PDA

View Full Version : keeping cool

Tower
06-07-2013, 00:39
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

As we all know The 5 runs hot hot hot! Any advice on keeping cool in the summer heat as the thermo goes nail bitingly high? :eek: thanks

ScottKinnear
06-07-2013, 06:48

As we all know The 5 runs hot hot hot! Any advice on keeping cool in the summer heat as the thermo goes nail bitingly high? :eek: thanks

Keep your heater on hot

Flight666
06-07-2013, 06:57
Some people run low temp fan sensor manual fan switches etc. What has always worked for me is a good flush out of the cooling system once a year and run a 50/50 antifreeze mix a standard rad fan sensor standard stat and just keep an eye on the cooling system in general for leaks on hoses pump rad fan operation jubilee clips for tension leaks etc.. Mine runs just over the first solid dash on the gauge and fan cuts in just below the 2nd dash..My car is standard mind.. hope this helps a bit..:)

Andy M
06-07-2013, 07:01
Flush coolant system and replace antifreeze
Check all hoses for leaks and replace as necessary (pressure test the system for quick diagnosis)
Fit std thermostat
Make sure fan is working under its own steam with a std temp fan switch
Don't worry when the gauge gets to the 3rd line and the fan comes on, they are designed to do that.

Main thing to keel on top of is the hoses. It helps if you have all the factory cowling fitted too.

Fordy
06-07-2013, 15:47
3mm drill hole in thermostat will keep temps lower and I found more stable

juha5gtt
06-07-2013, 19:38
Here is picture.

Fordy
06-07-2013, 19:42
Good for summer but not so for winter

juha5gtt
06-07-2013, 19:56
I have used standard thermostat with little hole drilled summer and winter times no problems at all. Just takes wintertimes maybe little more time to warm up. Winter times i used Defa WarmUp anyways pre-warming..Nowadays i use Gtt just summertimes.

Tower
08-07-2013, 21:30

Thanks guys thats been real helpful. Im going to get some radiator flush at weekend and give her a good clean out and fresh fluids. I only use the 5 during summer aswel so im gona try the drill hole in thermo, Will that not just give a false reading tho??

casper
08-07-2013, 22:25
I normally dont worry about temps but on saturday stuck in traffic after a 2hr drive home from blyton even the fan wasnt lowering temps.Turned out i had a small air lock.Bled the system and it was better but still hovered around the 3rd line.

Tower
10-07-2013, 21:28
Thanks for all your help everyone. Ive flushed the system and new fluids, the needle on the heat gauge now goes no higher than half way between the first and second mark. i took the car for a hour and a half drive and the needle didnt budge... Awesome!:D Thanks again not had the 5 for long so still trying to work out all the "characteristics" of the car and how to maintain it. Thanks again

Tower
11-07-2013, 00:53
Keep your heater on hot

keep it on hot full blast or just turn heater up to hot (if that makes sense)

Woznaldo
11-07-2013, 07:00

Not the best environment to be in though!

If your radiator is not in the best nick, it won't be cooling efficiently. Give everything a good flush through as suggested above, but if things don't improve, replace the radiator with either a quality standard one available through GSF, or you can buy one of the many full aluminium ones available on eBay. Just make sure it has the oil cooler built it like the standard one.

The other option is to fit a remote oil cooler as this will reduce the cooling demand on the radiator.

ScottKinnear
11-07-2013, 09:37

If you find yourself with a higher temp reading than you'd like it is a quick way to reduce the engine temp. Ie stuck in traffic. It can be on full or really low, as long as its feeding some of the hot water into the heater matrix as when it leaves it is cooler.

I find after a good hard thrash the car might have been running a good temp but when you slow down and cruise etc the lack of air movement requires a quick fix while the car stabalises

Trevhib
11-07-2013, 10:33
On those occasions when you want to use the heater just to take the edge off the coolant temps in the high summer, then if you have the windows open and the heater on full with the vents pointing out of the windows, you'll be fine. :agree:

Removing the bonnet matting is also a good way to dissipate heat (and it also removes one item that can fuel an under-bonnet fire).

Tower
11-07-2013, 20:03
[QUOTE=Woznaldo;340086]Not the best environment to be in though!

If your radiator is not in the best nick, it won't be cooling efficiently. Give everything a good flush through as suggested above, but if things don't improve, replace the radiator with either a quality standard one available through GSF, or you can buy one of the many full aluminium ones available on eBay. Just make sure it has the oil cooler built it like the standard one.

The other option is to fit a remote oil cooler as this will reduce the cooling demand on the radiator.[/QUOT

Ive had a look on ebay at a few radiators. There are so many on there and dont really know what your getting. There are ones from China and everything. Do you know of any to steer clear of and ones that are good

Brigsy
11-07-2013, 20:16
O.e setup is fine in the hot weather providing it has been maintained well.

I would personally flush out the rad thoroughly and refill with type d gen renault coolant. If rad fan works ok you will have no problems.

I wouldnt even worry about the temp going over the 2/3 mark on the gauge on full boost, providing the temp comes down off boost. If the temp is flying up on boost then you will probably need a new rad.