PDA

View Full Version : Jelly

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 18:52
I've just been poking around in my cupboard looking for stuff to eat and have come across a jelly kit. It looks pretty simple, just add water and stick it in a fridge. I have 2 problems, use by date is April 2003; I can't imagine what would go wrong with an out of date jelly, anyone know of any jelly based nasties I should worry about? Next problem, my fridge went wrong a while ago, and I can't be arsed to fix it. Will in set just sat in the kitchen, or will I have to put it outside and devise a cunning method of keeping cats and snails out of it?

I guess the jelly dates when the ex moved out, it's the kind of weird thing she'd have bought.:laugh:

Adam L
28-12-2008, 18:53
I've eaten 2 year old mayonaise before, that was kind of jelly like...

Just by coincidence, I guess, we were having a clear out of the kitchen earlier and found stuff up to 9 years old...:crap:

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 18:54
I've eaten 2 year old mayonaise before, that was kind of jelly like...

ooh, she may have left some of that in the fridge, was it any good?

Adam L
28-12-2008, 18:55
You know what, I didn't even notice, it was still sealed. I only checked the date when my mum asked where i'd got it from, as she hadn't bought any in years:laugh:

Chris Hebden
28-12-2008, 18:56
Thats pretty impressive! If Adam can get away with eating 2yr old egg based product then you'll be fine!

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 18:59
Thats pretty impressive! If Adam can get away with eating 2yr old egg based product then you'll be fine!

when she moved in she chucked out all my out of date stuff, horrified at how old it was. I'm not back to where I was yet:D

clee
28-12-2008, 18:59
It should be OK :agree:
Don't leave out in the cold to long though as it is a jellyatric :wasntme:

Chris Hebden
28-12-2008, 19:01
When i first cooked at my Mrs place, i was looking through her cupboards for strange things called "herbs" couldnt find any of that BUT i did find stuff out of date by 5 YEARS!!!!!

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 19:01
It should be OK :agree:
Don't leave out in the cold to long though as it is a jellyatric :wasntme:

Oh dear:sad2:

will it not set inside? I don't fancy sitting outside with it chasing off the cats and snails

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 19:03
When i first cooked at my Mrs place, i was looking through her cupboards for strange things called "herbs" couldnt find any of that BUT i did find stuff out of date by 5 YEARS!!!!!

I used to have some of them, they got chucked in the first wave.

Chris Hebden
28-12-2008, 19:05
HA HA HA! Cant you leave it next to an open window in the shed/garage or something? I really want to know what it'll taste like now!

BriC
28-12-2008, 19:05

will it not set inside? I don't fancy sitting outside with it chasing off the cats and snails

Cant you like.. tape multiple layers of cling film to the bowl?

clee
28-12-2008, 19:06

Just let them have at it ,then you can have trifle :agree:

Scoff
28-12-2008, 19:40
------
will I have to put it outside and devise a cunning method of keeping cats and snails out of it?
------

I would have said leave it in your workshop, not much chance of swarf getting inbedded in it, seems pretty quiet of late ;) but then I remembered that your workshop is probably warmer than the house.

Frix
28-12-2008, 20:14
i wouldnt eat it mate, def not!

Ashy
28-12-2008, 21:29
Thing is its not exactly a "quick fix" for your hungar requirements!?

You know it take a few hours for it to set properly even in the fridge!!

Try to speed it up by using 1/2 a pint of boiling water, disolve it in that then use the coldest water you have to make make it up.

Mart
28-12-2008, 21:51
Jeez man, you miss out on a Flav' bonus this year or something?

Times must be hard when you've only got a 5 year old pack of jelly to munch on... :crap:

;)

Andrew Cooke
28-12-2008, 21:55
Jeez man, you miss out on a Flav' bonus this year or something?

Times must be hard when you've only got a 5 year old pack of jelly to munch on... :crap:

;)

times are hard, but I'm going to save the jelly to the new year, maybe make it in stages, I don't fancy living off a pint of jelly:D

Ashy
28-12-2008, 22:09
you can eat it raw, its quite nice... Or my favourite, cut the jelly into chunks and drop into the boiling water, as they are disolving fish them out and eat them, kinda warm and gooey (just the way I like it) ;)

Then dring the juice as a hot drink!! Lovely :smokin:

OUTLAW
28-12-2008, 22:16
you can eat it raw, its quite nice... Or my favourite, cut the jelly into chunks and drop into the boiling water, as they are disolving fish them out and eat them, kinda warm and gooey (just the way I like it) ;)

:chuckup:........................lol:wasntme:

Mart
28-12-2008, 22:25

Shouldn't it be your pregnant missus who has a craving for weird & wonderful food? ;) :D

Maka
29-12-2008, 10:23
get a bowl, add water then attack it with a co2 fire extinguisher.

that should set it nice!!!!!

You wont have any problems with cats and snails then. Not living ones anyway,

Trevhib
29-12-2008, 10:37
Look Andy, just get on with it :xbones: or put the jelly in the classifieds.

:D

rs250nut
29-12-2008, 10:42
£1 ?

Tiny Tim
29-12-2008, 10:49
Use the Jelly as a trap for the cat. Cat meat for dinner. Sorted.