PDA

View Full Version : Changing gearbox what else to change/check?

Billy91
22-05-2013, 08:52
I'll be having my gearbox changed soon and was wondering if I should change anything else while its out? The engine is standard internally as far as I'm aware. I was thinking about putting a lightened and balanced flywheel and an uprated clutch. Would this be worth doing or not? Also the gear box that will be fitted came with the car is there anyway to make sure it's a gtt and not a campus box? And make sure it's ok? Thanks

GTphil
22-05-2013, 09:06
A valeo green box clutch for me would be a dead cert, even if you not running massive power it will be future proof, a lightened flywheel would be nice but isn't essential. The gtt box's should have a small plate on the bell housing from memory the code for a phase 2 box is jb3 032 I think, the plate is red, on the phase 1 box's the plate is green I think not sure if they have the same code or not......

GTphil
22-05-2013, 09:09
Just to add, the valeo clutch will make the pedal really stiff, if your not arsed then just keep the standard clutch arm, if you think it will bother you then chuck a soft pedal conversion kit in, it's a longer clutch arm and a different bracket for the cable to go through. Cheap as chips from Volvo when I got mine, was a few years ago tho.

you may also want to replace the bush that the clutch arm sits on inside the bell housing, only pennies from mike. :)

Billy91
22-05-2013, 09:13
Ok thanks I'll check the box tonight and get shopping :) any ideas on what I'll need for the soft pedal kit? Might be worth doing as the clutch is quite stiff as it is. Thanks

GTphil
22-05-2013, 09:53
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4732

worth a read;)

Kris M
22-05-2013, 10:09
Definatly do the soft pedal conv. Best thing I've done to my 5s. Will make it nicer to drive and save your clutch cables

michael tierney
22-05-2013, 14:14
the gtt box wont have a speedo drive!

Billy91
23-05-2013, 09:57
Ok thanks I didn't get a chance to check the box last night so will check tonight. I've just a had a phone call from the company providing the clutch. They said the valeo part number I gave them 3 peice (green box?) is no longer available from valeo it's a luk version now. Would this be ok to use? It's £62 + vat and they say its just as good as the valeo?

SCHWARTZ
23-05-2013, 10:01
Doubt it will be just as good, maybe in a standard car but start upping the boost and it will slip sooner.

GTphil
23-05-2013, 10:01
I'm pretty sure it will be fine upto 200ft/lbs its after that they start to slip, the valeo one will take 220ft/lbs so unless your planning on going over that power level it will fine.

Wallace
23-05-2013, 10:56
Definatly do the soft pedal conv. Best thing I've done to my 5s. Will make it nicer to drive and save your clutch cables

:agree:

gttjames
23-05-2013, 15:14
yet to try the the soft pedal conversion but i didnt mind the stiff clutch of a valeo soon got used to it

Only other thing id mention is check crankshaft main oil seal, i had one leak and got all inside bell housing and ruined a clutch