PDA

View Full Version : battery light

SCHWARTZ
19-05-2013, 22:45
Right my battery light keeps lighting up a suttle glow on idle and between gear changes, also I have noticed that when I turn the key to start there is a gap between turning the key and the starter turning and this pause is gradually getting longer.
I know this is going to be starter and alternator related but any advice on things to check would be great. I have a b18ft fitted but still use gtt loom for starter.
I havnt done the relay starter mod would it be worth wile me doing this?

Hoolio
19-05-2013, 23:00
Isn't this the brushes in the alternator?

SCHWARTZ
19-05-2013, 23:04
I have a spare couple of alternators may try one of those. Bought this alternator as a recon unit as thought old one had a fault turned out to be starter wiring may stick that back on as it felt better when that one was on.

Hoolio
19-05-2013, 23:25
I have a spare couple of alternators may try one of those. Bought this alternator as a recon unit as thought old one had a fault turned out to be starter wiring may stick that back on as it felt better when that one was on.

No need to change the alternator, just swop over the voltage regulator see if it's that.

SCHWARTZ
19-05-2013, 23:36
Ok could try that. May be easier for me to just swap whole thing as I have no idea how to swap that bit.
This wouldn't have any affect on the starter tho would it?

LiamR
20-05-2013, 00:25
The relay starter mod made a great difference to starting my 5. Turns over better and no delay now.

Mine got so bad it would only turn over once in about every 30 ignition turns. Was very tedious.

TopCat
20-05-2013, 07:56
Ok could try that. May be easier for me to just swap whole thing as I have no idea how to swap that bit.
This wouldn't have any affect on the starter tho would it?

Its a regulator/brush pack built in one mate.

You'll see 2 torx bolts holding the regulator/brush assembly (on the back of the alternator) undo them and unbolt the live feed wire for it and you're done :)

The brushes are carbon, and run on a slip ring inside the alternator- make sure the slip ring isn't massively work and scored.

If the brushes are low- swap them over for a second hand set (if you have a spare alternator) or call an auto factor and get a set- shouldn't cost more than £15.00

SCHWARTZ
22-05-2013, 21:27
Right swapped the altenator as its a quick job and thought it had solved the light issue but no, at a set of lights the battery light slowly started to illuminate:mad:
Before this happened when I went to start the car the starter paused for a second then fired(no click) also this was after the car had been stopped for a while but not had enough time to cool completly. Seems to do this when being started after not cooling down completly if that makes sense:laugh:
My thoughts are that its the starter causing this or the wiring to it causing a drain. Any ideas? I have another starter here so may whack that on.:rolleyes:

michael tierney
22-05-2013, 23:08
sounds like a bad earth somewhere....check them all

SCHWARTZ
23-05-2013, 09:52
Will check the earths tonight for corrosion but all are there and all are tight.

TopCat
23-05-2013, 10:05
Check your out put off the alternator- just to eliminate that. Check your connections at the alternator- are they tight? Is the wiring or connectors corroded?

Check all your alternator wiring harness and clean all the earths.

Get a digital multi meter and do some resistance testing- it will save you hours of guessing the fault.

Good luck mate

James5
23-05-2013, 10:13
Check your out put off the alternator- just to eliminate that. Check your connections at the alternator- are they tight? Is the wiring or connectors corroded?

Check all your alternator wiring harness and clean all the earths.

Get a digital multi meter and do some resistance testing- it will save you hours of guessing the fault.

Good luck mate

:laugh: Come on don't be so sensible it's Gary he checks electric's by using his tongue:cooter:

TopCat
23-05-2013, 10:30
Hahaha!!!!

SCHWARTZ
23-05-2013, 10:40
Did the tongue test the alt is kicking out a lot of volts:cooter: Still nicer than the coolant test:D

All wires to the alt are fine all connectors are new and tight.
Il check the voltage with a multimeter tonight and see what that says but both alts have been basicly new.
Think the restiance testing is the thing I need to do to see where the drop occurs. Which button on the multi-meter is it?:laugh:

TopCat
23-05-2013, 10:47
Did the tongue test the alt is kicking out a lot of volts:cooter: Still nicer than the coolant test:D

All wires to the alt are fine all connectors are new and tight.
Il check the voltage with a multimeter tonight and see what that says but both alts have been basicly new.
Think the restiance testing is the thing I need to do to see where the drop occurs. Which button on the multi-meter is it?:laugh:

PMe your email ill take a pic of my multimeter