PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 Clio 172 Gearbox Problem

Ricardo
28-12-2008, 21:36
Doh!! Driving home tonight on the A1M the car sounds a bit agricultural and i lose 5th gear, i have gears 1,2,3 and 4 but selecting 5th it revs freely with no pick up :scratch:

In between gear changes and coasting off throttle i have the noise but it drives all ok, at a standstill, out of gear i have the same noise but on pressing the clutch pedal whilst out of gear the noise changes note.

Obviously i'm assuming the worst and it's having to fit another phase 1 Clio 172 gearbox, any ideas people?? :(

OUTLAW
28-12-2008, 21:39
clutch perhaps.....:scratch:

Ricardo
28-12-2008, 21:40
All i can say is the drove absolutely fine in all 4 gears the last 65 miles of the journey, no 5th gear

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 21:42
sounds like you'll have to pop the tin cover off the end of the box and have a look.

OUTLAW
28-12-2008, 21:45
i had a similar problem...just remembered:smokin:.....sounds more like the clutch thrust bearing...:agree:

Brigsy
28-12-2008, 21:58
This is definitely not clutch or release bearing as no gears would work properly.

I had a similar experience with my gtt, i lost 5th gear totally. Take the end cover off & check the teeth on the gears, all the teeth were stripped off mine, a nice pile of metal in the cover:eek:. Box also sounded terrible i think one of the bearings failed inside, got me home from silverstone in 4th though!

Matt Cole
28-12-2008, 22:04
5th gear shaft assembly nut. have a look inside the metal cover, there may be score marks inside the cover. if your lucky, the nut may still be on the shaft just wedged against the cover. The grinding could means stripped fith gear.

Mart
28-12-2008, 22:05
sounds like you'll have to pop the tin cover off the end of the box and have a look.

:agree: Check the 5th gear nut for starters...

Ricardo
28-12-2008, 22:11
:agree: Check the 5th gear nut for starters...

Will do squire

Scoff
28-12-2008, 22:28
If you've buggered 5th gear you can fetch it off just by removing the black end cap and I have a scrap 172 box incase your stuck for spares. I don't know what I killed in my gearbox, it sounded pretty severe but 5th gear selected and worked OK, 4th was haggered!

Penfold aka The Dealer
29-12-2008, 09:19
I blame the previous owner :eek:

Hope you get it sorted pretty easily mate :agree:

paul b
29-12-2008, 09:40
my moneys on 5th gear but too.....

if your lucky it just dropped off......if your unlucky it will have chewed a few teeth....

its a known problem so dont worry too much....all the J series started life as a 4 speed with a 5th gear bolted on the outside as an afterthought...LOL....french eh

Ricardo
29-12-2008, 16:56
Paul, out of interest i don't suppose you have a dialogys pic of the gearbox gubbings you could link up?

I'm not sure it's a job i can tackle, i'm hoping it's not a gearbox off job as that's something i can't or probably won't do :(

Andrew Cooke
29-12-2008, 18:05
Paul, out of interest i don't suppose you have a dialogys pic of the gearbox gubbings you could link up?

I'm not sure it's a job i can tackle, i'm hoping it's not a gearbox off job as that's something i can't or probably won't do :(

it's pretty simple, you can do it on the car, and it's gonna be pretty obvious once you pop that cover off - which is why I suggested doing just that at the start. In engine terms it's simpler than checking your tappets - albeit a bit oilier.

Ricardo
29-12-2008, 18:48
Ok, cheers Andy. It's something i'll try and look at this weekend

Ricardo
08-01-2009, 19:01
Does anyone know what size socket etc i'd need to try and do up the nut for 5th gear??

Adey aka Ewok
08-01-2009, 19:12
aint got a clue buddy, drain the oil wip the cover off and ull see ;) recon itll be an easier fix than you think tho. i think theres enough space to do it in situe, mabey the wheel and strut out the way. ifs its off put it back on, if its stripped a few teeth change it for another one mabey out of another gearbox completley?:agree: hope you sort it soon bud