PDA

View Full Version : Tigtening things up (bushes etc)

c5 swh
06-06-2013, 17:06
When i brought my car it had some play in the steering. This was fixed by replacing the universal joint.

When driving the car it feels a bit rattly and lose in guessing that the bushes have seen better days so what am i best to replace first when trying to fix this?

Im on a budget so the cheaper parts i would prefer to start with replacing.

Whats the most common parts that need replacing?

Thanks for your advice.

GTphil
06-06-2013, 17:53
The top mount gubbins are worth replacing, the bearing and bush at least anyway, and give the top mounts them selves a bit of a clean up and paint, or get them blasted and coated, remember which side is which tho;)

The anti roll bar bushes improve the feel of the car also once replaced, make sure you get the correct size bushes tho as there are two different sizes from memory.

Shocks and springs would also be on my list if the budget allows.:agree:

I once re-newed the lot in one go, wishbones/ steering rack everything, it felt like a different car:smokin:

c5 swh
10-06-2013, 17:03
When doing the top mounts, bush bearing and top hat can you get them all as part of a kit or do you have to get them all seperate?

Should i get the poly bush or are the 6.99 dougnut from cgb ok?

phase i 16 v turbo
10-06-2013, 17:11
When doing the top mounts, bush bearing and top hat can you get them all as part of a kit or do you have to get them all seperate?

Should i get the poly bush or are the 6.99 dougnut from cgb ok?

Depends on make.

GTphil
10-06-2013, 17:14
Pretty sure you will need to buy separately, the cgb doughnuts will more than likely be fine but genuine stuff will always be better quality, same goes for the top mount bearing;)

Poly ones i can't comment on but if the standard ones are still in there and doing the job after all these years do you really need fancy yellow ones? Probably not:)

Bigfoot
10-06-2013, 17:24
You get two different types of doughnuts now though, what suppliers have replaced them with there is no strength in them, you need the ones which have the dimples going around the edge.

c5 swh
10-06-2013, 17:34
Are these ones ok?

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/suspension-front-top-strut-rubber--donut--bush-203-p.asp

Goobie
10-06-2013, 17:35
Full new set of bushes, standard or not, world of difference and very over looked when people get new suspension. ;)

c5 swh
10-06-2013, 17:39
If i jack the front of the car up is there anythin i can look for to see if they need doing before stripping them down. Same with ball joint and track ends.

Is it a case of giving the wheel a good shake?

c5 swh
12-06-2013, 16:24
Right i jacked the front end today had a good look round tried moving the wheels at 12/6 and 9/3 postions and they pretty much solid. Tried moving the struts they are solid too. Ball joints again seem ok.

What else would make the front end seem very rattly noisey and vague?

GTphil
12-06-2013, 16:32
Sounds like something in the top mount assembly, take the struts off to have a good look ;)

c5 swh
14-06-2013, 17:53
Stripped the struts today, nothing looked out of sorts. The only thing that was a little dodgy was the bearing. It looked ok but ratteled when u shake it so not sure if its on way out so ordered a new one. Also the dougnuts was the the ones with out the dimples so got new ones.

Will see if it makes any differance but im not confident, as it all looked pretty good condition.

Goobie
14-06-2013, 18:08
Some times giving the wheels etc a pull about isn't enough to show up any real problems when the car is unload proper load. What you really need todo is get it on a ramp and use a long breakers bar and wedge that between parts and flex it about to see what movement you get. :)

All that aside, if you got the money, change them all, don't cost to much if doing it your self etc plus chances are their possibly so old now and as a wear and tear item, they will want changing at some point anyway, like you said, feels loose so might as well overhaul while your at it. :agree:

c5 swh
14-06-2013, 18:26
Is the buffer rubber the same as the dougnut or are they 2 different parts?