PDA

View Full Version : engine cutting out uphill

samcourtney86
15-07-2013, 20:13
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi, I have a gt turbo 1989 and lately the engines keeps cutting out while driving. It stutters and cuts out unless i dip the clutch and put some revs on, then it takes up again. Seems to only happen under load, and when going uphill. Any ideas what could be causing this?

The fuel pump makes a high pitch humming permantly, is this normal? The main fuel is located under the car next to the fuel filter right? As am I right in thinking theres a second pump somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sam

JRP
15-07-2013, 20:31
Do you have a dump valve mine did similar things going up hills when le diaphragm was split.

Failing a boost leak, carb has muck in it or fuel pumps not getting the juice upto the carb.

JRP
15-07-2013, 20:33
Maybe change the filter at same time as checking or removing pump.

Is your mixture screw still ok too?

bigdavec1974
15-07-2013, 20:47
You should only really hear the pump when you turn the ignition before starting and only a faint buzz. You can hear the auxiliary pump when you go low on fuel .

samcourtney86
15-07-2013, 22:48

Thanks for the replies.

The cars completly standard. Maybe a boost leak. Ill try and check that tomorrow. Though it doesnt always do it. I can floor it on the flat and its fine sometimes. Which would point to something intermitent like the pump?

As for the carb, I've got to be honest, ive never dealt with them. I've always dabbled with cars but never carbs so im clueless, but willing to learn!

samcourtney86
04-08-2013, 18:08

Well Ive changed the fuel pump, and checked theres no boost leaks. I've also took the top of the carb off to check the float and needle valve there. They both look fine and operate freely, but maybe i need to replace this valve? I've put it all back together and it still does it. Im lost. Only seems to cut out on 50% + throttle and when going up hill and/or under load. Also the aux pump seems permantly humming, even though i've a full tank of fuel. Any suggestions?

Markey Mark (BD)
04-08-2013, 18:39
When was the last time it had some new spark plugs in it?

samcourtney86
04-08-2013, 19:49

About 8 months ago. But surely it wouldnt cut right out with dodgy plugs? Maybe missfire?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
04-08-2013, 20:05
Sounds like the in tank sender unit (under rear seats) has come apart.

samcourtney86
04-08-2013, 20:19

There is a wierd whirr coming from the sender unit i think. Is this a common fault? Also what is it your thinking may be causing the engine to cut out? Cheers! Sam

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
04-08-2013, 20:25
Cutting out because of lack of fuel getting to the pump.... If the bottom of the sender drops off it won't be supplying fuel to the main pump.
Doesn't cost anything to check.
Lift up the rear seat base, under the black plastic cover is the sender.

samcourtney86
04-08-2013, 22:20
Nice one, will check tomorrow and report back. Thanks!

TopCat
04-08-2013, 22:42
Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator to me.

mightymanx
05-08-2013, 01:01
i had a similar promblem a few years ago with a previous 5 was the tdc lead had melted a bit so id give that a check over :agree: if your not sure with it is it sits on top of the fly wheel cover just follow the wires to the aei make sure they aint melted :agree:

samcourtney86
05-08-2013, 07:22
Right thanks, will check the fuel tank sender and TDC lead today. Cheers for all the help!

samcourtney86
08-08-2013, 06:37
Thanks for all the help, problem solved!

TDC lead checked, seems this has previously been a problem i think as its been cut and crimped before, but this is ok now.

Problem was the fuel sender gauge. It had come apart like Matt@coderedmotorsports said. The bottom of the unit which has a little filter tab had come off, which was in the bottom of the tank. Everytime i went up a hill i guess this filter tab moved and blocked off the main pick-up supplying fuel, cutting the fuel and engine. Thanks again everyone!

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
08-08-2013, 16:42
;)
Anytime.