PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good way to flush cooling system or waste of time???

stu21t
06-05-2013, 10:08
I want to flush the cooling system in the cossie and wondered if a good way of doing it would be, to run the car up so it's nice and hot, so all the crap is soft and moving, then take the turbo return off of the header tank and with the engine still running let all the crap flow out and just put fresh water in the tank to keep it topped up.
Would this be a good way of doing it or a waste of time?
The reason I thought of it is its how you do a hot flush on a central heating system at home.

The system is currently drained so a lot of crap will already be gone, and I'm going to fill it up with fresh water now.
I've also ordered some dei coolant flush but thought I'd do this to get rid of the majority of crap first then put the flush in and do it again later.

What do you think?

Brigsy
06-05-2013, 10:33
Could work i suppose, depends how fussy the cossie cooling system is, some cars get hot when the system has no cap on and coolant doesn't circulate properly.

I just usually flush it forward and backwards cold with the hosepipe, has always worked ok.

stu21t
06-05-2013, 11:45
It works fine with no cap.
Another reason for doing it this was is that my system is a bitch to fill properly and not airlock. And by just taking off the bottom rad hose it doesn't drain fully so I have to take a hose off by the engine and it makes a lot of mess, by pulling off the turbo return I can just extend that hose to outside the car/garage and make no mess.

Trevhib
06-05-2013, 20:29
If you get the car hot, let most of the coolant drain out and then immediately replace it with cold water in to flush it out you, could bust something internal. Just something to be aware of.

Mr Raider
06-05-2013, 22:00
To empty mine, i take bottom rad hose off and let it drain, then blow through header tank to get the rest out ;)

Sparkie
06-05-2013, 22:29
i used to do it like this on the gtt, except i put hot water back in at first, also a dollop of flash floor liquid too....

Tony Walker
06-05-2013, 22:32
i attach a hosepipe to a header hose and let it pour through while revving the engine, keeps a constant supply altho fiddly to set up as you pump more out the faster you rev it. then attach back together with some sort of flush let it get hot then do the same again.

stu21t
07-05-2013, 00:20
I was going to top it up with hot water.

I think I will give it a go.

Trevhib
07-05-2013, 10:12
:agree:

THE MASTER
07-05-2013, 10:45
stu just do the same as above but start flushing from cold engine

stu21t
07-05-2013, 11:09
Col, wouldn't it be better hot so the stats open and as above, when it hot all the debris will be soft and moving around?

Sparkie
07-05-2013, 23:36
take the stat out?