PDA

View Full Version : Gt22v vnt turbo advice

Fordy
16-05-2013, 10:14
I have a good gt22v vnt turbo off an Audi 3ltr q7 and I'm wonder if anyone has fitted this turbo to a 5 before and could give any advice before I start to fabricate it to fit

James5
16-05-2013, 10:33
Not converted one of the Q7 VNT's myself but going by the VNT GT22v range the compressor cold side is designed for a diesel and tend to be quiet small.

Is it the electronic actuator type version of the vacum type??

Remember you will need to change the actuator to the normal petrol car type unlike the diesel engine to which was designed to close the vanes when boost level hit and vacum pulls it closed. The 5 doesn't work like that and you therefore need to use the actuator rod length to restrict how far the vanes open to far therefore arm length will be what set's your boost level.

You got any pic's of matting face's?? does it bolt onto the 5 manifold?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=112093#post112093

SCHWARTZ
16-05-2013, 11:02
Speak to james5

SCHWARTZ
16-05-2013, 11:03
Too slow:laugh:

Fordy
16-05-2013, 11:03
Yeah it's the electronic type, luckily the electronics are faulty hence why the whole turbo has been replaced.

It's a 3 bolt manifold flange and a 3 bolt exhaust flange, so will need to make them up which should be too hard with an cnc shop in my village

I'm wondering if this will give me any gains over my technics stage 3 t25 and 285 cam at the top end? But im guessing thats trail and error with this?

James5
16-05-2013, 12:08
Yeah it's the electronic type, luckily the electronics are faulty hence why the whole turbo has been replaced.

It's a 3 bolt manifold flange and a 3 bolt exhaust flange, so will need to make them up which should be too hard with an cnc shop in my village

I'm wondering if this will give me any gains over my technics stage 3 t25 and 285 cam at the top end? But im guessing thats trail and error with this?

One thing I will say with a VNT is make your TDC sensor adjustable and put it at full retard.

3 bolt flange for manifold so as you say adaptor plate needed, and a 9 degree 3 bolt rear elbow or all on one jobbie. you will also need actuator bracket then and a decent positive pressure actuator.

The gains you should have with a vnt are minimal to no lag, you can adjust the vnt so that you can have it come on boost anywhere in the rev range you want it. Takes quiet a bit of setting it up and some burnt hand's as grub screw is a bugger to get to.

Downside is I am not sure on spec of your's and have a feeling the front side might be quiet small not sure what your aim is for the car bhp wise and usage wise. You could consider a bigger trim front wheel and housing. Other than that it will still make for a rapid 5 VNT boost build up is around 500rpm's from full boost to no boost

Fordy
16-05-2013, 14:04
You make it sound so easy James lol

Spec is okay 285 cam and springs, head work, new pistons and liners but standard compression, which I think might limit my power, other silly things like phase 1 pump n filter

If can get the turbo on and working ok at a safe low boost level with a fully retarded tdc I'll invest in nodiz or omex I think.

Do you know I you can buy flange adapters for these turbos James or is it completely a one off jobbie

James5
16-05-2013, 15:29
You make it sound so easy James lol

Spec is okay 285 cam and springs, head work, new pistons and liners but standard compression, which I think might limit my power, other silly things like phase 1 pump n filter

If can get the turbo on and working ok at a safe low boost level with a fully retarded tdc I'll invest in nodiz or omex I think.

Do you know I you can buy flange adapters for these turbos James or is it completely a one off jobbie

It's quiet easy to do I have coonverted a few over the years now and had a few myself, fantastic turbo for the 5 just a shame they require so much work to setup but once setup correctly ultimate turbo for the 5. Have them boost like a t2 yet power of a much bigger turbo

Std compression is fine matey I ran my VNT on a high comp MSM engine and anything over 25psi would cause det, when fuelling for WOT on the VNT I always aimed for no more than 11.9 might be worth making some det cans up so can monitor this.

I also had to have the TDC fully retarded. The setup you have will work perfect with the VNT just remember it takes time to set them up correctly.

For example years back i managed 197bhp @ 16psi at track n road rolling road at an RTOC event and that was with carb problems and water injection damping my spark the car was revved to 7880 on a 285 similar spec cam (MSM jobbie) and the turbo wanted more just the other problems causing fault's.

ref ignition consider Adaptronic matey I recomend as alot of member on here use it so advice is easy to get hold of also you have Chris aka Scoff on here as Adaptronic dealer and can sell offer advice and assist you also Andy on the adaptronic forums is very helpful aswell so after sales help and techincal questions is fantastic well worth the money.

Your going to have to get an adaptor made none out there for this conversion, if you went for the Audi 2.8ltr vnt the turbo flange would have bolted straight to the 5 manifold

Fordy
16-05-2013, 18:03
found out the turbo is an gtb2260vk commonly used for vag diesel upgrades so hopefully I can find some flanges done and just weld them together some how.

it'll be fun either way :laugh:

some specs I found on darkside developments regarding wheel sizes

Fordy
26-07-2013, 18:23
thought i'd update this

Well the 2260vk died, the vanes were sticky so upon stripping it down pretty much every exhaust housing bolt snapped :cry:

BUT today.....

I have got a good used BV50 Vnt turbo the best bit is that this works 100%.

Its slightly weaker than the garrett but tbh this is for ****s and giggles so if it lasts 500miles i'll be happy :wasntme:

Going to have to modify a couple of things
return pipe flange as is funky shape
the exhaust flange is a 3 bolt so have to make a t2 to 3 bolt adapter

once this is done I can fit it to my engine jig and get downpipe and everything made up so its a bolt on fit :agree:

picture of the turbo for you all to enjoy