PDA

View Full Version : can anyone identify this part for me?

lukeyGT
22-05-2013, 16:01
Hi all. Having some starting issues with my 5 and think whatever this part is (some sort of sensor?) or the other end where its connected to is the problem. Thanks in advance guys

Bigfoot
22-05-2013, 16:03
What wire you looking at. Top one is for your knock sensor, the bottom one is for TDC sensor

lukeyGT
22-05-2013, 16:05
Looking at the wire/connection above the yellow hose dead centre of the picture

Bigfoot
22-05-2013, 16:07
That would be your knock sensor wire. will be screwed into the front of the engine head and goes into the AEI. You can remove it as its not needed, but it can save your engine if it detects knock which it might be doing at the moment if you are having trouble with car, depends on your problem.

lukeyGT
22-05-2013, 16:15
Just had a new engine fitted and took it out yesterday went couple of miles and parked up no problem but as i went to pull away engine just cut out and wouldn't start again. It turns over but there's no spark. Im a bit of a novice when it come's to mechanics but my dad kind of fiddled with the knock sensor and for a second it started up but cut out again. Could this be the problem or the other end where it's connected to base of the engine?

Bigfoot
22-05-2013, 16:18
Unplug the wire from both ends and see if it solves the problem, wont cause a problem with starting as long your helping with fueling. If it solves that could be a fault, if not then there could be another issue which is at cause. But I wouldn't have thought this would stop the car from starting.

lukeyGT
27-05-2013, 09:22
Hi sorry for the lack of reply. I fitted new tdc sensor and still no joy so we took the fuel line into the carb off to see if fuel was getting through and even turning the engine over it was dry as a bone absoloutely nothing getting through. If its fuel related is the first place to look at the fuel pump and fuel filter so see if there's any blockages? When the ignitions on you cant feel the fuel pump vibrating or making any noise so could that be the cause you think?
thanks for the help in advance

chris
27-05-2013, 09:30
The pump doesnt pump until your cranking the engine over check to see if you have spark before you do anythin else

Brigsy
27-05-2013, 09:52
Fuel pump relay has prob gone or pump knackered, the pump will only work when cranking

chris
27-05-2013, 09:55
Fuel pump relay has prob gone or pump knackered, the pump will only work when cranking
thats what i was thinking brigsy mine stuck. or if he has not got spark either i had a problem with relay next to aei and had to remove it

lukeyGT
27-05-2013, 12:57
looks light it was the fuel pump relay in the end lads. took the fuel pump off but couldn't see any obvious signs so used a bit of electrical cleaner on the pump relay and seems to have done the job running nicely again now. thanks for your help lads!