PDA

View Full Version : Methanol injection

Bumblebee1990
25-04-2013, 21:29
Hey guys not sure if I'm in the right section but is anybody running methanol injection on there 5's? I run it on my a4 1.8t Quattro and its spot on. Cools intake temps loads acts as a octane booster and reduces cylinder pressures lots. Just curious if anybody has done it and how they did it.

phase i 16 v turbo
25-04-2013, 21:33
Did many years ago. You have to add other bits in the mix.

Bumblebee1990
25-04-2013, 21:55
Was it added into the tank or via a injector in the boost pipe run?

turbo ted
25-04-2013, 22:29
everyone used to use it back in the day via injector in the boost run near carb top from the windscreen washer bottle Halfords pre mix screen wash has ethanol stops the engine from det but not much of a power gain.

Sparkie
25-04-2013, 22:31
http://www.aquastealth.com/

Bumblebee1990
26-04-2013, 06:49
You can still get the premix stuff for the washer bottle but turns out dearer for what I can get a 25l drum of pure meth for. I sound like a drug dealer :laugh: Is it too much hassle that's why people don't use it anymore?

GTphil
26-04-2013, 07:00
Probably more to do with the fact that things like wideband and knock boxes or knock detection are much more available and cheap to, plus tuning knowledge in general is shared much more.

Bumblebee1990
26-04-2013, 12:51
Yes true but surely methanol simply for its cooling abilities should be enough for people to use it you think?

michael tierney
26-04-2013, 12:57
all about money..ain't a dam thing funny!!!...by the way is the methanol clear or died?

Sparkie
26-04-2013, 13:00
how much does a 25L tub of methanol cost?

then think - EVERYTIME you press the accelerator pedal and come on boost, then that's more juice used. - if you tune your car to use the methanol to its fullest then, if it runs out, then you will go pop.

don't forget that methanol is a 'dry' fuel, and i reckon may aid bore wear as i bet it'll wash the oil off the bores quicker than petrol does?

Bumblebee1990
26-04-2013, 13:24
I can get a 25l tub of meth for £12 quid as my old mans friends owns a solutions company normally its £20 that will last me around two months on a progressive controller and comes in at 3psii. A lot of kits now days come with a low level warning sensor with light so it lets you know when it's nearly empty. The nozzle that you put on the boost pipe run is sprayed in like a fine mist instead of just dumping it in there so it evaporates and taking a lot of the heat with it so meth doesn't actually hit the engine. I can go out for a blast in my audi come back and my inlet mani will still be freezing cold in winter I can wipe ice of it. I'm talking the 1.8t it would be interesting to see if there was a positive effect on a 5 with using meth.

Sparkie
26-04-2013, 23:18
too cold inlet on a gtt with a carb is asking for trouble..... misfires and kangaroo's :( need alittle heat to evaporate the fuel )

dangerous dave
26-04-2013, 23:25
too cold inlet on a gtt with a carb is asking for trouble..... misfires and kangaroo's :( need alittle heat to evaporate the fuel )

i had carb freeze in the summer.. :crap:

intercooler fail:disagree:

Bumblebee1990
27-04-2013, 07:29
Very true never thought of carb freeze :(

Alastair
27-04-2013, 07:51
how much does a 25L tub of methanol cost?

then think - EVERYTIME you press the accelerator pedal and come on boost, then that's more juice used. - if you tune your car to use the methanol to its fullest then, if it runs out, then you will go pop.

don't forget that methanol is a 'dry' fuel, and i reckon may aid bore wear as i bet it'll wash the oil off the bores quicker than petrol does?

I used to use it. Boris made a sneaky oil catch tank for me with a hidden meth tank :-)

Not worth the hassle IMO, you could run an extra 1 or 2 psi boostings but I was always paranoid about the WI coming on and had a large blue led on the dash for confidence.

Better to tune properly on shell or tesco 99 and chuck some octane booster in on top instead.