PDA

View Full Version : My Speedo & Mileage are dead?

StuHERTS
24-04-2013, 16:28
Hi Guys,
I've read through the previous posts about this oh so common issue, My gear box connection has been checked and is ok but i was wondering if anyone had a diagram or picture of the back of the Dials?

Reason i ask is, the 3 pin connector that plugs into the back of the Speedo (at the bottom),
I need to know which way it plugs in? It can go either way and only 3 of the 5 pins are used.
It looks like the previous owner has had it in both ways as i can see slight scoring on 4 of the copper strips where as only 3 are used (if you know what i mean).

Not sure if by doing that he's knackered it but i really want to get my speedo back on.

I also need to see where the small "plastic strip" connector at the back of the clock plugs in as it was hanging out and there seems to be 2 places it could go.
Without trying both and burning it out or making it worse, i wondered if anyone had a pic to show?

Thanks

Brigsy
24-04-2013, 16:57
The wires go up over when fitting the plug on the back of the speedo. Should really only go on one way. The small plastic circuit board strip goes into the back of the speedo unit. Ill get some pics later if nobody else has any :)

StuHERTS
24-04-2013, 18:32
Thanks Brigsy,
I'll take a pic of mine to show exactly what i mean.

GARAGEMSANTOS
24-04-2013, 19:00
i will put up som pictures in 5 min

GARAGEMSANTOS
24-04-2013, 19:14
Hope is what you need.

GARAGEMSANTOS
24-04-2013, 19:17
and another one

adeel_gt
24-04-2013, 21:53
Check the grey plug by the n/s suspension leg, thats what causing my speedo problems. You need to open up the male terminals and tighten up the female ones to get a better connection.

StuHERTS
25-04-2013, 11:45
Check the grey plug by the n/s suspension leg, thats what causing my speedo problems. You need to open up the male terminals and tighten up the female ones to get a better connection.
Is it located in the wheel arch or bay??
(before i take my wheel off) :)

Mr Raider
25-04-2013, 12:31
Stu,

Its in the engine bay, its a beige kind of colour, that has a black connector on it around the inside of the nearside suspension turret, you do not need to remove the wheel mate ;)

Clean this up, if this doesnt solve the problem, maybe try cleaning up the sensor/pickup that goes into the gear box side closest to engine up above exhaust downpipe :)

Brigsy
25-04-2013, 13:20

Id say this is the fix 80% of the time when the speedo packs in:agree:

StuHERTS
25-04-2013, 16:47
Think i found the grey 3pin (attached pic).

Opened it up and it looked pretty clean but i closed the pins closer so to get more contact.

I cleaned the connector on the back of the dial, plugged it in and am now getting the Mileage to clock up :)

Problem is, whilst driving with my Satnav, the car speedo is showing 10mph less than what im actually doing.
Speedo shows 10mph but im actually doing 20mph
at 50mph my speedo was on at 40mph
I did notice yesterday that when i had the actual dial out, the needle seemed to flick back.

Is it slipping or have i physically moved the Needle back 10mph lol
Ive attached a pic of my speedo showing when stationary. Does yours show the same?

Thanks for help so far guys :)

Stuart

RussellT
25-04-2013, 17:36
I got rid of that grey connector in favour of a simple block connector and no problems since. I advise you to do the same.

StuHERTS
25-04-2013, 18:02
yea will do Russell. Its just 3 pins?
Its all sorted now thanks guys.
It was 10 mph out but took needle off and moved it forward so now spot on :beer: