PDA

View Full Version : Liner moved :-/

Biggs
27-04-2013, 12:01
Made a mistake yesterday and a liner has moved in the engine. Will I need to open the engine now to reseal it or will it be ok to just push it back and reseat it ?

Starting to remember that I'm no good at repairing things !!

dangerous dave
27-04-2013, 12:40
I didn't pin them down when I had my engine open years ago and just poked them back down when they moved.. Engines still going after 20k or more..

For me it was fine, but it's you were talking about so incoming engine failure..:p

Biggs
27-04-2013, 13:08
I didn't pin them down when I had my engine open years ago and just poked them back down when they moved.. Engines still going after 20k or more..

For me it was fine, but it's you were talking about so incoming engine failure..:p
Hahaha yeah don't you just know it

Biggs
27-04-2013, 13:12
How much do yours move by Dave ? Mine has properly jumped out !!

Brigsy
27-04-2013, 13:14
Whack a new seal in. You will be sick if it doesnt reseal and it all needs to come apart again

Biggs
27-04-2013, 13:38
Whack a new seal in. You will be sick if it doesnt reseal and it all needs to come apart again

:crap: I knew that but was hopeing for loads of "it'll be alright" type replays :(

R5MJH
27-04-2013, 14:03
schoolboy error mate always clamp liners as soon as heads off as brigsys says id put a seal in mate as it will probably end in tears otherwise boss:agree:

dangerous dave
27-04-2013, 14:09
How much do yours move by Dave ? Mine has properly jumped out !!

it was only an inch or so but that was 8 years ago.. someone must have one kicking about for you..

DaveL485
28-04-2013, 11:16
Pull the liner, put the piston at TDC, new liner seal and some sealer (only a tiny bit!) and use a cut down ring compressor to drop the liner back over the piston in-situ. Once over the rings, release ring compressor and remove over the liner.

Otherwise you'll likely be dropping coolant in the sump, if not all the time then when under pressure.