PDA

View Full Version : Might Explain a few things

mingblus3
27-06-2013, 19:09
Excuse the grubby fingerhttp://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/mingblus3/20130627_190527.jpg

Car kept dying on me when hot.

Tony Walker
27-06-2013, 20:06
:agree:

safehands
27-06-2013, 20:25
What is this? :)

mingblus3
27-06-2013, 20:52
Its the TDC sensor Top Dead Sensor that sits on top of the crank. I'm no expert so can't tell you exactly what it does but basically with a shagged one of these the car will not run.

For the last few trips out in the car it has been cutting out at random got towed home yesterday 2 hours stuck down a country lane with my hazards on. I thought it was heat related due to always happening once the car was quite hot. This damage was concealed within the black plastic loom tubing which is weird as the outer casing is perfect.

Whilst digging around I've noticed some damage to the main RED positive which I believe is coming from the starter motor.

Does anyone know how you take the top off the cable tray that runs underneath the turbo? I need to slacken off some cable in order to repair it properly?

Cheers

Tony Walker
27-06-2013, 21:42
Sends signal to aei so it can determine when to fire spark (can be adjusted to change ignition timming) also then runs fuel pump, so if your engine stops it doesn't keep pumping fuel :D

Flight666
27-06-2013, 22:44
If its the cable tray running across the top of the gearbox there are two bolts one on top of the gearbox and the other goes to one of the turbo heat shield brackets pretty sure its the bracket round the back of the cylinder head. hope this helps

mingblus3
27-06-2013, 23:22
If its the cable tray running across the top of the gearbox there are two bolts one on top of the gearbox and the other goes to one of the turbo heat shield brackets pretty sure its the bracket round the back of the cylinder head. hope this helps

Thanks for this mate I was expecting to be able to pop the top off the tray and pull out the loom.

mingblus3
29-06-2013, 22:37
I thought changing the TDC sensor would be the end of the problems with the car cutting out suddenly. At the point it wont fire there is no spark at the plugs but the car is trying hard to start / battery is fine etc.

Changed sensor and fitted everything back together. Run it up on the drive seemed fine. Went out for a quick spin and low and behold the ignition lights flash up and the car cuts out completely.

I had a relay on me tonight and changed it for the one that sits besides the AEI unit. Anyway the car started and got me home. Can anyone tell me what that relay does? would it have had any bearing on the car cutting out on me?

Looking for some more help if possible.

mingblus3
30-06-2013, 14:02
sorry to do this but BUMP