PDA

View Full Version : can any computer people help

mightymanx
05-06-2013, 21:17
hi bit of a strange 1 i moved hpise about 3 weeks ago and set up my router for the computer and the 1st week i had no problem the last week and a half. ive had a inntermitant connecting problem on 1 off my lap tops some times it connects to the router no problem other times it wont connect just says no net work connection but has full signal. yet if i use any pf the other 2 lap tops they seem ok at 1st i thought it was the router but had that checked by my internet provider and seemed ok but with the 2 lap tops seem to be ok is it the other lap tops internet cardon its last legs pr what its doing my head in lol

Nick k
05-06-2013, 21:28
Is the any other routers in range on your wireless network? and are they on the same channel as your router, try changing your channel in your router setup menu. could be the problem...

mightymanx
05-06-2013, 21:33
there are a few other routers in range byt 2 of my lap tops are fine the other 1 is a pain so would a router channel problem cause ths also am totally crap at routers have no idea what am doing at all lol my brother set it up for me at my old address and i just took it here and plugged it in so have no idea how to change the channel?

mingblus3
05-06-2013, 22:18
A few things that you can try which won't put you in a complete nightmare situation if they don't work.

Try updating the drivers for the wifi card. Go to vendor website.

Delete the network profile completely and re add it. Allow it to detect the router again.

If you are using a 3rd party control suite for the wifi try switching it to let windows manage the wireless.

Is there an operating system difference between any of these laptops?

mightymanx
06-06-2013, 18:36
right all my laptops did this today so has to be a router or line problem each time i have full signal but it says no net work ?

mingblus3
06-06-2013, 20:26
go to each computer and perform the following in command prompt. To find this go to accessories in the start menu.

once in the black command prompt window type the following

ipconfig/all

provide the results might help us out.

also in command prompt type the following to see if you get a reply

ping 8.8.8.8

and post the results.

ping www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk)

and post the results

Rob1980
06-06-2013, 20:29
You'll be surprised how often just unplugging the router and leaving it off for a minute can work, especially if it's a Sky router! This has happened to me before and this sorts it out.

Failing that you may have been using another network for the first week accidentally. Your current router may not be activated yet....

mightymanx
06-06-2013, 20:57
i did un plug it for a few mins and replaced the filter

Trevhib
07-06-2013, 10:35
Install the Wifi Analyser app (iphone or Android both list it I think). It will show you who else is in range and what channel they are using. Then you can alter to a channel that's not being used (if there is one).

I've had no end of wifi trouble the last couple of years. In the end I bought a PoE kit (which uses the electric mains circuit to send the signal) to avoid using wifi altogether.

My bro works at my ISP and between us we think, amongst other things, my fridge is a wifi network disruptor. Sounds stupid but you'd be surprised what can affect wifi signals.