PDA

View Full Version : Garrett turbo

Dave Reed
04-01-2009, 13:07
Hi people,

My mate has asked me to connect up his vac/small boost pipes on his R5 Gt turbo. I've been round and had a look and he has got a bit of a strange turbo..... It's a garrett unit but I've never seen one of these before.... It's got a strange unit on the outlet on the compressor housing with a boost referance pipe coming of it??? The unit is held on with 3 screws and is round in shape?

Should I connect this up to the actuator? or should I take the acutator straight from the carb top like normal and just blank of this other outlet?

thanks in advance.

Adam L
04-01-2009, 13:08
Sounds like an o.e recirc valve... Possibly a Rover turbo? That unit needs taking off and completely blanking off with a plate...

Dave Reed
04-01-2009, 13:21
Sounds like an o.e recirc valve... Possibly a Rover turbo? That unit needs taking off and completely blanking off with a plate...

Ok, can I not just blank of the referance pipe with a bit of small hose and a bolt?

Scoff
04-01-2009, 13:24
Ok, can I not just blank of the referance pipe with a bit of small hose and a bolt?

no because the boost will push the diaphram open and vent itself. if its like the rover jobbie you just take the cover off and replace the diaphram with a bit of allu plate cut to size with some silicone around the edge to seal it up.

Adam L
04-01-2009, 13:27
No, it needs to be totally blanked off... Alternativley, he could just T into the aei line and use the dump valve, but the diaphrams aren't very strong on the Rover turbo's, and being so old now, it'll no doubt have cracks all around it.

Dave Reed
04-01-2009, 13:29
ok cheers guy's, it may have already been done as I haven't looked at it properly yet and my mate is sure it wasn't connected when he got the car! :D

Dave Reed
04-01-2009, 13:32
No, it needs to be totally blanked off... Alternativley, he could just T into the aei line and use the dump valve, but the diaphrams aren't very strong on the Rover turbo's, and being so old now, it'll no doubt have cracks all around it.

The car's already got 2 GT Tuning DV's on it :cry:, don't need any other problems. lol.