PDA

View Full Version : painting oe rear spoiler

Nad-5GTT
15-05-2013, 20:04
Hello I primed my spoiler with a plastic primer a few months back, now today I was just nipping it back ready for a coat of high build and I've noticed there's hairline cracks appearing in the paint where the spoiler is so flexible ( it's like a hard foam ) is there any special paint I need to use or have I just got to keep this spoiler dead straight whilst working on it. Cheers in advance :D

Phoenix Autosport
15-05-2013, 20:48
you need to use a plasticising agent in the primer and paint or it will crack like bu663ry ;)

Nad-5GTT
15-05-2013, 20:50
you need to use a plasticising agent in the primer and paint or it will crack like bu663ry ;)

Lovely cheers man, I take it my local paint supplier will stock this?

Haz
15-05-2013, 20:51
They will always flex and crack. Even prepping and painting on a bench it will do it while fitting.The cracks go all the way through the paint so you would have to buzz it right back to loose them. The best way is to bond it to the car, clamping it to some wood to keep it straight then block it on the car reducing the cracks, and as it won't flex and now you can high build it to loose the cracks and block it back again.

Phoenix Autosport
15-05-2013, 20:54
yep a paint suppliers will know what you need, make sure they know what type of paint you want it for and get a copy of the datasheet from them so you have a copy of the mixing instructions as it generaly isnt printed on the container of trade products :coffee:

Junglist
15-05-2013, 21:19
When mine was sprayed with the car the guy said because of the material it's made of the paint might last a year before it cracks. 4 years later no cracks not sure what wad used. Pretty pointless post really sorry.

Nad-5GTT
15-05-2013, 22:13
They will always flex and crack. Even prepping and painting on a bench it will do it while fitting.The cracks go all the way through the paint so you would have to buzz it right back to loose them. The best way is to bond it to the car, clamping it to some wood to keep it straight then block it on the car reducing the cracks, and as it won't flex and now you can high build it to loose the cracks and block it back again.

This could be a good way, would I need the plasticyser still. And can I just use high build onto my o/e bumper? It's got coat of rattle can plastic primer on there at the no.

gttjames
19-05-2013, 20:40
mine had these hairline cracks, had it removed and repainted - had a couple where it had been refitted and flexed, then a year later they where back. Just had my 5 painted and spoiler again this time we left it on tailgate so hopefully no flexxing when refitted and itl be ok?

Nad-5GTT
19-05-2013, 21:09
Ye cheers for the reply, I think I'm going to fit it on then paint it, this seems the logical way:)

Nad-5GTT
20-05-2013, 21:05
Can anyone tell me what size gap I should have from the top of spoiler to top of tailgate, it's not much I know but would like it to be as close to everyone's as possible. Cheers peeps