PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a decent Auto Electrician

Hammer
19-05-2013, 18:42
Hi chaps,

I'm having problems with the electrics on my 5 and I would really like to get to the bottom of it. Can anybody recommend a decent electrician who can give the electrics a good going over?

I'm in Buckinghamshire but if I can find the right person I'm willing to pay their traveling expenses.

Thanks

NRG
19-05-2013, 18:47
What's up with it ?

TopCat
19-05-2013, 18:47
My mate is the bees knees. Where exactly ru mate?
He's mobile but only covers certain areas

Brigsy
19-05-2013, 18:51
This is what you need to do mate..

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4724

Hammer
19-05-2013, 19:27
Cheers chaps,

Basically the car is only turning over some of the time...other times it's completely dead. It always seems to happen to me when I've gone a fare distance as well, it never happens when I'm close to home...sods law! Today it happened at the pump after I'd refueled. I wasted 2 hours of my precious Sunday afternoon sat on a garage forecourt :mad:

I live near Aylesbury, so Mark said he would take a look if I'm stuck. But first I'm going to try the link that jon gave me and see what I can do.

Thanks chaps

greggtt
19-05-2013, 20:56
When you say dead do you mean dash lights as well ? Ie nothing at all

Nick k
19-05-2013, 21:53
If the link above is about putting a relay on the starter circuit then I second that :agree: it's the heat that builds up around the starter motor area that's the main issue. Both my cars do it.

LiamR
20-05-2013, 00:38
If the link above is about putting a relay on the starter circuit then I second that :agree: it's the heat that builds up around the starter motor area that's the main issue. Both my cars do it.

Agreed as well. Do the mod. It makes a massive difference I found. My 5 started once in 30 turns. Now it starts on the button each and every go.

Markey Mark (BD)
20-05-2013, 07:21
Give the relay mod a go mate, if you do get stuck as I said on fb i'm willing to have quick look for you as i'm not too far from you. Shouldn't be anything too bad to fix

Hammer
20-05-2013, 11:11
Thanks everybody. When I say dead, all the dash lights still come on...just the car refuses to do anything else ;)

I'm going to be honest, I'm really not going to be able to do this mod...mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I will never have the time to do it. So I will have to pay somebody to do it.

Mark, is this something you would be able to do (and have time to do) please? Of course I will pay you, I would just need to know how much to budget for it.

Thanks

Sparkie
20-05-2013, 13:07
do the dash lights go dim as you try and start it - when it doesn't turn over?

Markey Mark (BD)
20-05-2013, 17:10
Mark, is this something you would be able to do (and have time to do) please? Of course I will pay you, I would just need to know how much to budget for it.

Yeah that's ok mate I don't mind helping out

olidaviesuk
20-05-2013, 18:04
99% of the time this is caused by the starter heat shield and correct heat insulation being missing from that part of the loom, the starter solenoid and wiring just aren't capable of withstanding the amount of heat that the turbo and manifold put out... and breakdown over time....

New relay is a work around but ideally replacing the back part of the engine loom, then covering it in Motorsport wiring heat insulation and a heat shield for the starter is a more permenant fix... If you see what mark fish used to do to the cup cars its a great example of how to do it well...

greggtt
20-05-2013, 19:33
Buy a heat shield mate it sorted my old car , mike at gt turbo spares should have something .

Hammer
20-05-2013, 19:53
do the dash lights go dim as you try and start it - when it doesn't turn over?

They seem to dim a little mate. I can't quite remember as it's starting okay now.

I am starting to think it may be to do with the heat now. It was a warm day on Sunday, and the car was hot when I got to the petrol station. Once the car had cooled down was when it fired up again