PDA

View Full Version : getting brave...

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 09:45
ill be honest
ive got mo major mechanical skills to under my belt and im pretty unsure when it comes most things

but i will give it a bloody go if i can
hahaha

im toying wh the idea of big a cheap engine and slowly rebuildi t myself ...taking my time doingit step by step and just genrally somethng to muck around with when im bored.
reading through old threads and on other sites most people have a slight knowledge when they start off but i got nothing.
i got a haynes but they seem so boring and depressing to read at.
does anyone know of a book or dvd that explains engies/hw the work/ and basicaly a step by step of a i/c engine?

cheersssssssssss

D4WNO
30-12-2008, 11:53
Are you ever going to post a thread in the correct forum? I'm gonna start charging you soon for the time it takes me to move all your threads :laugh:

Mart
30-12-2008, 12:04

Good start...

finsta
30-12-2008, 12:10
http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=44601&langId=-1;)

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 13:17
well i dont know what it would go under as some would say its technical question and some would say general chat.
i dont know
hahaha
apologeis for my error
:)
thanks for the link finsta ive actualy got one of those waiting for down at my local model shop i aint had time to pick it up though

anyone else any ideas
cheersssssssss

J$£5GTT
30-12-2008, 13:29
prodjectz an restoz :smokin:

CJ GTT
30-12-2008, 13:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdogz

Good start... :laugh: @ Mart

:wasntme:

finsta
30-12-2008, 13:34
get down and get it mate. altough it aint a c1j it will give you a good idea of what goes on in there. plus you dont get any hasle off the mrs for getin oil everywhere:)

CJ GTT
30-12-2008, 13:47
i do agree,its a very good idea and ideal to learn,

but you do need to read aswell and haynes is a must read.

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 13:52
i kno i will have to read a bit but i just find the haynes the most boring book EVER!!!!!
hahahaha
so dull and depressing
i need bright pictures and bits to colour in hahahahaha

Andrew Cooke
30-12-2008, 13:58
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-LADYBIRD-BOOKHOW-IT-WORKS-THE-MOTOR-CAR-654_W0QQitemZ330296252765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Boo ks_ChildrensBooks_ChildrensBooks_GL?hash=item33029 6252765&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 14:04
i cant colour that in its a near collectible
hahahahaha

D4WNO
30-12-2008, 14:08
i kno i will have to read a bit but i just find the haynes the most boring book EVER!!!!!
hahahaha
so dull and depressing
i need bright pictures and bits to colour in hahahahaha

If you wanna learn, you'll read it just like the other thousand members on here lol

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 14:26
hahaha
well i guess ill try...i wasnt saying i wouldnt i was just looking for an alternative
hahaha
sometimes it gets menotanous reading bw pages of small print and it can get you annoyed and you lose focus on the job.
well i can anyway...
a lot of the time 2 different things can give you the same answer but the layout and presentation of one is more effective than the other
if that makes sense
and apologies for my crap spelling

Chris Hebden
30-12-2008, 15:42
I fully agree with you mate BUT unfortunately you've gotta start somewhere and if your not mechanically minded then the Haynes is the way to go!

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 15:56
i accept defeat
and i will read the haynes
hahaha
but im stil gona search for other books

Markey Mark (BD)
30-12-2008, 16:26
Another way to learn mate is to take a spare engine apart and see whats in there then put it back together, thats the way i learnt and a few other members i know.

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 16:29
sounds good mate

i dont have a spare engine though
what im gona do is buy one and slowly slowly replace it with top parts then once its done in 10 years ill put it in my 5

hahaha

Markey Mark (BD)
30-12-2008, 16:34
sounds good mate

i dont have a spare engine though
what im gona do is buy one and slowly slowly replace it with top parts then once its done in 10 years ill put it in my 5

hahaha

Theres a few on ebay which are being sold, honestly its one thing reading about engine building but best way is to actually do it and see first hand how it works and what goes where. If its a spare engine then it means you can take your time doing it

djinuk
30-12-2008, 17:37
The way i first learnt about engines, was when my first pug 205 xs blew its headgasket.. i got a quote.. ****ed my pants at the cost , then signed up and found out how to do it myself, then i brought the best tools i could buy and set about doing it, needless to say i earn learned how to go about raising compression and adjusting ignition timing on the same engine to my advantage, and around a week later it was back out pulling the pants down on all the ford xr2i 16vs my mate had... good old pug.. (thats that grey one thats on the drive btw mark)

I myself would buy a cheap car that you dont need to rely on and delve into it getting your hands dirty, i think rebuilding a engine over a long period of time for your first outing in the mechanical world would be over the top, better of starting with jobs like headgaskets, cambelts water pumps and so on, so at least every other week you can see the engine running again, rather than a dirty lump sat on the floor in a billion parts, with not really knowing if all you have done is correct.

dgdogz
30-12-2008, 20:22
cheers for the advice
i would do that but ive got a couple problems
i have no driveway and i stay in a council estate
so if i buy a **** car and leave it on the street itl get raped and stripped
so im not gona do that
im jus thinkin at least if i have a big bench with it stripped on top of that then i can see what im doin and not worry too much

Chris Hebden
30-12-2008, 22:25
Either or mate. As Mark as mentioned its alot easier to have the thing infront of you, but always look at the Haynes to get a good idea of how it all works together

dgdogz
31-12-2008, 10:38
well my missus is going to buy me the haynes model engine to build over the next day or so so i can get a little idea of how it goes
cheers chaps

finsta
31-12-2008, 10:44
well my missus is going to buy me the haynes model engine to build over the next day or so so i can get a little idea of how it goes
cheers chaps
:agree: let us know how you get on with it bud.:D

dgdogz
31-12-2008, 11:16
i will do its only a little model but ill post up some pics when its done
no doubt ill get stuck
hahahahahahha

Penfold aka The Dealer
31-12-2008, 11:34
I would buy a cheap engine, strip and rebuild using the orginal parts... and once you feel comfortable with building an engine then buy expensive up rated parts... no point in f*cking up good parts.