-2013, 20:07
We needed at least 20GB. That ruled out shared and most VPS as well.

As it's a vBulletin / MySQL site there're companies that say that can optimise the speed of all that. We like speed here :)

You dont need speed tho , and I cant understand why you cant get unlimited ?

Guys I use offer me unlimited bandwidth , and unlimited space. Not expensive either ..

Madmax
15-08-2013, 22:13
Mine appears to be back to normal - well done for sorting.

Ian S
15-08-2013, 22:31
You dont need speed thoPerhaps you weren't here when we were using Webfusion? (with their one minute page refresh)
I cant understand why you cant get unlimited?Perhaps things have changed but when I was phoning around a few years ago they all thought I was taking the p when I said we needed 20GB HDD space.

andybond
16-08-2013, 21:00
Perhaps you weren't here when we were using Webfusion? (with their one minute page refresh)Perhaps things have changed but when I was phoning around a few years ago they all thought I was taking the p when I said we needed 20GB HDD space.

I think you must have had a duff host my good man. As I said - never had any speed issues on a non VPS server , also get unlimited traffic and space these days :)