PDA

View Full Version : Wiring & anti perc questions

Andy_
30-04-2013, 20:14
Hi, I'm about to stick my car through the first mot (with me), I've been trying to tidy all the wiring under the bonnet, and check every light/ switch etc.
my anti perc fan was disconnected, I've plugged it back in, traced back to the relay, and the radiator temp switch. But the wires going to the carb temperature switch are missing.
How can I find them without unwrapping a mile of electrical tape? Anyone know where they come out of the loom?

Q#2: I've been told its not a mot failure, but want it working anyway; as soon as I put a fuse into the rear wiper / rear washer socket it blows. I disconnected the switch in the dash, the pump in reservoir and the wiper motor, but the fuse still blows. Is there a place the wires usually split? I'm guessing maybe at the boot hinge left hand side. My theory is use a small battery (1.5v etc) and connect it to each wire and see if the volts show up on 2 wires at other end, or on earth. If anyone has a better idea it would be really helpful.

markg
30-04-2013, 20:50
If you mean the perc fan switch on the carb. It should be connected back to the other perc fan switch over the turbo heatshield. In total you should see 4 wires connected to the two terminals on the heatshield switch. Two of those should be going to the carb switch, orange and blue I think. If you want a pic let me know.

If you have recommissioned the perc fan check it has had a fuse added near to the perc fan itself. It was a recall by Renault but some don't have it fitted. Mine didn't and it did catch fire !. Mike sells safety looms that you can simply plug in to add the fuse.

SCHWARTZ
30-04-2013, 20:52
Just get rid of it.

Andy_
30-04-2013, 21:17
Yeah, I've heard this before, but don't know more than "the perc fan can catch fire. Add a fuse". I know mines had one fitted, I found it today, 10 amps behind right headlight. Should I reconnect it? Can it be modded to run safe without catching fire?

Andy_
30-04-2013, 21:18
I forgot to add I read someone on here had a fuse and it still caught fire. Maybe he had too many amp fuse?

markg
30-04-2013, 21:31
Have a read of this tread - http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=2627&highlight=perc+fan+fuse