PDA

View Full Version : help!!!! struggles to start and does'nt idle

Dansmokey
09-08-2013, 17:55
Hey everyone, in need of help again! :confused: I have put a group a carb on my r5gtt and a new starter motor and now it is trying to fire up ( sometimes it does ) but won't idle? Just cuts out, sounds rough as f**k! Hoping that it is just the new carb? HELP!

JRP
09-08-2013, 18:55
Are the leads in the right order?

Air leak on the carb base maybe?

Massive over fueling ?

Blocked jet?

Mixture screw missing?

Take the carb top off and see what's going on.

Dansmokey
09-08-2013, 20:21
The leads are in the right order, mixture screw is there but engine just about starts with it screwed right in. Any less and won't start? The idle jet looks clean, smells like massive over fuelling and just changed all the gaskets on the carb, so would like to say leaking but it's worth a check. Confused.com haha! Going to put the standard carb back on and see if that makes a difference?

JRP
09-08-2013, 20:39
The leads are in the right order, mixture screw is there but engine just about starts with it screwed right in. Any less and won't start? The idle jet looks clean, smells like massive over fuelling and just changed all the gaskets on the carb, so would like to say leaking but it's worth a check. Confused.com haha! Going to put the standard carb back on and see if that makes a difference?

Yeah just to see what the score is, check carb kits done correctly on new carb.

Dansmokey
09-08-2013, 20:47
Gotta be worth a try, thanks! Fingers crossed, was looking forward to a blast this weekend :cry:

gtmatt
09-08-2013, 22:07
I Got a new idle jet from Renault mine didnt idle correct ,bought that sorted it

Brigsy
09-08-2013, 23:27
Use the standard carb, Grp a carbs are ****e. Standard carb will be far better when jetted to suit the boost level required.

philr5t
10-08-2013, 07:39
Are you shaw the timing isn't 180 % out mate ?

Dansmokey
10-08-2013, 08:23
The timing could be out, didn't think about that! Had the distributor cap off the other day. Didn't notice moving the rotor arm but could have happened! Will take a look at that, where should the rotor arm be set? Thanks!

Dansmokey
10-08-2013, 10:47
Problem solved, took new carb off and put old one back on and bobs a Dutchman :scratch: works perfect now! Why would a different carb cause that much problems?