PDA

View Full Version : Coolant pipework

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 15:09
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi everyone

I was at an event called harewood hillclimb a few weeks ago (purely because there was an r5gtt competing) and had a look around an r5gtt that was there. I noticed that the coolant bottle had been moved behind the bulkhead and under the drivers side of the windscreen? seemed to tidy up a hell of a lot of pipework but no pipework going into the car for the heaters. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? and is it recommended for a road going car? not bothered about having heaters not going to be driven in winter anyway.

cheers guys.

Alex
27-07-2013, 16:35
Moving the header tank to the scuttle area is something the cup cars used to do, it helps get rid of any air locks/makes bleeding the system easier. Bypassing the heater matrix isn't wise as that helps contribute to the cooling circuit.

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 16:38
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ok, can it be done with existing pipework or do I need new pipes? thanks for the reply.

Alex
27-07-2013, 17:05
I've not actually done it (although I plan to - been saying that for years though!) but I believe you can, someone may be able to confirm?

Numptysnumnuts
27-07-2013, 17:34
Someone else told me this a couple of days ago whn i sadi i had a suspected leaking heater matrix. They said just disconnect heater matrix and join pipes together.

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 18:24
I think I am gonna give it a go tomorrow? Dependant on hangover! Haha! If I suss it out I will report my findings! looks quite straight forward if you take the heater matrix out of the mix, to keep it looks like additional pipework! Maybe someone has some pics out there.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-07-2013, 18:34
Works if you have a phase 1 bottle and braket.

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 18:46
why is that? the one i saw had the same coolant bottle and bracket as what is in mine. it was a track car, whether that makes any difference? its still doing the same job!

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-07-2013, 18:50
It just worked out simpler than phase 2 bottle, also holds quite a lot of coolant.

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 19:04
Fair enough, might give it a miss for now! got enough other things to be getting on with on the car to worry about that headache for the moment. Is it possible to get hold of all the original coolant and other various hoses? not really too keen on the samco stuff, to some peoples tastes but not really for me.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-07-2013, 19:09
For hoses... Try Renault, or mike at gt turbo spares or bob at CGB?

Dansmokey
27-07-2013, 19:11
thanks, will give them a look. thanks again for the advice.