PDA

View Full Version : Refitting engine with gearbox in situ

Biggs
04-05-2013, 17:13
It's been a while since I've done this and am now at the point where I'm stuck, I've changed the clutch( without an aligning tool ) and have got the engine back in the bay but cannot for the life of me get the box and engine to line up.

I don't really want to pull out the box and engine so as there any hints/tips that I'm forgetting that will make my life easier ?

I've been at it for over an hour now and am just about to call it a data s go get pissed, but would be nice to have the bit sorted and ready for the morning

Thanks in advance

michael tierney
04-05-2013, 17:19
check the alignment by feeling the outer part of the clutch plate and the inner part of the pressure plate...........u did try the new plate on the g/box splines first?? then fit the 2 large studs into the engine end...helps line it up

chris
04-05-2013, 17:23
Try turning the input shaft on gearbox mate

R5MJH
04-05-2013, 17:37
i turn crank slow while trying to put together if this done work clutch will be misalined and engine needs to come back out sorry mate

Goobie
04-05-2013, 17:51
Undo the gearbox mounts, top nut on rear and plate section on front passenger side, slip jack under the gear box big bell opening end and jack it up so at a angle to help slide the engine into and slot it in the box easier! :agree: Then stick in a couple of bolts and lower it all back down. :cool:

Biggs
04-05-2013, 19:16
check the alignment by feeling the outer part of the clutch plate and the inner part of the pressure plate...........u did try the new plate on the g/box splines first?? then fit the 2 large studs into the engine end...helps line it up

Yeah thats how i aligned it but i didn't check it against the box before fitting :ashamed:

I've whiped the engine back out now, will try again tomorrow

Cheers

Biggs
04-05-2013, 19:17
i turn crank slow while trying to put together if this done work clutch will be misalined and engine needs to come back out sorry mate

Yep, tried that still no luck.

Cheers

Biggs
04-05-2013, 19:20
Undo the gearbox mounts, top nut on rear and plate section on front passenger side, slip jack under the gear box big bell opening end and jack it up so at a angle to help slide the engine into and slot it in the box easier! :agree: Then stick in a couple of bolts and lower it all back down. :cool:

All that was done but it was still a pig :scratch:

Have pulled it all out again, will take box out tomorrow and just bolt it all together out of the car.

I didn't want to drain the oil so thought i'd do it the way i did. wish i just whiped the whole lot out to start with now.

Waste of a day.

Cheers fella

dangerous dave
04-05-2013, 19:38
after ages fking about with just about anything car related i have a cuppa tea, when i go back it slots on.. :scratch:

the power of tea:agree:

Biggs
04-05-2013, 19:59
Yep, tried that too Dave, normally after a quick fag break everything just fits back perfectly, but today, for some reason, nothing went to plan :mad:

R5MJH
04-05-2013, 20:05
i recon the clutch must be a nats cock out mate

Mart
04-05-2013, 20:52
Just whip the 'box out mate. Save all that flaffing around.

Biggs
04-05-2013, 20:59
Just whip the 'box out mate. Save all that flaffing around.

Yeah thats what i'll do in the morning, just couldn't be arsed with it today :crap: