PDA

View Full Version : What engine?

w35ty
29-05-2013, 20:57
Ok well iv sorted my c1j yet again after spending how much money AGAIN :crap:
If anything after this happens its coming out and im selling the engine in bits to get money towards a conversion...

Which way to go though? And how much?

F7p? B18ft? Vag? Was looking at the f4r isit? From the laguna and espaces 2.0T... want about 300bhp reliable too!

Dave Reed
29-05-2013, 21:10
How about a nice turbo'd B18 from a Honda?

w35ty
29-05-2013, 21:13
be something abit diff but im anti honda :cooter: all my mates rave about them lol

Phoenix Autosport
29-05-2013, 21:26
how about a 1.8T audi lump, lightweight, reliable and can be tuned for pretty big power :)

w35ty
29-05-2013, 21:53
Wouldnt mind it.. Just what about wiring? Fitting? Cost?

Bumblebee1990
29-05-2013, 21:53
1.8t 300bhp 330lbft on stock rods go for later engine with me7.5 ecu for launch control anti lag and nls :)

Duncan Grier
29-05-2013, 22:29
Vag lump, loved mine and took it all and returned great mpg lol

Reliable box and we know it works ;-)

Maybe I should get a trio of French 5's and offer a group buy conversion lol

Make a change from the 2 vx220 in the garage with almost complete new S3 / 6 speed conversion 380bhp on software, only engine mod uprated direct high pressure fuel pump

At last only 2 cars left and held back from any other work, how long will I last :-o

DG

olidaviesuk
29-05-2013, 22:57
Nothing wrong with the trusty C1J.. Running Efi they are good for 250hp with a 285 cam and the right turbo all day long. Pretty much bomb proof at 200hp. It's the carb and poor tuning that makes them unreliable. The engine in my racecar is vaguely std (pistons, liners and rods anyway) and has been ragged absolutely senseless by Matt@coderedmotorsport for 4 years and me for the past three. Still puts out 200hp all day long, still has 140 psi across all four cylinders - she's due a refresh but... Not sure any of the alternatives would take the abuse any better.

w35ty
29-05-2013, 23:17
Maybe its just my luck with my c1j lately cost me too much money for my liking in the past 6months, been off road more than its been on.. rather conversion than get rid of it all together like..

so what kinda price looking for that vag conversion?

Brigsy
29-05-2013, 23:36
Nothing wrong with the trusty C1J.. Running Efi they are good for 250hp with a 285 cam and the right turbo all day long. Pretty much bomb proof at 200hp. It's the carb and poor tuning that makes them unreliable. The engine in my racecar is vaguely std (pistons, liners and rods anyway) and has been ragged absolutely senseless by Matt@coderedmotorsport for 4 years and me for the past three. Still puts out 200hp all day long, still has 140 psi across all four cylinders - she's due a refresh but... Not sure any of the alternatives would take the abuse any better.

I agree with this, build a c1j right and they will deliver the goods day in and day out. Mine in the van has covered at least 15k with hardly any issues - its basically standard components inside with a decent cam. No matter what engine is fitted if the build is poor it will end up in tears, and the more modern the engine the more expensive the parts are?

r5_scotty
30-05-2013, 06:33
How about a nice turbo'd B18 from a Honda?

now theres a crazy engine. and just imagen it in a five!!!! if i had the know how i would fit one :agree:

w35ty
30-05-2013, 10:47
Yeah know what you mean about the c1j.. Ill see how it goes now, must just be me and my **** engine building lol.. :scratch: just want more power at the same time though..

My block is standard jus new rings liners etc reground crank

Piper 285 and t25 running ay 1.3 bar at the min

w35ty
30-05-2013, 10:49
Another is iv put a new recon oil pump in from cgb and im still getting like 2 bar on idle :confused: dont get it? Should be more?

tubbyG
30-05-2013, 10:52
Another is iv put a new recon oil pump in from cgb and im still getting like 2 bar on idle :confused: dont get it? Should be more?

Is that with the engine up to temp?.... if so then its perfectly normal, I get about 20-23 psi on idle

w35ty
30-05-2013, 11:17
Yeah when its warm i thought it should abit more than that? i never put a washer in the relief valve either as it being a new one like

olidaviesuk
30-05-2013, 13:55
Is that a std gauge or an aftermarket one?
Yeah when its warm i thought it should abit more than that? i never put a washer in the relief valve either as it being a new one like

James5
30-05-2013, 14:12
Engine conversion's are all good depending on your budget and what you want the car for, OE ecu or Standalone, electric's, speedo signal's, driveshaft's, custom mount's, gear linkages etc...

Ref your oil pressure as above are you running aftermarket or going by OE? once engine warm expect to see around 20psi of pressure dependant on oil type / viscosity used when idle. And this will / should increase with rev's. When cold engine expect to see around 40-50psi again dependant on oil viscosity.

GTphil
30-05-2013, 14:58
c1j's can defiantly be reliable, it is a pisser when they aren't tho, you need to make sure your not chasing your tail with issues, and it's all done at once.

your new oil pump should see it right.;)

I was really annoyed with the c1j after my last failure, however when i took a step back i realised that the valve guide that failed was put in by a local machine shop and obviously not done correctly and that's why it came out got smashed up and mullered the lump. If i was using a untouched head it would all still be in one piece, as yours would have been if your oil pump was good.

Engine conversions, bang for buck f7p 300hp, reliable bonkers 400hp+ Renault power f4r with an o2m vag box. Budget will dictate what goes under the bonnet really.

Duncans vag 1.8t conversion was awesome but it wasn't a Renault lump, to be fair tho with a conversion does it really matter.......probably not and the vag lump is the easiest to extract decent power from without huge mods;)

Duncan Grier
30-05-2013, 15:12
Yep that cover it :agree:

C1J cracking lump for what it is and years of every option has led to some really impressive options and reliability

For me I love an engine rebuild / upgrade but just makes soooo much more sense to get your desired power from something that makes it from factory or just mild software upgrades. Add a lighter car and streeses are less, better mpg the list is long of the plus points

Cons are usually extra weight, other upgrades to support the weight / power and using the power been fwd - until the revised diff and LSD the vag 5 was hard to get off the line well under any real abuse

I love the idea of having another 5 and would do the vag conversion different but hard to not drop the tfsi lump in and maybe even force that 6 speed in for good measure (tdi) but compared to a well spec'd vx220 its just not the same level of performance and makes it hard to justify doing again, especially as I have a dedicated track beast with the sr20det in (not even started to release the power options :cooter:)

But have to say I do miss that little car and catch me on the right day and may just do it all again - now oem looks or track beastie?????? Rear seats for the kids option?

And must resistthe 4wd thoughts as retaining the fwd setup is a lot easier

Clio makes more sense to convert but the 5 is way cooler - maybe fit aircon for those euro trips :D

w35ty
30-05-2013, 21:01
Yeah know what you mean guys, 2bf if it goes well
Now with no problems then id keep the c1j as its oe engine like, just want abit more power under there, i could obv get bigger blower but dont want the lag lag then boost..

Iv got 10-40 in at the min.. usually use 10-60, iv lost the bleed nipple to water hose so aint drove it yet, samco are sending me one through so hopefully its here tomorrow and i can gove the car a blast see how it goes..

But if anything happenss again id sooner rip it out than spend another how much sorting problems, lately iv even been thinking of selling it which i really really dont wanna do.. I just wanna enjoy the dam thing!! Lol

w35ty
30-05-2013, 21:02
Is that a std gauge or an aftermarket one?

My o.e gauge isnt plugged in as made my own braided oil feed, so got rid of the oe pressure gauge any got my stack one plumbed in