View Full Version : Cylinder Head Porting/Gas Flowing

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 18:17
As I have a water pump bolt stuck in the head (sheered off), I'm thinking I may as well take the car off the road and get the head done now, instead of waiting a little while.

Just wondering who is best to use in the South. It's for fast road usage. Ideally would like to be able to tow the car to someone and pick it up when it's done.

Cheers.

JRP
16-07-2013, 18:36
As I have a water pump bolt stuck in the head (sheered off), I'm thinking I may as well take the car off the road and get the head done now, instead of waiting a little while.

Just wondering who is best to use in the South. It's for fast road usage. Ideally would like to be able to tow the car to someone and pick it up when it's done.

Cheers.

Tony aka fish head on here is your man. His heads are a work of art :)

Ricardo
16-07-2013, 18:58
Much to gain for the cost?

Alex
16-07-2013, 19:05
I'd recommend CTM for head work.

TNT ANDY
16-07-2013, 20:15
I'd recommend CTM for head work.

:agree::agree:

There aint anyone else who I know with the same passion for 5's as these guys.

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 20:31
Cheers guys. I'm waiting on Mike/Tony for a quote, but think they're quite busy.

Will give CTM a shout. :agree:

Brigsy
16-07-2013, 20:49
You need to speak to the man who done glen (hi5) old head. Now that was a work of art. However unless you are going efi save your money.

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 21:12
Ok, thanks Brigsy. Also, I've decided to go down the efi route. Will prob take the car off the road in the autumn and work on it so it's ready for next spring.

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 21:43
Does anyone have contact details or a website address for CTM?

markg
16-07-2013, 21:46
Look in the contacts section. Seems we get discount too !.

*Yellow*
16-07-2013, 21:57
http://www.ctmperformance.com/

They supplied my race engine for this year, very impressed.

Ask for charlie...

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 22:18
http://www.ctmperformance.com/

They supplied my race engine for this year, very impressed.

Ask for charlie...

Awesome. Thanks mate. :agree:

philr5t
16-07-2013, 22:30
Ctm have done a fair bit of custom stuff on my engine especially my big spec cylinder head mate

Big Supes
16-07-2013, 23:14
Ooowwwww LUST! Very nice mate. What level of modification did you go and how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

philr5t
16-07-2013, 23:42
I had head work done on that head twice mate so in total cost between £500-£800 I think it was a while ago now but regarding mods it wasn't really a level of mod it's a bit of a one off head mate there was loads of mods done on this head but I think for a modded head they would probably charge upto £300 at a guess and that's just a guess

rs250nut
16-07-2013, 23:51
Ctm have done a fair bit of custom stuff on my engine especially my big spec cylinder head mate

Have the chambers been welded on that Phil?

philr5t
17-07-2013, 00:04
Have the chambers been welded on that Phil?

Yes mate ;)

Miller
17-07-2013, 00:36
Yes mate ;)

I Have the same type of head from Ctm for Emma's car with the welded up chambers, it was originally on puppyboy vnt car.

Chris

Miller
17-07-2013, 00:41
The interesting this about this head design was renault done the last of the mk1 twingo with this design.

So even renault seen the benafit of this design, Andy cook put a picture up of his one then I think he sold it to Ipswich?

philr5t
17-07-2013, 09:49
I Have the same type of head from Ctm for Emma's car with the welded up chambers, it was originally on puppyboy vnt car.

Chris

That's right mate the first head done this way was on Bradley's Vnt set up the heads were actually done by big Jim who worked for ctm many moons ago its called a west lake combustion chamber and was actually designed on a mini engine it's done this way to raise comp and forces the gases out a lot quicker than the standard combustion design where you get lots of air pockets waiting to leave the chamber but the shape of this design forces it out quicker

allanr5gtt
17-07-2013, 11:23
That's right big jim called it the west lake head. I heard he did the same on ms motorsports efi head aswell

Miller
17-07-2013, 11:52
Info on c3j head.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=16900&highlight=Twingo+head&page=2

Ian S
21-07-2013, 21:22
I also have one of these heads, but I never used it.

Jim told me it was £100 just for the welding. But that might have been his price to Charlie, not retail.

Charlie said about £450 to do the throats, ports, matched to both manifolds, skim, seats and valve backs to three angled. (Same as Lloyd Bush who did the 11.9 second pass)

Plus I had the springs seats lowered and longer firmer new springs and custom caps fitted to go with a 12mm or so cam, eg, Piper 285.

Plus I was having the block and liners skimmed as there's quite a big error in those; you have the head skimmed but the block and liners are worse!

I stopped there though due to lack of health and money and didn't get the block done and 6 years have since evaporated :(

philr5t
21-07-2013, 23:00

Jim told me it was £100 just for the welding. But that might have been his price to Charlie, not retail.

Charlie said about £450 to do the throats, ports, matched to both manifolds, skim, seats and valve backs to three angled. (Same as Lloyd Bush who did the 11.9 second pass)

Plus I had the springs seats lowered and longer firmer new springs and custom caps fitted to go with a 12mm or so cam, eg, Piper 285.

Plus I was having the block and liners skimmed as there's quite a big error in those; you have the head skimmed but the block and liners are worse!

I stopped there though due to lack of health and money and didn't get the block done and 6 years have since evaporated :(

I also Ian had my block and liners decked to

Red October
22-07-2013, 20:46

Same here, I went for different springs, valves and caps etc same effect I should imagine.