PDA

View Full Version : Catch Tank Set Up

Steevo
03-08-2013, 23:33
I just wanted to get some advice about the catch tank set up, I've blocked off the breather connection at the bottom of the carb and done away with the OE telephone hose, so I have two breathers - one on rocker and one coming from sump.

My question, do I connect the two breathers directly to the catch tank? Do I do away with the degassing pot in the process or is there some other way of doing it?

Thanks in advance:agree:

Brigsy
04-08-2013, 01:27
You can connect both breathers together with a t-piece and run them to a catch tank or keep the pot and run one of the outlets to a tank.

If you want the minimum pipework blank off the pipe to the sump and run a pipe from rocker cover to a catch tank. I have tried all ways and they all work OK.

Steevo
04-08-2013, 09:29
Thanks Brigsy :agree:

Forgive my stupidity but if the idea of the breathers is to release pressure, the catch tank is air sealed, so how does the engine breathe effectively?

robw
04-08-2013, 10:14
Best bet is to run a breather filter off the tank, or it wont be breathing

Brigsy
04-08-2013, 10:28
Thanks Brigsy :agree:

Forgive my stupidity but if the idea of the breathers is to release pressure, the catch tank is air sealed, so how does the engine breathe effectively?

A sealed catch tank wont work. You need it to vent to atmosphere properly so leave a port open, cut a few holes in the top etc.

Steevo
04-08-2013, 10:31
Good job I asked that question then! In that case is it not a bad idea blocking off the bottom breather and only having one on the whole engine (rocker outlet)

Brigsy
04-08-2013, 10:32
It will be ok blocking off the pipe to the sump. Some of the early engines dont have that pipe at all. Assuming your rings are ok you wont have a problem mate:)

robw
04-08-2013, 10:50
http://imageshack.us/a/img826/4898/g24b.gif

Lee-H
04-08-2013, 10:53
The pipe to the sump isn't a breather, it's just a return for any fluid that's collected in the separator pot. Fluid goes back to the sump and vapour goes to the inlet manifold in vacuum conditions, then to the telephone hose when on boost.

Steevo
04-08-2013, 16:13
Thanks for all the replies chaps really helpful, thank you :agree: