PDA

View Full Version : bms downpipe users

SCHWARTZ
05-07-2013, 12:34
Took my bms downpipe off the other day to weld on some more bolt holes to fit the new turbo and found the flange had nearly cracked off:eek: I have a sidey on and no other supports other than the one holding up the turbo, maybe this has put too much strain on the pipe. I have now welded the flange to the downpipe from the outside as well as the origional on the inside. May be worth doing if anyone has there's off for any reason in the future;)

Brigsy
05-07-2013, 14:04
My big jim downpipe has cracked around the flange too. Probably due to lack of support at the bottom.

GTphil
05-07-2013, 21:48
Interesting, i have noticed when fitted that the downpipe sits with a bit of pressure to one side of the flange that meets the exhaust, so maybe with no support and a lot of heat and some load the stainless cracks after time.

I should maybe try to rotate the housing on the turbo so the flange mates up as well as it can and sort some sort of exhaust support at the bottom:agree:

michael tierney
05-07-2013, 22:02
stainless steel does have a tendency to crack when welded especially when heat and stress are added in:(

gttjames
06-07-2013, 00:19
where would be best to add a support bracket, get pics up guys