PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone thought of bike carbs?

Slammed 66
23-06-2013, 09:32
Just something I was pondering at work last night,

Surely there's a limit to how far you can go with the solex 32 and without wanting to go as far as injection what other options are there?

I've got a set of r1 carbs which I bought for a project many moons ago and I've recently been looking into what needs changing to use them in a force fed application. It seems that there's not much.
Here's a guide I found:

http://www.turbo-bike.com/Pressurize%20Carburetor%20R1.html

Obviously space is an issue on a c1j head. The likes of 'Bogg Brothers' could make up a short inlet manifold but I'm sure you'd still have to cut into the battery tray / washer bottle area for a plenum chamber.

It's all just ramblings at the moment and not something I'd seriously consider unless I was looking for stupid amounts of power, but I'm just interested to know if anyone has already done it?

Penfold aka The Dealer
23-06-2013, 09:44
Think Matt@codered has thought about this, or Ollie Davies has thought/made it... Not sure if he uses it :)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 09:56
The carbs worked out to be a bit of a pain in the arse, c1j wise anyway.
F7P/R isn't too much of a headache if using bike throttle bodies (not carbs), we found out if you used hayabusa throttle bodies, we could use pico injectors in the bike bodies, or obviously retain the injector holes in the head.

Fordy
23-06-2013, 14:43
Not sure what's involved but I recently been playing with zetecs on hayabusa throttle body's and all I can think about its making some sort of ally plenum chamber and mounting them on a 5 to see what would happen :confused:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 14:56
Here's a few I made a while ago.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 14:56

Brigsy
23-06-2013, 14:57
Too much hassle for little reward? From what i have read they are a carry on to set up on boosted applications.

If i were to go individual throttle per cyl i would use throttle bodies and efi. The question is would a throttle per cyl make any difference for hp compared to one decent sized throttle body.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 14:59
Too much hassle for little reward? From what i have read they are a carry on to set up on boosted applications.

If i were to go individual throttle per cyl i would use throttle bodies and efi. The question is would a throttle per cyl make any difference for hp compared to one decent sized throttle body.

Blown carbs, yes. Way too much hassle.:agree:
R5turbo 2 used individual throttle butterflies?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 15:01
Cheeky last one, alfa 75 engine in GTAm. This one is busa throttle bodies, with spacers fitted straight onto the original inlet!:smokin:

allanr5gtt
23-06-2013, 15:32
What's the pro and cons of having throttle bodies on f4r? Does it make noticeable difference in bhp or torque?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 15:39
It did to mine and definitely did to penfolds red 16v car.:burnrubber:

More pros than cons.....

Penfold aka The Dealer
23-06-2013, 17:06
Love my conversion, goes nicely, very easy to drive, yet to test it fully out on track or open road but reckon it will do very well ;).

allanr5gtt
23-06-2013, 19:46
What's the cost of itb's? can the std 172 ecu be mapped or is stand alone needed?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 19:49
Itbs are expensive.....but there is a way to use standard ecu on itbs.

For example, there is a full itb setup, second hand, going on clio sport for £1900.:eek:

allanr5gtt
23-06-2013, 19:53
To much to for me then. I can always dream lol

Brigsy
23-06-2013, 21:29
Blown carbs, yes. Way too much hassle.:agree:
R5turbo 2 used individual throttle butterflies?

I 'think' the t2 setup is metering head & the like, mfi injection similar to rs turbo's. Iirc pulsar gtir has tb's per cyl. Jenvey done a tb kit for the gtt, big ££.

They are a worthy mod on an n/a engine though.

Sparkie
23-06-2013, 22:24
correct.
the turbo 2 inlet tract goes like this.....

air filter - metering flap - throttle body - turbo - intercooler - engine.

thats a single throttle body btw.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
23-06-2013, 22:32
Of course.... Early fuel injection:ashamed:

DaveL485
25-06-2013, 08:46
I'm doing a conversion on the 21.

Sense seemed to suggest using FI ITB's in the first place so I picked up some SR20DET ones from a GTiR. Bore pitch is almost identical....how convenient!

allanr5gtt
26-06-2013, 11:18
if I wanted to build my own diy throttle bodies kit on f4r engine what would I need?

1. throttle bodies (from a hayabusa)
2. adapter plate from tb's to head (custom made)
3. air filter and adapter plate
4. mapping
5. some sort of breather mods?

just a idea at the moment maybe something over the winter

SCHWARTZ
26-06-2013, 12:43
correct.
the turbo 2 inlet tract goes like this.....

air filter - metering flap - throttle body - turbo - intercooler - engine.

thats a single throttle body btw.

Was this to help against lag sparkie?
Have read somewhere that a tb before turbo allows turbo to keep spinning in a sort of vaccuum when the throttle gets closed rapidly. Maybe something to try:D

olidaviesuk
26-06-2013, 18:59
80s f1 turbos and a lot of the wrc cars use this - you need a throttle butterfly in the inlet plenum too. One has to open fractionally before the other, very tricky to get to work properly without fly by wire throttle... VERY effective when it works tho...

Was this to help against lag sparkie?
Have read somewhere that a tb before turbo allows turbo to keep spinning in a sort of vaccuum when the throttle gets closed rapidly. Maybe something to try:D