PDA

View Full Version : Newbie perc fan and brake help

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:17
Ok so after a run out in the 5 I parked up for 5-10 min then jumped back in and had issues starting. After reading a few threads I come to the conclusion it's the perc fan. This is the second time it's happened. Theres no heat shield and the sensor is just hanging also . This is my first 5 so it's all new to me.... So how can I tell if my perc fan works? Should I replace the sensor????

Also when I got back and i was cleaning it down I noticed my my brake callipers were right up against my alloys (standard alloys) about 2-3mm clearance is this normal? There's no sound of grinding etc when I drive.

Cheers :confused:

BabybluGTT
19-05-2013, 18:23
Welcome buddy, does the car not start at all? Mine has hot start issues but after turning over for about 10 seconds with a blip of throttle it always starts up? Never had a perc fan and never had any issues :) Also the brake situation is normal :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
19-05-2013, 18:25
With the calipers is normal for them to sit very close to the standard wheels

As for perc fan, check that the motor hasn't seized this is a common fault

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:26
Hi mate cheers for the welcome :)

She starts fine cold and hot it's just been a couple of times she hasn't. I just want to make sure the fans working and with the sensor been possibly fried on the turbo is there any way of checking the fan works? When does it kick in etc....

B18ftMOJO5
19-05-2013, 18:27
Welcome mate. Get some pics up. Im sure youll have it sorted soon.

Markey Mark (BD)
19-05-2013, 18:30
Hi mate cheers for the welcome :)

She starts fine cold and hot it's just been a couple of times she hasn't. I just want to make sure the fans working and with the sensor been possibly fried on the turbo is there any way of checking the fan works? When does it kick in etc....

I'd run power to the fan just to see if it works first of all, after that then check all the wiring by looping out the sensors. If alls ok then it'll be the sensors, there's one above the turbo as you know and one in the inlet manifold
There's no real deffinate time for it to kick it, it'll only kick in when these sensors detect when its too warm

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:31
With the calipers is normal for them to sit very close to the standard wheels

As for perc fan, check that the motor hasn't seized this is a common fault

Excuse my ignorance but how do I check if it has seized??

Markey Mark (BD)
19-05-2013, 18:32
Excuse my ignorance but how do I check if it has seized??

If you remove the perc fan you'll be able to spin it by hand

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:33
If you remove the perc fan you'll be able to spin it by hand

Haha cheers :p

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:35
I'd run power to the fan just to see if it works first of all, after that then check all the wiring by looping out the sensors. If alls ok then it'll be the sensors, there's one above the turbo as you know and one in the inlet manifold
There's no real deffinate time for it to kick it, it'll only kick in when these sensors detect when its too warm

Ha! Sorry mate but I ain't the sharpest knife in the draw :D and like I said this is all new to me and haven't got a clue how to do all that hahaha

Sorry

Markey Mark (BD)
19-05-2013, 18:39
Ha! Sorry mate but I ain't the sharpest knife in the draw :D and like I said this is all new to me and haven't got a clue how to do all that hahaha

Sorry

Its ok mate, we all had to start somewhere ;)

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:50

So how do I do that then :laugh:

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:50
Its ok mate, we all had to start somewhere ;)

Cheers mate haha

Brigsy
19-05-2013, 18:54
The gtt's dont really start that well regardless of perc fan or not when hot mate, give it some throttle and crank until it fires.

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 18:59
The gtt's dont really start that well regardless of perc fan or not when hot mate, give it some throttle and crank until it fires.

Cheers mate. Also read that if I change the carb from standard to a modified one you don't need the perc fan??? Is this right?

Brigsy
19-05-2013, 19:01
Nah it makes no difference mate. Whoever said that was full of **** lol.

As for the brakes if it has a 285 conversion it sounds about right.

Higgy82
19-05-2013, 19:04
Nah it makes no difference mate. Whoever said that was full of **** lol.

As for the brakes if it has a 285 conversion it sounds about right.

:laugh::laugh: sound.

safehands
31-05-2013, 09:41
Is removal of the percent fan advised? I removed my old one with no probs at all afterwards and planned to do the same. Remove or disconnect altogether probably.