PDA

View Full Version : 200BHP what's needed

Numptysnumnuts
08-08-2013, 10:09
Right I have now had time to drive my fixed vehicle and get used to its handling but I would like some advice on making it more fun to drive (No drive it blind folded jokes please).

What do I need to get to 200 BHP from a standard GT engine and box?

Its a Ph2 (1.5) E reg Electric Blue.The engine is standard and just rebuilt with a refurbished gearbox. The turbo sat on it at present is unknown but according to an R5 enthusiast it's not the standard one. I would like it done properly so no just turn up the boost posts. I just want to know what's needed parts wise and possibly some links from those that have done it already.

Why do I want to do it? Whilst I agree its fun to drive and it gets looks from the younger drivers wondering what the hell it is. I just want something that makes the heart race and every once in a while makes me grin so much my cheeks ache.

I am considering making it a Maxi lookalike but again if any feel it shouldn't be done please let me know.

Markey Mark (BD)
08-08-2013, 10:13
A decent cam, decent turbo and a well set up carb then you'll be on your way to 200bhp

You don't need a lot to reach that power

JRP
08-08-2013, 10:15
Leave the bodywork alone.

200 horses, 285 cam, correct fueling and cooling. A larger turbo like a t25 should do the trick.
AFR gauge ;)

If your really in for the long haul a top/bottom gasket set, but if its all working leave it the smeg alone.

If you want bullet proof I know of a set of forged internals going at a good price.

JRP
08-08-2013, 10:29
A decent cam, decent turbo and a well set up carb then you'll be on your way to 200bhp

You don't need a lot to reach that power

Always quicker

Numptysnumnuts
08-08-2013, 10:32
It's the cooling bit that I am concerned about. There seem to be lots of variants out there and just want an idea of what and who's to get. The engine and setup was a complete bodge when I got it and not knowing a great deal about these cost me dear to put right. I have funds to do this and would rather get the right bits than be responsible for bodging it again.

With regards to the turbo I have numerous receipts in the folder that came with the vehicle for different turbo's. Is there an easy way to find out what's on it?

JRP
08-08-2013, 10:37
It's the cooling bit that I am concerned about. There seem to be lots of variants out there and just want an idea of what and who's to get. The engine and setup was a complete bodge when I got it and not knowing a great deal about these cost me dear to put right. I have funds to do this and would rather get the right bits than be responsible for bodging it again.

With regards to the turbo I have numerous receipts in the folder that came with the vehicle for different turbo's. Is there an easy way to find out what's on it?

Codes on the front and rear of turbo, like .47 .49 etc

Cooling a decent front mount or a charge cooler... Or both

Numptysnumnuts
08-08-2013, 10:41
Will look tonight. I assume that any descent supplier of turbos would indicate these numbers as well on their receipts/invoices?

Fordy
08-08-2013, 10:49
With the price of engine management these days look into a megajolt or nodiz setup.

Also you will get good gains from a 2.5 inch turbo back system