PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone ball joint fixings

Numptysnumnuts
14-07-2013, 10:15
I need assistance with 2No. wishbone ball joint fixings.

When I did the suspension on the drivers side I decided to do the wishbone bushes as well. When I took the wheel ball joint off the ball joint was mounted on top of the metal plate that sits in the wishbone.

I am just doing the passenger side suspension and wishbones (probably not the best weather to do this in :cool:) but the ball joint fixings are mounted to the underneath of the wishbone and not on the top of the plate that sits in the wishbone.

Both blue and green Haynes don't make it clear :coffee: but which is right or is that how it should be.

NRG
14-07-2013, 10:43
Both supposed to be mounted under the arm mate.

Hoolio
14-07-2013, 10:45
Joint under and plate above, I thought.

Hoolio
14-07-2013, 10:48
Green Haynes you can see it clearly page 9.4 picture's 3.6 & 3.7.

Numptysnumnuts
14-07-2013, 11:04
Yes found it now. Peel pages apart. Perhaps I should check page numbers when looking through to see if they run in sequence :ashamed:.

Just wanted to check though beings as one was different to the other and Haynes only show the one side which is done right and I am taking apart now to sand blast down, paint and fit new bushes.

Denty120
15-07-2013, 19:53
Was ut above or below then? Are you using poly bushes or rubber? My cars been sat with no front suspension for over a year now, I must get round to doing it soon!

Numptysnumnuts
15-07-2013, 20:13
Below as per the diagram in the Haynes manual.

Unfortunately like most fixings with my car (not knocking her, love her) three of the fixings had rusted themselves shut. With a bit of heat and some gentle persuasion I have two done. Third one is the problem. The bolt holding the wishbone has seized to the inner bush even with heat all it's done s melt the rubber. So reciprocating saw session tomorrow should hopefully fix it. Unless someone can suggest something different. Please don't say impact driver as the bolt head is too close to chassis to get a socket and tool on it.

Denty120
16-07-2013, 01:10
I had to cut all the bolts to get my wishbones off.

Jeff Ninebar
16-07-2013, 12:09
I managed to get a grinder in on mine that were seized.