PDA

View Full Version : Bodywork

safehands
15-07-2013, 19:52
So I'm going to get tore into the bodywork. Main issues on my car are floor rear quarters and front. I'm in 2 minds what to do first. Ideally I want to replace the front end but what I'm unsure of us if I buy a new front end will that cure me of my bumper mount issues and also will the front end replacement come with inner arches?. Also can you but replacement rear quarters? To get rid of crappy arches instead of patching then up. Hope I haven't drivelled on too much. I just want it done right and I'm not sure if attacking it with new panels is just bring extra expense.

safehands
15-07-2013, 19:58
Too add to this what gauge of metal is used on the 5s. I'm going to need some for sorting the floor. :) looking on gt turbo spares the replacement front panels don't include the wheel arches so would I need these made or cut out of another car? Thsnks

DaveMayGTT
15-07-2013, 20:22
It is worth talking to Mike, especially if you don't mind him taking a very good front end off one of his cars. That way he will include as much as you want, I had a whole front end back to suspension turret off him including the front part of the wheel arches. Since fitting the front end aligns very very well, much better than before the swap. It still didn't come easily as there is a fair bit of movement in each panel, you need to take your time to get it right but bumper and bonnet now all good. If you look in my project thread there are a few pics from when I done this.
I expect Mike could get you a rear quarter also but I have no experience of doing one, we just welded up what was rusted on mine, either way you're going to have a lot of welding to do, don't see a lot to be gained from cutting the whole rear quarter out myself unless its been smashed in to or rusted worse than I have ever seen.

safehands
15-07-2013, 20:45
Yeah I might give him a shout see if he can spare some time on the phone. I have rang a few times but just got the answer machine :(

Madmax
15-07-2013, 21:09
I have done just this to mine last week. I bought a complete front end panel from Mike and also a complete front end of a scrap car cut in half and packed in 2 boxes so that I could use the inner arches.
I cut it all out and dressed it up, also recovered the inner arches from the scrap car and a friend welded it all back up in a day. Also used 2 new wings a new bonnet and bumper and it looks spanking. Even left the engine in place with the rad etc still connected - well chuffed.

Madmax
15-07-2013, 21:15
I have done just this to mine last week. I bought a complete front end panel from Mike and also a complete front end of a scrap car cut in half and packed in 2 boxes so that I could use the inner arches.
I cut it all out and dressed it up, also recovered the inner arches from the scrap car and a friend welded it all back up in a day. Also used 2 new wings a new bonnet and bumper and it looks spanking. Even left the engine in place with the rad etc still connected - well chuffed.

Some pics in my profile

safehands
15-07-2013, 21:55
Looks good mate. I think new front end/ wings and donors is a better idea thn patchwork quilting it :) ur pic look good mate. Is replacing the front end a very hard job to do?

Madmax
15-07-2013, 22:24
No it wasn't too bad, just takes a while drilling/grinding out all the spot welds etc. Also tacked and adjusted it a few times to get the shut lines spot on. It's also worth buying the new bumper brackets that fit to the inner arches.

I cut it all out myself as was going to weld it but a friend who is a welder had a free day so did it for me and got it spot on. It does look a bit extreme when its all in bits but will soon be back on the road

safehands
16-07-2013, 08:49
Yeah I would more than likely do the brackets front and back anyway. Has anyone ever rebuilt the arches out of something lightweight and durable? Fibreglass? Or had carbon moulded? Would this work?