PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Speed Season

RussellT
29-04-2013, 09:03
Quiet an eventful start to the 2013 speed season. At the penultimate round last year Doris dropped a valve so it was a repaired engine that lined up for the first event at 3 Sisters.

As always the repairs wernt without problems with a subsequent mapping session at scoffs demonstrating a 20 BHP loss for no obvious reason :scratch:

Anyway compounded to that BHP issue my fellow competitors had developed their cars over the off season and now Mr Russell (Fishy) Herring had a Gripper diff and some other suspension set up mods he was going to see a serious increase in performance. To cap it all they all had the Advan Neova tyre from Yokohama that is a road legal track day tyre.

Anyway long story short I managed to lead the class in the wet but come the dry runs and I was wopped and to add insult to injury another inlet valve broke and I went home on a truck again a distant third with my best time on the drying track.

Slammed 66
29-04-2013, 09:16
Gutted for you Russell :(

I really do like the look of your car and would love a go at sprinting myself one day.

Ross

RussellT
29-04-2013, 09:52
OK so 2 weeks to fix her again before the next event at Aintree and this time we changed all the inlet vlaves.

I was up against some of the quickest cars in the North of England in the form of the Midland Speed Champioinship contenders which included our own Tony Hart of Prima Racing who was campaiging a Clio Williams. He had supplied the parts to repair Doris and in return I had advised him to swap the Toyo Proxes he had on his car for the Advan Neova's. That wasnt such a great move as in 2nd practice Tony's son Peter took 2 seconds off the class record held by me up to that point.

If I went home on a truck again Doris would have completed a very dubious hat trick!

My first practice run was a complete failure due to me leaving the bonnet undone but added to that my bloody mysterious cut out returned with a vengence :cry:

I fiddled with some leads off the altenator and hoped for the best, I dont know if I hit on the problem but she behaved after that.

Into the timed runs and on race boost she held together but my terminal speed was down by 4 MPH on last year 113 to 109 and I was 0.4 of my record. Not a bad effort but way of the Pace set by Team Primma.

Out of the 7 runners left in the class a top running Golf and Ian Butchers R5GTT had been retired after practice I was 6th, this was a very quick group of drivers in the class.

last run I determined to break later for the last corner. I gave it my all sliding the back end through the second corned just making the exit down the straight flat out in 4th gear, huge speed in 4th, over 6K revs, past the marker board and brake for the corner.....

I hit the middle pedal which is solid with no travel but Doris ploughs on with no decereration :eek: BRAKE! I scream in my helmet, a huge adrenalin surge and I give the middle pedal everything Ive got to no avail. I enter the corner in a blind panic and way way too fast. I try and steer but she just understeers onto the the grass of the National course and Im heading straight for my old friend the fence after Beachers Brook. :sad:

I know that I cant stop so I try and steer but the wheels have no bite on the grass, I try to accelerate but they just spin and Im still heading straight for the fence. Then I spot a glimmer of hope.

All the fences have been remade and they are just a bit shorter then they used to be with a gap between them and the perimiter fence. I head for the gap.

When I get there I see that its full of sand with a 2 foot drop onto the sand. I fly through the gap and bounce around which finally slows me down enough to steer back onto the course and complete my run.

New underwear required!

Anyway all seems well and I will be having discussion with the pit crew surrounding a replacement brake servo.

Harewood on the 11th May is the next event and full power down the hill is going to take some re established confidence in the old girls brakes!

Bumblebee1990
29-04-2013, 10:11
Brilliant read! How's Ian butchers car is he still haveing problems?

RussellT
29-04-2013, 11:00
She was loosing oil and I last saw him pulling out of the start queue just in front of me.

RussellT
29-04-2013, 11:07
try this link to the picture of the corner and the fence I managed to go around

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.475308,-2.930228&spn=0.003218,0.006877&t=h&z=17

Bumblebee1990
29-04-2013, 11:07
Ahh that's a shame it was my old car is there a website to view pics?

TNT ANDY
29-04-2013, 12:31
Glad to read this Russle, obviously, the performance could be better, but glad to read of your antics.

Sorry to here Your cutting out is still there.

RussellT
29-04-2013, 12:56
there are a few here http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=1862808092

I think I must have been moving too fast for him :laugh:

RussellT
11-05-2013, 23:07
Back from another day of top club motorsport, this time at Harewood Hill Climb. Ian Butcher was back out so we had 2 Renault 5 GT turbos taking on the mighty Honda Integras and the class leading Pug 205 of James Kerr.
We had a day of intermittent showers with sunny spells that dried the track rapidly in the breezy coditions.
James Kerr ran a mighty 67.87 sec in first practice. I was very wary in Doris having just got her back yesterday with the new servo (thanks Mike of GT Turbo spares). I suspect that there might be some air inthe system yet but they did work which is a bonus. Also present was my cut out and I could only manage a 71.06 run. Ian was on 71.49.

Second practice and I got a clean run with no cut outs to post 70.08 James ran another high 67 and Dan Hollis was the top Integra in second spot on 68.86. Ian was hard on my heels with a 70.40 after I had told him he stood no chance without a Gripper Diff.

Then we had lunch and it rained. Timed run 1 saw James car seize its alternator and it looked like he would be out but he just cut of the belt drive and ran onthe battery.

I managed a 70.28 for 3rd place just behind Dans 69.45 and James well in front on 67.62. Ian was on 71.41 for 6th in a very close class. 2nd time run and with more confidence in my brakes I was delighted with a committed 68.57 a tad behind Dan who improved to 68.28 Ian also had his best run with 69.72 a stonking time considering its basicaly a standard car.

Last run and I tried to banzai it but just locked up down the hill and then cut out again upthe quarry straight. No change inthe top 3 Ian was 6th just over a second behind Doris. With the diff I expect him to beat me :(

Next event for me should be Barbon on the 15th June.

RussellT
12-05-2013, 16:14
Photo of Ian on it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kipp/8730247051/

Bumblebee1990
12-05-2013, 17:00
Glad to see Ian's making progress :agree: he has a piper 270 cam and t2/25 at a bar of boost with forge actuator would be nice to see him wind it up abit :)

RussellT
12-05-2013, 18:16
I told him to book her into Scoffs to check the fueling and see if he can safely run a bit more boost. He needs a bigger intercooler too just on a standard sized metal one at the moment. He has the Yoko Advan Neova AD08 tyres that I couldn't get to fit my car so I need to try them again.

jesus in the seat of a 5
12-05-2013, 19:22
good to hear russ, shame you have had some gremlins...:cry:.. do you run in road going??, I think you do but thought id ask.
good to hear of all your antics etc, I hope to be doing some of my own soon.. if I can ever afford the slicks.....:laugh:, keep us updated russ!!!!!

RussellT
12-05-2013, 19:59
yes road modified drive there and back again (on a good day, that is )

westy94
12-05-2013, 20:06
Would love to get involved in this :)

Bumblebee1990
12-05-2013, 20:18
Yes definatly need shot of that cooler it was on when I bought it. I did buy a front mount but that went pretty quick when I decided to sell it. What's the specs of your car Russell?

RussellT
12-05-2013, 21:51
I put a short film onto YouTube on how to go sprinting and hill climbing and its very easy, here is a link

http://youtu.be/OirF458TsOo

A list of Doris modifications;

ENGINE:
K+N cone air filter.
Hybrid Turbo supplied by Europarts
Cup Mod to wastegate actuator circuit
Removed anti perc fan
Insulated Silicone boost hoses
Alloy front mounted intercooler
BB Tuning alloy Carb elbow
Dechoked enlarged venturi rejetted carb by Europarts
Manifold and head ported by Europarts
Europarts Cam
Lightened and balanced crank and flywheel
Uprated fuel pump and fuel filter
Engine brace
Devil strut brace
Modified breather circuit with catch tank
K Tec stainless 2.5” exhaust.
Adaptronic ECU mapped by Scoff wasted spark ignition, launch control
Oil cooler
Forged pistons and rods

TRANSMISSION:
Volvo clutch
Gripper LSD, R11 turbo final drive

SUSPENSION:
Leda coil over dampers 300lb/in springs
Spax adjustable rears
Proflex bushes
TAS Quick rack

BODYWORK:
K Tec carbon fibre over fibreglass bonnet
Perspex plate behind the rear axle
Safety Devices half cage
Sparco Sprint race seat with race harness.
Front splitter (also very handy as a tyre wall deflector)

BRAKES:
Hi Spec motorsport 4 pot fronts with 285mm vented fronts larger master cylinder
Braided flexible hoses.

WHEELS :
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 15” wheels

Tony Walker
12-05-2013, 21:55
Do you plan to go efi Russel? are you allowed to?

westy94
12-05-2013, 22:17
That is a great vid russ top stuff, my footy career is coming to an end and i will need a hole filling this sounds right up my street, :agree::agree:

RussellT
12-05-2013, 23:02
Scoff and I discussed it and I was going for it but having checked with my clubs eligability scutineer (who owned a 5 back in the day) he said that I couldnt as no R5GT turbos came with EFI.

Before i do anything I need to sort my mystery cut out. I spent a few minutes wiggling wires about this afternoon but she didnt miss a beat. :scratch:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-05-2013, 23:17
Is it specific to the SRs Russ. As in carb cars cannot run efi, but efi cars can run carbs?
I always thought if it was road going with tax mot etc, then it was eligible.

RussellT
13-05-2013, 07:50
Good point Matt James Kerr's 205 is on carbs but there were 205's that ran carbs. There was a R5 Monaco with fuel injection but that was a totally different engine to the C1J.

I dont want to spend some serious money and then run into a class eligibility issue and the guy in question isnt someone you can have a debate with.

Right now I have 2 priorities try and stop that cut out and get the AD08 tyres on my car. They are a 1B tyre on list 1A in my view so you have to use them or be no where.

Sparkie
13-05-2013, 11:41
there were r5's that ran injection....only mono point though!

RussellT
13-05-2013, 12:45
Sparkie was that the 1700 Monaco version, thats the only reference I could find.

if there was a fuel injected CIJ it would proably mean I could run a modern EFI system as you are just updating something that was available as standard, but I would have to check that.

Sparkie
13-05-2013, 12:51
i'm sure there was a campus, with the C3J 702, C3J 760, C3J 700 engine codes that had a cat and monopoint injection. It was a 1397cc unit. whether you can then run multipoint injection instead of monopoint is going to be down to the rules and regs?

Andy M
13-05-2013, 15:44
Is your cutting out on hard boost / cornering Russ? Could be fuel surge? Can you data log what's going on??

Perhaps time for a swirl pot and lift pump? Or even just the crude set up à la cup car??

RussellT
13-05-2013, 18:24
Good Idea Andy and it does happen on competition runs more than normal driving and then its more on the motorway but it can also happen at idle. Its such a sudden and complete off followed by a rapid back on and very loud missfire that it just has to be electrical.

latest idea is that its interferrence so I have ordered a wire mesh bandage from Kemtron to shield the lead from the trigger wheel sensor and earth.

jesus in the seat of a 5
13-05-2013, 19:27
Good Idea Andy and it does happen on competition runs more than normal driving and then its more on the motorway but it can also happen at idle. Its such a sudden and complete off followed by a rapid back on and very loud missfire that it just has to be electrical.

latest idea is that its interferrence so I have ordered a wire mesh bandage from Kemtron to shield the lead from the trigger wheel sensor and earth.

Russ , try another engine earth or gearbox earth, I had this problem and it did mine, not saying it will buddy but worth a shot...:)
also do you have the overboost sensor connected???.....

B18ftMOJO5
13-05-2013, 20:04
Most of the 1.7 engines were n/a. Ive had loads but in europe there was a gte version that ran injection. Cant remember the engine code.

Tony Walker
13-05-2013, 20:16
my old L reg 1.4 campus prima had single point injection, also the turbo 1/2 is a renault 5 :D

Mango
13-05-2013, 20:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thoroughly enjoyed the read :D

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
13-05-2013, 21:10
Looked in the blue book.....:bored:
Can't find anything that says you can't fit efi.

RussellT
13-05-2013, 23:22
Sadly if it doesnt say yoiu can you cant....

Which means that just about every car thats competative is ileagal.

They are all remapped and thats not mentioned.
My view is that the Blue Book regs for Road Going Series Production cars needs a complete rewrite starting with

"The car must have been originally sold and registered for use on the public highway (some race series cars have been put back into road legal trim but there is no telling what modifications have been made to the shell) and everything has to be as the car was sold to the public or have been a dealer supplied option apart from....." and then go on to list allowable modifications.

RussellT
14-05-2013, 16:34
Hitting an apex for once

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/enlarge.asp?ID=11502

Ian taking a very aggresive line into Orchard tends to make the second part too tight and coprimise the exit (as well as your sump!)

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/enlarge.asp?ID=11584

Believe it or not this is almost flat out in 3rd in all the years I have been to Harewood no other photographer has been brave enough to stand where this pic was taken

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/enlarge.asp?ID=11612

DaveL485
15-05-2013, 09:58
Thanks for the vid Russell, just started Autosolo in the ClioSport, but still hungry for more :D:laugh:

Dave Reed
15-05-2013, 11:20
Hey Russell,

This is great reading, all very exciting stuff!

Re your spec..

Have you got mappable ignition?
Also you mention you want to go efi but can't, tbh the difference between efi and carb isn't that much when flat out. The key is ignition maps/turbo and general engine design/setup..

If your having trouble with the carb why not fit something bigger? Have you thought about a bike carb setup? They boost these quite abit with pretty good results.. They are also nice and small.. The inlet mani could be delt with by bog bros or get a flange cut and make your own. Least you'd have an individual carb per cylinder ;)

Anyway good luck!

RussellT
15-05-2013, 11:37
Yes I have mapable ignition

re the EFI it was necesarily for top end power, more for getting the most out of the engine in all situations. In speed events its the mid range that tends to matter the most.

Bike carbs are an idea & I have seen a 5 with a twin carb set up. Its getting it all to work that can take years of head scratching.

Dave Reed
15-05-2013, 11:52
Yes I have mapable ignition

re the EFI it was necesarily for top end power, more for getting the most out of the engine in all situations. In speed events its the mid range that tends to matter the most.

Bike carbs are an idea & I have seen a 5 with a twin carb set up. Its getting it all to work that can take years of head scratching.

Yes very true the r and d is the annoying bit!

You are half way there mind with the mappable ignition.. How about some cheeky Race fuel? Or do they test the fuel? You could get quite a bit more timing in :)

I'd defo be looking into ditching that ****e carb! There are plenty of better ones out their.. I'd looking into the bike carb thing as they are nice and small plus you could but a nice tilt and the manifold, not that it matters much with boosted applications.. Another benefit is the intake runners can be pretty short which helps torque, which is what you want more than power after all...

RussellT
15-05-2013, 12:43
you have to use pump fuel max 100 RON it isnt tested but I dont cheat, some will. I use V power by Shell. I think that the guys running in the British Hill Climb championship have to have the facility to take a fuel sample from the car.

She doesnt do too badly on the original carb with a bit of help from Ian Nixon and more recently Scoff.

DaveL485
15-05-2013, 16:00
Have just applied for the MSA license.

How do you feel about being chased by a 21? :D

RussellT
15-05-2013, 18:06
Very happy you'll be in a different class :laugh:

Well done please PM me if you run into any problems. Which club to you plan to join?

Alex
15-05-2013, 19:37
One day I'll get my act together and get into some club racing. I'm a member of Liverpool Motor Club. :)

RussellT
15-05-2013, 21:47
Liverpool motor club are running my next event at Barbon just North Of Kirby Lonsadale. A classic traditional hill climb up some Lord's drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpClEN6BlqM&list=UULQ-q4yeMFPPt15Wd1v-asg&index=19

DaveL485
20-05-2013, 20:55
Very happy you'll be in a different class :laugh:

Well done please PM me if you run into any problems. Which club to you plan to join?

Im already in the CWMC (Coventry and Warwickshire Motor Club).

RussellT
27-05-2013, 22:56
Latest attempt to sort my sporadic cut out.
http://twitter.com/turborussell/status/339135905883357186/photo/1

RussellT
19-06-2013, 09:48
Barbon on Saturday was looking like a complete wash out as I motored north through very heavy rain showers but in the event the sun came out and we had a cracking day with 2 practice and 4 competition runs up Lord Shuttleworths drive out of the picturesque village nestled in the bosom of the valley.

I had a class win against a non turbo Suby and I managed to just brake 30 seconds (as in 29.99!) which isnt a bad time.

My engine performed faultlessly all day but then suffered the cut out on the way home :scratch: I had the new Advan Neova AD08 tyres on which are amazing however one of the rears was being cut into by the edge of the inner wing. I bent it out of the way but I fear the tyre structure has been comprimised as the side wall has developed a nasty bulge so I have ordered a replacement.

My other major issue was my brakes not working properly and racing into a tight hairpin with poor brakes is not for the faint hearted as it looks like your driving at a armco wall. I am going to work on lubricating the pistons in the calipers when I get chance.

Anyway here is a clip of my last run, enjoy a demonstration of torque steer.

:dearme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EMuFoXsIyMA

Alex
19-06-2013, 10:10
Brilliant, great shot Russ! :D

*Yellow*
19-06-2013, 10:35
My other major issue was my brakes not working properly and racing into a tight hairpin with poor brakes is not for the faint hearted

What brake set up you running Russ?

RussellT
19-06-2013, 10:58
Hi Spec Billet 4
I know that they can work really well, however things I have found out that you really need to know up front are;
1. You have to change the master cylinder for a bigger one.
2. The pads they sell you stick in the calipers and have to be filed down to fit.
3. If because of 1 or 2 above the pads arnt moving freely the pistons seize up.
4. Be prepared to send the calipers off for an overhaul at intervals.

*Yellow*
19-06-2013, 11:14
That set up should certainly stop you....so you have the 285mm discs?

I went to Hi spec as not far from me, They told me he could fit a 285mm disc and caliper inside the standard 13" wheel........

I'm running 260mm discs with Wilwood 4 pots and Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Transformed my car.
Like you, going into slow corners I was hanging on hoping it would slow down enough for the turn with my old pretty standard set up, not good.

robw
19-06-2013, 15:16
Hi Spec Billet 4
I know that they can work really well, however things I have found out that you really need to know up front are;
2. The pads they sell you stick in the calipers and have to be filed down to fit.

When I had Hi Specs a few years ago using Ebc pads, I used a normal sized master cylinder and they worked very well at Mallory park, pads didnt need modifying either.

Tony Walker
19-06-2013, 20:22
I have to file down pads quite often before fitting. even with a really clean calliper carrier sometimes there tight :disagree:

RussellT
19-06-2013, 23:04
A short clip of my last run. Not my best strugling to slow down I miss the apex atthe hairpin then take my eye off the ball heading forthe finish.

The 1st car was my only competition on the day

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=WRhOZlz6yUk

DaveL485
21-06-2013, 13:41
Hi Spec Billet 4

I have these too, will bear that in mind. Already discovered the pads need the paint trimming off the outer edges :sad2:

RussellT
01-07-2013, 13:13
Epic weekend of 2 hi quality events. Aintree on sat then 3 Sisters yesterday. Despite the ongoing issues of the engine switching itself off and apalling brakes I managed 2 PBs. The AD08 tyres making all the difference.

That was the good news the bad news was that the competition was so hot that I came 4th at Aintree (Tony Hart of Prima racing was 3rd) and 3rd at 3 Sisters just 0.2 sec behind Fred Curell the reigning Midland speed champion.

My engine cut out 3 times at Aintree and just twice at 3 Sisters.

She is back with the pit crew this morning something very odd with the brakes as they can go from reasonable to so poor I cant even lock the wheels in the wet. My theory is that there is some sh1t in the system somewhere blocking the flow of fluid.

I need it sorting for the Nat Day.

Alex
01-07-2013, 13:25
Well done Russell. The ramdom cutting out must be an annoyance to say the least, electrial I presume? I wonder if the brake issue is related to a failing one-way valve? Does the pedal go really hard when they fail? or straight to the floor?

DaveL485
01-07-2013, 13:33
Epic weekend of 2 hi quality events. Aintree on sat then 3 Sisters yesterday. Despite the ongoing issues of the engine switching itself off and apalling brakes I managed 2 PBs. The AD08 tyres making all the difference.

That was the good news the bad news was that the competition was so hot that I came 4th at Aintree (Tony Hart of Prima racing was 3rd) and 3rd at 3 Sisters just 0.2 sec behind Fred Curell the reigning Midland speed champion.

My engine cut out 3 times at Aintree and just twice at 3 Sisters.

She is back with the pit crew this morning something very odd with the brakes as they can go from reasonable to so poor I cant even lock the wheels in the wet. My theory is that there is some sh1t in the system somewhere blocking the flow of fluid.

I need it sorting for the Nat Day.

The brake flexi's on the Fuego broke down internally to the point where there was no fluid coming through at all, but I assume yours are reasonably new not a million years old like mine were.

What pads are you using? I had real issues with EBC Green Stuff, once they had a beating from new last ND, it wouldnt even lock a wheel in the wet. Went for reds after that, much better.

RussellT
01-07-2013, 22:31
Glazed pads could be an issue. Change the cheap and easy stuff first eh

RussellT
02-07-2013, 15:20
Capacitor fitted to the coil http://twitter.com/turborussell/status/352053452966330368/photo/1

master cylinder changed by the pit crew and apparently they are working much better now.

fingers crossed

RussellT
14-07-2013, 19:41
I'm typing this post at Doncaster North services waiting for the AA to recover me back to Blackpool after my clutch cable snapped in the start line for the last run. Up to then I had been having a titanic struggle with Mr Russell Herring in his Clio cup (mapped by Scoff) . Despite my dodgy brakes (horror story to come) I managed to beat him on Sat with a time of 76.98 around Blyton. I came 3rd just 0.4 sec behind Dave West. Today I was leading Russ with a 76.49 until his final run 76.24 with me stranded in the paddock. So 1 each over the 2 days. Now the horror story. My pit crew tool one of my calipers apart and found a piece of metal lodged in the transfer tube. They reckon it wasn't drilled through properly. I have sent the photo of the piece of metal to hi spec. Good news was with my capacitor fitted I have done ND and 2 events without a single cut out on the track :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
14-07-2013, 21:16
I'm typing this post at Doncaster North services waiting for the AA to recover me back to Blackpool after my clutch cable snapped in the start line for the last run. Up to then I had been having a titanic struggle with Mr Russell Herring in his Clio cup (mapped by Scoff) . Despite my dodgy brakes (horror story to come) I managed to beat him on Sat with a time of 76.98 around Blyton. I came 3rd just 0.4 sec behind Dave West. Today I was leading Russ with a 76.49 until his final run 76.24 with me stranded in the paddock. So 1 each over the 2 days. Now the horror story. My pit crew tool one of my calipers apart and found a piece of metal lodged in the transfer tube. They reckon it wasn't drilled through properly. I have sent the photo of the piece of metal to hi spec. Good news was with my capacitor fitted I have done ND and 2 events without a single cut out on the track :)

well done russ... so good to hear, hopefully ill be back out there soon..:)

RussellT
05-08-2013, 11:25
Yesterday at 3 Sisters Wigan I managed to beat the time I set last year and take a class win, allthough to be fair my main opposition was not enetered.

The good news is that fitting a capacitor between the positive feed to the coil and the cylinder head seems to have stopped, or at least vastly reduced, my mystery cut out. Since it was fitted I have done the national day 2 sprints at Blyton and yesterday at 3 Sisters without any issues at all and the engine seems to be much more happy to rev :D

Also rather bizarely swapping the rear dampers has improved my brakes. The old ones would compress but not rebound (even in a vice and pulling for all your worth didnt move them) thus lowering the rear and effecting the brake ballance via the adjuster on the rear axle.

Next WE Im at Lowton Park quite a scarry hill climb so wish me luck!

Ive also been asked by the TVR club to be part of their demonstration runs on Blackpool Prom by the Metropole Hotel on the 15th September. Should be a laugh.

Woznaldo
05-08-2013, 12:04
Glad to hear you have your 'cut out' issue nipped in the bud and congrats on the class win. Take them wherever you can!

RussellT
05-08-2013, 15:15
:agree:

Red October
06-08-2013, 00:30
Great thread, great videos and a throughly good read.:agree:

RussellT
12-08-2013, 13:30
I survived the trip to Loton Park albeit with 1 trip deep into the undergrowth at the top of the hill. After that start I was very pleased to finish with a new PB of 64.43.
It was a stunning day at a very tricky hill climb. One single seater went home in bits in fact after helping the driver load the car back onto his trailer I retrieved his rear wing from the bin saying that it might still be usefull.

My engine was superb the handling reasuring its just my annoyingly inconsistent brakes that are holding me up, or not :dearme:

RussellT
09-09-2013, 09:06
Doris and I have survived a frantic weekend of sprinting. Aintree on Saturday and 3 Sisters on Sunday. Both superb events run in mainly dry conditions which was a bonus on Sat as it was forecast to rain.

Despite the continued braking issues I managed two wins with new PB's and even a new class record at 3 Sisters. I especially enjoyed the win at Aintree where I beat Mr Keith Minshaul, who had taken the honours over me at our most recent head to head battles, by almost a full second. :D

We are getting to the business end of the various championships when we have the traditional shake up in the order as people start to drop scores and others complete enough events for a full set of counting rounds. Prio to this WE I was second overall however Im hoping for a top 5 finish as long as Doris holds together for the final rounds at the fabulous Anglesey trac on 5th 6th Oct.

Doris is back in the pits as Im going back to the standard brakes. Ive had enough of the Hi Spec. Out of the 8 pistons only 2 move as they should and thats despite a new set of seals and a good clean out and lubrication.

RussellT
10-09-2013, 12:29
Update on the Hi Spec brakes

The pit crew have found that on one of the circuits off the master cylinder the port with the larger hole was connected to the rear brake. Swapping that over has made an improvement and at the moment the Hi Specs are repreaved but still on notice of the bin.

Andrew Cooke
10-09-2013, 19:47
I don't think the pipe sizes make any difference per-ce, but they should be connected diagonally, so the two pipes towards the front of the car will go to diagonally opposite corners of the car.

TNT ANDY
11-09-2013, 06:52
Update on the Hi Spec brakes

The pit crew have found that on one of the circuits off the master cylinder the port with the larger hole was connected to the rear brake. Swapping that over has made an improvement and at the moment the Hi Specs are repreaved but still on notice of the bin.

:laugh:

You keep em on the edge Russ :laugh:

RussellT
11-09-2013, 09:46
Hi Andrew I think that you may well be right we shall see. The TVR owners club have a demo event on Blackpool Prom behind the Metropole Hotel on Sunday I have been asked to bring Doris along so a chance to try them out.

here is a link to the current LDMC championship standings

http://motorclub.genesis-ws.co.uk/images/stories/pdfs/standings/ldmc-speedchamps2013-r12v2.pdf

Looks like Andy Larton is going to win as long as his car holds together over the Angelsey weekend where you get bonus points for attending.

I could do with some other cars in my class otherwise your maximum possible score is restricted so if there are any sprinters out there its a cracking WE.

tony archer
22-09-2013, 20:32
Nice work Russell, they are a nightmare for reliability as I have found out this season!
Just arrived home from a 2 day hill climb at manor farm charmouth and managed a 3rd in class (mod prod) here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago at wiscombe

RussellT
23-09-2013, 14:49
Thats a great photo it should be added to the "action shots" section of the RTOC photo comp. What wheels are you running they look like 13,s ?

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-09-2013, 19:12
Nice work Russell, they are a nightmare for reliability as I have found out this season!
Just arrived home from a 2 day hill climb at manor farm charmouth and managed a 3rd in class (mod prod) here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago at wiscombe

nice pic tony....what club are you running from?, ive just joined woolbridge and DEWS for some action next year...:D

tony archer
24-09-2013, 19:50
Hi Russ, they are 15's on avon slicks unbelievable grip, Jesus I'm in woolbridge too, I think I met you at gurston when you needed an exhaust spring, look forward to some events next year then !!!

Andrew Cooke
24-09-2013, 20:01
have the modprod rules changed? That rear wing wouldn't have been allowed a few years back:confused:

jesus in the seat of a 5
24-09-2013, 20:14
Hi Russ, they are 15's on avon slicks unbelievable grip, Jesus I'm in woolbridge too, I think I met you at gurston when you needed an exhaust spring, look forward to some events next year then !!!

Ahh i see bud.... i remember now, great!!!!, i havent done too much this year as ive been sooo busy with work etc and ive been trying to complete the car after going efi etc.
Look forward to catching up buddy............:agree::)

tony archer
24-09-2013, 20:16
It depends where I am mate;) had to remove it last year for one event then haven't had it mentioned this year !

RussellT
03-10-2013, 16:58
The Chester and Liverpool Speed Championship has finished with me 5th overall in Division 1. 3 maximum scores in the last 4 events pulled me up. The early season was blighted by the electrical gremlin, poor brakes and the dropped valve at the 1st round, oh and the fact that I was up against the Midland speed boys.

All the scores are here a Pug 106 Mod Prod takes the top prize this year.

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-Speed-Championship-Results.pdf

last 2 rounds of the LDMC Championship this WE at Trac Mon Angelsey.

DaveL485
04-10-2013, 09:06
The Chester and Liverpool Speed Championship has finished with me 5th overall in Division 1. 3 maximum scores in the last 4 events pulled me up. The early season was blighted by the electrical gremlin, poor brakes and the dropped valve at the 1st round, oh and the fact that I was up against the Midland speed boys.

All the scores are here a Pug 106 Mod Prod takes the top prize this year.

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-Speed-Championship-Results.pdf

last 2 rounds of the LDMC Championship this WE at Trac Mon Angelsey.

Good stuff. Wish my Fuego was road legal so I could come and join you for playtime!

RussellT
04-10-2013, 15:05
trailer it and enter mod prod judging by your pace at Blyton you could do well until a mega Evo turns up :laugh:

DaveL485
07-10-2013, 09:55
trailer it and enter mod prod judging by your pace at Blyton you could do well until a mega Evo turns up :laugh:

Hmmm. Interesting. Information/website link?

RussellT
07-10-2013, 11:03
Enter Speed Events ii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OirF458TsOo&feature=c4-overview&list=UULQ-q4yeMFPPt15Wd1v-asg)

Covers all you need to know.

As for my last WE I had some issues such as a ripped CV joint boot spraying grease onto the nearside brake disc and prob NS rear tyre however I managed 2 maximum scores against not the fastest cars in my class and I have finished 3rd in the Longton and District Speed Championship. :)

Overall very happy, especially considering I had a valve drop at the first event! One of the best seasons ever lovely weather at most events and fitting the Advan Neova tyres has lowered my times every where. I am going back to Renault OE brakes and I need to do some more noise supression as I still have that pescky cut out once in a blue moon, exiting the fast corner onto the long straight at Trac Mon is not a good time for it to happen. On the limit in the corner it would have spun me off.