PDA

View Full Version : Squirting oils across my engine!!!!!!!!!!!

Benjibrady
07-07-2013, 00:34
Hello all,

Right, basically, a few weeks ago driving home from Poole I noticed if I boosted hard there was smoke coming into the cabin of the car, after Returning home I realised I had squirted oil onto the bonnet and down onto the exhaust manifold, which was then flashing off and causing the smoke to occur. After having a poke around (like a plonker) I noticed that I had over filled the oil and put it down to this.

Having just been out in the car, I thought I would press her on around the by-pass to see How she would fair. After a big pull (of course within the speed limit) again car filled with smoke, but far far more than before to the point that I thought she had caught fire. Pulled Over opened the bonnet to find again oil all over the bonnet, all around the engine bay and again flashing off on the exhaust manifold and turbo. After a few minutes of allowing the oil to burn off the smoke had all but cleared up.

The difference this time being that the oil level was half full - well within the limits.

I've noticed both times that the dipstick has lifted out of its holder, could it be that, on full boost, as the oil pressurises it lifts my dipstick up spraying oil across the engine making a right mess or this there any other factors that I may have missed?

Please can someone shed some light on the situation as I am struggling to think of a different hypothesis. If it is the dipstick, is there anything I can do to solve the problem?

Many thanks

Ben

BabybluGTT
07-07-2013, 00:49
I had this problem bud but not quite so bad, try nipping up the top of the dipstick tube so it has a tighter grip on the stick:agree: Should stop it popping out.

Red October
07-07-2013, 03:51
I had this symptom when id cracked a piston.

Benjibrady
07-07-2013, 08:51
:s I hope I haven't cracked a piston. Ill try squeezing the top of the dip stick to see if it makes any difference

SCHWARTZ
07-07-2013, 10:15
Does sound like the bottom end is pressureising. Check all breathers and valves etc if installed for blockages etc... First before pulling it apart.

GARAGEMSANTOS
07-07-2013, 10:57
Try to check for cracks on your transmission axle rubbers, it might be nothing to do with your engine, if they crack they let all the grease to be thrown all over the place as the shaft is rotating as it hits the exhaust its impossible with the smell and smoke. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE check all the rubbers on the transmission axles before you go deeper in the problem.

Let me know if it helped.

DaveL485
07-07-2013, 11:13
If you're blowing the dipstick out you're pressurising the crankcase to the point the breather can't vent.
Usually caused by worn bores and/or rings, the combustion mixture blows by the worn cylinder/rings into the crankcase, and the pressure tries to vent anywhere it can....the dipstick being the easiest 'vent'.

DaveL485
07-07-2013, 11:14
Try to check for cracks on your transmission axle rubbers, it might be nothing to do with your engine, if they crack they let all the grease to be thrown all over the place as the shaft is rotating as it hits the exhaust its impossible with the smell and smoke. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE check all the rubbers on the transmission axles before you go deeper in the problem.

Let me know if it helped.

I've never known transmission issues blow the engine dipstick out of the tube :)

Hammer
07-07-2013, 15:35
Could it simply be that your rocker cover isn't bolted down properly? Similar thing was happening to me...oil everywhere. But I bought a new gasket seal and proper nuts from Mike and it cured it :)

GTphil
07-07-2013, 15:50
I had this and it was the piston rings at fault, the oil control ring had shrank down onto the piston (to much heat/boost 22lb manifold on a t2) and basically the boost was pressurising the sump and blowing oil out of the breather and dipstick tube.

Dave's right, i would put my left testicle on rings/boars being the issue.

I would be compression testing the engine firstly ;)

Mine was so bad that with a catch tank installed and just one run at pod it was over filling a 500ml coke bottle :eek:

Fordy
07-07-2013, 16:57
Check your breather pipes arent blocked first

Benjibrady
07-07-2013, 18:01
Thanks for all the help guys. Fingers crossed rings haven't gone as I'm just not in the position to be able to afford to fix them at the moment. Plenty of things to look at over the next month or two.

Benjibrady
19-07-2013, 22:02
Right so have been out for a drive today and have noticed it does it pretty much any time any boost comes on, and also oil pressure drops from 40psi down to around 20. Does this sound pretty indicative of, ring/piston/liner failure?

What sort of price would I be looking at for it to be rebuilt?

Guess I could put my big boy trousers on and go for it myself, thought about an engine change but the spec of this one is so good it would be a shame to take it out.

Andy M
20-07-2013, 08:36
Forget oil pressure for now.

Take the advise already posted and check all the breathers 1st. Fully remove from car, clean and refit (pay attention to the restrictors at the inlet split if its all OE). These hoses can be brittle.

If you still have the same issue then next up is a compression test to see if any f the cylinders are down (check & adjust tappets 1st)

Post how you get on.

michael tierney
20-07-2013, 13:30
ur rocker cover is a flame trap.....so check its clean first,if it is then do a compression check....if rings are broken/worn the gauge will build the pressure slowly,if ok the max press will show after about 2 cranks....... should read about 11 bars.....

bigdavec1974
20-07-2013, 15:11
Had similar issues in a car with a 150 main jet, causes bore washing.
No carbon or deposits ment blow over and a pressurised bottom end.

Benjibrady
21-07-2013, 23:52
Had a nice day off today so myself and my brother in law spent an hour or so looking over the engine to try and find something that maybe the cause of this problem. Wiped the catch tank of and had a good blow through it and no blockages etc but then managed to find this

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/enjibenji112/IMG_0922.jpg (http://s893.photobucket.com/user/enjibenji112/media/IMG_0922.jpg.html)

Next to the blue water hose is what I believe to be the crank case breather? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Just seems really odd that someone would have blocked it off, we took the bit of fuel hose and bolt of and went for a drive, and pushed oil out of there. Anybody have any ideas?

put a little electrical tape around the thread of the dipstick as it didnt fit in the holder very well which has stopped the oil from flying around, but obviously the problem still exists.

I do appreciate everyones help on the matter, very new to this so just trying to identify the problem.

Dave Reed
22-07-2013, 05:49
That's where the original breather pot returns back to the sump, so is fine blocked off.

Have you checked to see if you catch tank is empty? they fill with water/oil mist (water is just condensation).

If your dipstick is very loose it could be time for a new one. You can also fit a spring to the dip stick to ;)

However this could just be masking a problem, maybe its time to do a comp test.

Benjibrady
22-07-2013, 07:32
That's where the original breather pot returns back to the sump, so is fine blocked off.

Have you checked to see if you catch tank is empty? they fill with water/oil mist (water is just condensation).

If your dipstick is very loose it could be time for a new one. You can also fit a spring to the dip stick to ;)

However this could just be masking a problem, maybe its time to do a comp test.

Ah that makes a lot of sense, there was a dribble of water in the catch tank but no oil, but yeah i think youre right, ill buy a compression tester on payday and see what i come up with

Dave Reed
22-07-2013, 17:09
Have you got a pic of your breather setup?

Benjibrady
22-07-2013, 19:46
Have you got a pic of your breather setup?

Very annoyingly not, and i'm not going to be with the car for another two weeks, might try and get up there in a few days

Madmax
24-07-2013, 19:23
Hi Ben

Shame you weren't at home last week as I would have taken a look - I came and collected the wheels from your brother

Benjibrady
24-07-2013, 19:30
Hi Ben

Shame you weren't at home last week as I would have taken a look - I came and collected the wheels from your brother

Hey bud, I did wonder whether it would have been someone of here that bought them. Thanks for the offer buddy but im never in in the week as I work away in Plymouth :|